Multiples

Irritable uterus?

So, my uterus contracts a lot. Every day. And sometimes it's really, really bad. This morning, for example, it woke me up. 

I can't say that it hurts. It's just uncomfortable, and it SCARES THE CRAP out of me. And I'm at the point now where I'm just constantly scared.

Whenever I have a bad bout of it, I call, and they say the same thing: Come in if you have more than 8 in an hour that are longer than 40 seconds each, or if anything else changes. I time them, though, and usually what I have is more frequent, but shorter. So I don't go in, and convince myself that I'll try to make it to the next appt. The one time that I did go in, it was because I felt crampy, too; they hooked me up the the monitor, were alarmed by the contrax, and gave me a shot.

As of my last appt, three weeks ago, my cervix was still long and closed. I have another appt today. I'm wondering, in advance of that, if any of you experienced this, and what you recommend I ask the doctor. I feel like I've had the same conversation with them about half a dozen times, and I need to approach it differently. Or, maybe I'm overreacting? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Irritable uterus?

• About 4 weeks ago I was having the same issues. They were waking me up a lot and the frequency of them alarmed me. My doctor's advice, which worked, was to really cut back on my activity. No more grocery shopping alone, picking up anything even remotely heavy, and really staying off my feet as much as possible. Once I became less active they really cut back in frequency and now I can tell the days I am more active I definately have more contractions. Good luck!
  • yup, i had it.

started around 20 weeks and followed dr's advice, went in when there were more than 6/hour, and was given fluids and sent home each time.  one dr. even said to me "this is how it's going to be with a twin pregnancy, just get used to it." Confused

my cervix never changed, but what changed the dr.'s tune was when i went in for the same thing at 29 weeks and got a + FFN.  even though my cervix was still long and closed, i was sent home on bedrest and procardia.

• Loading the player...
  • Have you told your DOCTOR about this, the office staff might just tell a blanket statement to everyone and not say a word to your doc unless they think there's a problem.  There were times that I'd have 8 or more BH's an hour, told my OB at 28w and was put on Procardia that day.  I ended up on hospital BR for 5 days at 32w4d and then home BR until 36w.  From 28w I was getting weekly internals b/c my cervix was starting to shorten and when I first went into the hospital I was 2cm dilated.  Definitely make sure to tell your OB how concerned you are.
  • janjagjanjag member

like you i had LOTS that were shorter than 40sec.  had lots of bh, but an irritable uterus.  sometimes though, i would think they were short and on a monitor they would show up bigger & longer. 

it likely woke you in the morning b/c you had to pee!  a full bladder can definitely bring on bh.  don't hold when you have to pee. 

i guess just make sure that your cervix is checked often.  you could ask for every 2wks if your doc doesn't start getting you in more often.  you don't mention if it gets worse when you have a lot of activity...  might need to take it easy.   GL.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Oh yes, I always speak directly to the doctor. I will bring it up again today. 

imageAussie*s_Mom:
    Have you told your DOCTOR about this, the office staff might just tell a blanket statement to everyone and not say a word to your doc unless they think there's a problem.  There were times that I'd have 8 or more BH's an hour, told my OB at 28w and was put on Procardia that day.  I ended up on hospital BR for 5 days at 32w4d and then home BR until 36w.  From 28w I was getting weekly internals b/c my cervix was starting to shorten and when I first went into the hospital I was 2cm dilated.  Definitely make sure to tell your OB how concerned you are.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had an irretable uterus, contracting all day every day, at times, I would have 20 BHs in 2 hours.  Evenings were worse than mornings for some reason.  I carried my boys until 37w4days with this and it was that way until the last day.  At my NSTs at the end, the contractions were registering a 10, even though they were not painful and the nurses kept asking me if I was cramping (I was not, just regular BHs for me).  Throughout the entire pregnancy, I was worried...never take the contractions for granted, but I stayed pregnant and they didn't change my cervical length.  So you may be just fine and carry well into full term with an irretable uterus.  Just make sure that your doctors are checking your cervical length ALL the time (every week for me when the BHs first started and then every other week once the Drs. were comfortable that I "just" had an irretable uterus).  It suck to have an irretable uterus...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"