3rd Trimester

plans for future children?

i know it's kinda early to think about more children, but what are your thoughts? is this your first? do you want atleast one of each gender? if you got one of each would you still want more? i have a 3 year old son and a girl on the way, my husband is content since we will soon have one of each.. im not sure, i always wanted 3 since growing up with one brother n one sister was nice i am the middle child and didn't mind it at all.. i guess it depends on how financially set we are!!

Re: plans for future children?

• We have a 2.5 year old DD and kept going back and forth between having two or three kids. Then, we found out we were having twins and that decision was made for us. We are having one of each, but would have been done no matter what genders we were given. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • mopsiemopsie member

This is our first, and DH and I both want two.  We're both middle children and we HATED being the middle child, so we don't want to do that to our kids.  That said, I can't decide if I'd want two girls or a girl and a boy... DH was desperate for a little girl and he's getting his wish (he's one of three boys), and as much as I'd like to say I want one of each, I can't imagine not having a sister (I have a brother and sister)... so this whole "we're stopping at two" thing may not last very long...

Pregnancy-wise this has been smooth sailing... so far.  So I haven't experienced anything that would make me not want to get pregnant again... but ask me again in 5 weeks. Smile 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have always wanted a large family, and thought 4 would be a great number of children to have. We started trying for a family in December of 07 and found out we were pregnant in September 2009.  So now our plan is that we dont have a plan.  We hope and pray to have more children one day and will not prevent that from happening, but I am also trying to prepare myself that that may not happen.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday   tickers image image "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1
  • We have DD #1 and DD #2 on the way...we are going to try for one more probably within the next two or three years.
  • Our ultimate plan is for 3 children, but we both laugh about it now and say lets see how the first one goes.  So, 3 is the goal.  We are having a boy and we don't really care about gender but it would be really nice to have a daughter.  Maybe if we have 3 boys we'll go for #4 and see if we get a girl.  haha! who knows!
  • We're done, this is our second child and it's a girl.  Our children will be 13 months apart, and dh and I decided we only want to have 2 children.   I will be getting permanently fixed after dd is born.
  • I always wanted at least 3 and so did DH.  That is, until about 7 months ago.  DH changed his tune and has been saying we're done after this.  I think I would still like 3 but right now, I'm taking it one day at a time and we'll see how I feel a year from now.  And I guess we'll see how DH feels too.  
  • BFab11BFab11 member

This is my first, and I know that a lot of things could change once I get into the parent role, so nothing is "set" or "planned".  This is just what I think I want, but I'm gonna go with the flow and see where life takes us.

I'm pretty sure I want 3 kids total; at least one of each gender (if we have a girl 2nd, I don't think I'll care what the 3rd is).  DH wants all boys; he's scared of having a girl because he doesn't even think about the first 14-16 years of life, his mind automatically jumps to boys and dating, so he doesn't want a girl for that reason.  I think he's insane, and I know if/when we end up having a girl she'll be daddy's princess.  

If we have 3 boys, I don't think I'd try again; for some reason 3 seems like a reasonable number, then 4 is like, "woah, that's a lot of kids!"  But who knows, maybe down the road I'll get the baby itch and wind up with a bunch of kids :) 

• We'd like to have one of each, but of course it doesn't really matter.  We are planning on two if the next LO is a boy.  If its a girl then we'll try one more time for a boy, but that's it.  We'd like to have them about two years appart, but this is all new to me so I very well could be changing my tune once I've gone through all of this! LOL
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Nope, we are DONE after DS #2.
  • My fiance and I both want to have 3. This is our first, so we'll probably wait a year or so before trying for #2. As far as the sex goes, I've already said I'd like for the second to be a girl so Elle can have a  little sister, but he's going to be hoping for a boy. I guess it really doesn't matter, as long as we have a boy somewhere in the mix...Wink
  • We want no more than 3 children. Hopefully, #2 won't come along for another 3 - 4 years.   We're fairly young (25 & 26) so there's no rush. We'll just see how it goes. 
  • We are blended together:  I have a daughter, he has two sons, and this will be our daughter together.  We will have two boys and two girls and we both think we will be done.  I don't want things to be so permanant but really four kids is a very busy house, especially when we both work full time.  (We have to so we can afford everyone!)  And as uncomfortable as I am right now I don't really want to do the whole pregnancy thing again.  If we have any more in the future, I'd be perfectly fine with that, I just don't think that's something we will plan for.
  • We want at least 4 maybe 5, but with the issues I've had with my pregnancies (PTL-bedrest), we're going to play it by ear. We'll definitely go for 3 and then we'll see from there. We'd be very happy adopting as well.
  • Our ideal plan is 4 kids, two boys and two girls. But that was always said with "we'll see how the first one goes." So far pregnancy has been a breeze. I have been incredibly lucky the entire time. I am hoping that I can toughen up for labor. I really want to have two girls because I know how important my sister is in my life, but the same goes for DH; he and his brother are very close too.

DH did say that now that we've started we're "baby tracked" meaning I'm going to spend the next several years pregnant. We don't want to be old parents, and given how many we want, I don't want to be having kids for 10 years.

• lkf041lkf041 member

We'd love to have 4... but I'm not stuck on that especially since #2 isn't even here yet.  I wanted to be done having kids by the time I was 30...had DS at 26 and now this one I just turned 28.  Guess it doesn't give us much time to get started on 3 and 4, :)

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • KKWISCKKWISC member
    Me and DH want to have 5-6 kids. I love really big families. I am the youngest of 5 and DH is 1 of 4. My sisters and my brother are my best friends and if I can give that to my kids it will be a great blessing. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so we want to have kids when I'm young so my body doesn't quit on me. After I have LO (Our first) we will try as soon as we can for number 2.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • lavet22lavet22 member

This is my second.  I have DS and DS#2 is on the way.  I always wanted 3, but DH likes even numbers (don't ask me why).  So we are definatelly trying for a girl next time, and if it's another boy, we may go ahead on #4...  We'll see.  I only have one now, so 4 seems like worlds away!!!

• We hope for at least 1 more, if not 2.  I have PCOS so we'll take what we can get :)

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • We want four children.  We are having our second son.  I was hoping to go boy, girl, boy, girl - but it didn't work out that way!  So, here's hoping the next two are girls!  We already have everyone's names picked out as well, so I don't know what we'll do if we have more boys! ;0)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is our first and we will try one more time. I am stopping at two...
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We had always said we'd want at least one of each and would consider a third. Since our 'one of each' are coming at the same time, we are reconsidering #3 for the time being.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • DH has 2 from his first marriage, they are now 13 and 11.  This one will be it for us, and right now that is completely fine with me.  Honestly, financially I don't know how we could afford another one and still live somewhat comfortably.  Right now I feel totally at ease with the thought that this little girl will be my one and only :)  I have lots of close friends that are had or are having girls right around the same time so she will have lots of close friends at least.  My sister is more than likely done after one also, so we plan on keeping my lo and my niece as close as possible.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This is our first but we would really like to have three kids. I think it all depends on what happens and how well my body keeps holding up.  We talked about the possibility of a fourth but that will have to wait to be decided on.
  • I have always wanted 2-3, but will wait to decide on #3 until after #2.  I want them pretty close in age (2 years ideally) bc that seemed to work for my family (and other people I know).  H is 5 years younger than his brother and they hated each other until they were in their 20's- I know it's not that way for everyone though. 

I do wonder about when to TTC again though.  It took us 2 years with this one.  I don't want to go through that again

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know I want more children. I do not want my LO being an only child. I was an only child and it sucked! I hated it, I remember as a kid begging my parents for a little brother or sister. So I know I wanna try for at least one more kid, probably once this LO is about a year to a year and a half. I might want more, but DH doesn't. I do not want an odd number so it's either 2 or 4 lol. I'm voting for 2!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'll be 33 and DH will be 36 this year so that's a consideration.  Neither of us want an only child so we'll definitely go for #2 at some point.  Beyond that, we'll see. 
  • Sounds like my husband and I are in the minority.  We both want just one.  We come from small families.  I have two older half brothers (12 and 13 years older), who never lived with me - they always lived with their opposite parent.  So I was basically an only.  My husband was raised by a single mom and had one younger sister.  I honestly don't know how I would handle a larger family, I'm very comfortable in small group situations, as is my husband.  We're pretty quiet, simple folks, and we are going to be so happy with our small family!!
  • DH and I have taken a "we'll see" stance. Ideally I would like to have #2 in Nov 2012. I would love to have a large family, but that involves me being pregnant a lot, and I'm not sure I want that lol.
  • h2babeh2babe member

imagenaylon511:
    I'll be 33 and DH will be 36 this year so that's a consideration.  Neither of us want an only child so we'll definitely go for #2 at some point.  Beyond that, we'll see. 

This for us too. We're going to try for a second one hopefully after our first one is about a year old. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • thank you for sharing! good luck to everyone! ?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"