Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Question to new mom's from pregnant lady

Morning new mom's, Congrats! I just had a few questions if you don't mind me lurking and bothering you. 1) If you were induced was it horrible? It makes me very nervous. It hasnt been brought up to me but in case it does I am worried about it... 2) did anyone do anything to get their labor going? Sex, pineapple, walking... ext? Thanks so much I appreciate the answers. Smile

Re: Question to new mom's from pregnant lady

• My induction wasn't horrible. Overall it was easy. The only negative was that it was long (38 hours).

But the vast majority of it was a piece of cake. I was just bored, to be honest.

• imagemjames02:
    Morning new mom's, Congrats! I just had a few questions if you don't mind me lurking and bothering you. 1) If you were induced was it horrible? It makes me very nervous. It hasnt been brought up to me but in case it does I am worried about it... 2) did anyone do anything to get their labor going? Sex, pineapple, walking... ext? Thanks so much I appreciate the answers. Smile

1)  It depends on your readiness.  I was only a finger tip dilated and 35% effaced when they began induction at 40 weeks, 5 days.  It was extremely painful but that's because DS was sunny-side up and I was having back-labor.  Also, I tried to go without the epidural, which I would never, EVER do again.  The epidural was wonderful.  After three rounds of Cyotec and several hours of Pitocin, and 26 hours, they decided to do a C-Section.  I LOVED my C-Section and the recovery (for me... different for everyone) was an absolute breeze.

My recommendations would be - Get the epidural as soon as you possibly can.  Don't be afraid of a C-Section if one is offered.

2) I was told that the only things that MAY work are walking and sex.  The sex softens your cervix, much like Cyotec or Cervadil would.  Neither of those things worked for me, though, and we were having sex nightly.

Good luck and don't worry.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was induced at 39w5d because I was sick of being pregnant and I begged. (Flame if you want people) it worked out great for me. My OB told me though that she thought I would have a favorable induction because I was already having a lot of cervical change.  They broke my bag at 7 am started pitocin at 7:30 and I had the baby at 3:45pm. The contractions hurt but I got the epi and it was all good. It may have helped that I was already contracting when I went in. Every 2-6 minutes according the monitor but I couldn't feel them really, it felt like I had a poop stomach ache.

I did walk in the mall for about 6 hours the day before to put myself into labor if I could and I was contracting so I went in. I don't think that anything works really. Good Luck and I know how you feel I was ready to be done being pregnant but seriously your sweet baby will be here before you know it!

• Thank you guys very much. It's really helpful to read others stories. As of last week I was 2cm and 100% effaced. My next apt is tomorrow. I feel like now that I'm on maternity leave, I'm literally just waiting. And no doing anything which I hate. I'll let a walk in today and see how things turn out. Thanks again! Much appreciated!!
  • I ate an entire pineapple then had him a couple hours later.
  • flgatorflgator member
    I was induced with both of my boys, and both were fast.  I had good experiences with both.  With the 1st, I was 1 cm and not effaced at all.  With the 2nd, I was 3 cm and 80% effaced. I tried to get labor going with the 2nd by walking but it didn't work. 
  • My labor was 13 1/2 hours.  I won't lie, contractions sucked and they were very intense all day but once the epi was given, it was a breeze.  Don't be nervous.  You'll do just fine.  I tried EVERYTHING to go into labor naturally and nothing worked.  My body just wouldn't dilate.  I effaced just fine though.  The doc stretched me several times to get me to open up.  GOOD LUCK!!!

• I had my membranes stripped on a wednesday night. On Saturday I went out and bought one of those big exercise balls and bounced and rocked back and forth on it for 6 hours that day. Contractions started at midnight and lo was here at 9:21am! And that was 6 days early. I say give it a try, if anything it feels so good to sit on, you can use it during labor, and you can use it after to exercise and lose the baby weight!

ETA- I was 2 cm and 75% effaced

• I was 2+ and stretchy when I was induced at 39 weeks.  They started pitocin at 8:15 and at 9:20 they broke my water.  I had DS at 11:03.  Start to finish was 2 hours 45 min.  I am a 2nd time mom though.  My body knew what to do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagemjames02:
    Thank you guys very much. It's really helpful to read others stories. As of last week I was 2cm and 100% effaced. My next apt is tomorrow. I feel like now that I'm on maternity leave, I'm literally just waiting. And no doing anything which I hate. I'll let a walk in today and see how things turn out. Thanks again! Much appreciated!!

The last couple weeks are very frustrating and the waiting is very hard.

One thing people told me, that didn't really mean much to me, at the time was this...

Your life will never be the same as it is right now.  Just you and your DH and the ability to sleep when you want, run errands when you want, etc.  I know you probably feel like total crap so that really doesn't matter but if you can, take advantage of some nice together-time with DH, treat yourself to a pedicure, take lots of naps... All things that will be harder to do once baby is here! 

• Being induced was the easy part. They gave me cervadil and of course I had to have all 3 rounds (total of 36 hours) to finally be dialated because at 41 weeks I was 0! So you literally are just sitting around waiting for your next 12 hour check. It sounds like you're already ahead of the game being that you're already dialated so you'll probably skip that part and go right to the pitocin. After my 36 hours I was finally 4cm and then they gave me pitocin (and an epidural) and 8 hours later I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl... then you forget all that agony of waiting with sleepless nights of being uncomfortable and it's just new mother bliss :)

Hang in there it's the best experience of your life!!

• Thanks you guys. I will remember that this is the only time DH and I get to be alone for awhile. I wont take it for granted. I'm going to enjoy it now while I can. Thanks!
  • My induction sucked, and I ended up with a c-section. I think it depends on if your body is ready or not.

I had a pedicure with DD and had her a few hours later.

• I was 6 days overdue when I finally went into labor on my own. I was scheduled for induction the following day. I walked A LOT. about 1 mile 2 times a day for a week. And DH and I had sex for the few days before I had LO. GL!
  • I was 1 cm and 50% effaced for 3 weeks and never progressed further on my own. I tried everything--walking, pineapple, sex, acupuncture, bouncing on exercise ball, spicy food, etc.  I tried it all.  nothing worked

I was induced at 40 weeks 5 days and was very unhappy about it.  I was hoping for a natural birth but had come to terms with the fact that if I had pitocin, I would get an epidural.  It took 27 hours from start to finish but I was only in "active" labor for about 6 hours.  Like pp said--get the epidural as soon as you can.  I got it when I was about 3 cm and didn't feel a thing, not even when my 9 pounder was coming out.  

The induction wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, it did just take way too long and I got really bored and hungry.  

No matter what means it takes to get your kid out, it will all be worth it and it won't matter because you will have your LO.  GL!

• 1)  I didn't have to end up being induced.  Went at 40 w 4 d.

2)  I was walking like crazy, but I'm not sure if it really helped out or not.  It might have just been the right time for DD to decide to come!  But I walked on the treadmill for a couple of times a day and then on the day I actually went into labor, my mom & I walked the mall for a few hours.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"