3rd Trimester

2 friends/same dr/ both 36 wks/ diff delivery dates

Happy Thursday everyone!

My friend and I are both 36 weeks pregnant, both with our 2nd child, and we have the same OB. She's inducing on May 20th, and I'm inducing June 1. I am dilated 1 cm and already lost my mucus plug. She hasn't dilated yet and hasn't lost her plug. The Dr told her he didn't think she was going to make it until the 20th...but hasn't mentioned that at all with me.

I know every woman/ pregnancy is different but considering the above factors, I am just curious on what it all means medically and what other factors possibly contributed to his date decisions. The one main thing is that she is 26 and I'm 38...so maybe that's it??

Thanks! ?

Re: 2 friends/same dr/ both 36 wks/ diff delivery dates

• I would think if you were older than her (which you are...lol) he would induce you first for risk complications or whatever? Maybe he's predicting her baby to be larger? Strange....

If you knew how lonely my life has been And how long I've been so alone And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along And change my life the way you've done

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

pregnancy

Anniversary
  • It seems like if anything, since you're older you'd be induced sooner.  That is strange that it's a 12 day difference.  Maybe she has other factors in her medical history, or her size in relation to her LO's size or something that's contributing to the difference?  If she's 36 weeks, she's being induced before her due date, and the Dr. must have a reason for that.

Weird.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Totally weird...thank you both for your input.

Maybe it is the age thing lol. Or tons of things I'm unaware of. :)

• there has to be something you do not know about. 12 days is too big of a difference. Being 1cm dilated and having lost your mucus plug doesn't mean anything, for all you know she could go into labor naturally before you ever do.
  • Maybe he's thinking you'll go into labor on your own and won't need to be induced. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Maybe he figures that since you're progressing naturally that he doesn't have to schedule an induction for you even though a date is already in place. Just because an induction date is scheduled, doesn't mean that it will be used if the baby decides to arrive sooner. I wouldn't worry so much about the induction date and only mention it to the doctor if you lose too much fluid while waiting for more progress with your dialation.

I was also thinking along the lines of the other poster, that maybe your friend's baby is measuring big and he has some concerns regarding that. 38 weeks is considered full term and the 20th would be in the 39th week.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ok, I don't want to be a b!tch here, but age has NOTHING to do with this. If anythign it would be the opposite.

And there is NO WAY, NO HOW, any doctor could predict WHEN you will og into labor. I was 4 cm at my 37 week appt and completly effaced, and was induced at 41weeks 3 days because I had not gone into labor!

• Yeah I had also considered that maybe he set it far enough in advance assuming that I may go into labor naturally...which is cool. Either way is fine with me. I'm just ready freddddy!

:)

• imageVandRicky:

ok, I don't want to be a b!tch here, but age has NOTHING to do with this. If anythign it would be the opposite.

And there is NO WAY, NO HOW, any doctor could predict WHEN you will og into labor. I was 4 cm at my 37 week appt and completly effaced, and was induced at 41weeks 3 days because I had not gone into labor!

I don't think you're being a ***, age may not be relevant in his decision, and I don't feel that any Dr could claim to know the exact time/ date a baby is born either. Which is pretty much why i was considering all factors. :) thnx

• There's a lot of factors.  Depending on how things go, my OB may recommend I be induced 'early' because this LO is measuring 3 weeks ahead and DD was large, I have a low lying placenta that increases risk for bleeding/emergency c-section, and I had a rapid first labor.  A larger baby might increase the risk of the bleed, and given the fast first labor she may want me to start in the hospital.  Your friend may have other medical issues, and has kept them private (I know a lot of my friends IRL don't know about all of this, just hasn't come up in conversation).

• imagemysticporter:
    There's a lot of factors.  Depending on how things go, my OB may recommend I be induced 'early' because this LO is measuring 3 weeks ahead and DD was large, I have a low lying placenta that increases risk for bleeding/emergency c-section, and I had a rapid first labor.  A larger baby might increase the risk of the bleed, and given the fast first labor she may want me to start in the hospital.  Your friend may have other medical issues, and has kept them private (I know a lot of my friends IRL don't know about all of this, just hasn't come up in conversation).

i agree- good point! The more I've thought on it, I'm sure it's likely our individual medical history/ baby's size at this point causing him to set diff dates. Besides, it would seem kind of cookie cutterish if "all people 36 wks come in on ________",and then,  "all people 37 weeks come in on ____", so it makes sense that they would be individualized or staggered.

• Does your friend have any medical problems- high BP, swelling, pre-e, big baby, or anything like that which would cause the doc to want to induce her earlier?

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"