Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

why is paci use not recommended?

our pedi told us not to restrict paci use as infants have a strong desire to suck and it is comforting to them.  He told us not to take away something that she is comforted by.

So now we use it to calm her when she is being fussy (after making sure she is fed and has a clean diaper).  

Why are people so against paci use on this board?

DD is formula fed.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: why is paci use not recommended?

• Options
    I think its just personal preference really.  We started giving DD a paci because she was sucking her thumb and we didn't want a thumb sucker...figured we can take the paci away eventually but can't take her thumb away.  Our pedi basically told us the same thing yours did.
  • Options
    Some people believe it causes nipple confusion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We use it to help calm her down before she sleeps. In the hospital they actually gave us one to use and said that as long as she is doing okay with breastfeeding there is no problem to use it.
  • Options
    Why did you post this twice?
  • Options
    imagekate1011:
    Some people believe it causes nipple confusion.

This.  I personally have no such problem.  I use the newborn Soothie from the hospital, Liam takes the occasional bottle from DH, but I EBF otherwise without any trouble.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We let our son use a paci when he sleeps. Our son has no problem with nipple confusion like people told me he would have. He breastfeeds great and can tell the difference. I know when he is hungry cause he will either pull the paci out or will spit it out cause he can tell the difference.
  • Options
    Big JBig J member
    I don't know what the big deal is.  I posted a picture of DD on Facebook the other day with a paci in her mouth and I had so many "take that thing out of her mouth!"  and "she doesn't need that!" comments...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My mom always says, "You don't want her to get hooked on that, don't force her!"  DD RARELY takes the paci, though, so I'm not worried that it's going to be something she needs down the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"