Babies: 0 - 3 Months

My son will only sleep on his belly

I know everyone says that sleeping on babies bellies is not good, but He just won't sleep any other way. I have been letting him sleep like that because I really don't see the harm. I know what all the experts say and it does scare me but I just want him to sleep. Does anyone else have a child who just likes their belly and lets them sleep on it? I would feel better knowing I'm not the only one who lets their child sleep on their belly.

Re: My son will only sleep on his belly

• I'm sure plenty of other people do but it's not a chance I would personally take. I would try and get him used to sleeping on his back. How old is he? Do you swaddle?

Start putting him on his back during naps, etc. and eventually he should get it.

• If he falls asleep during tummy time I let him sleep that way but I never put him on his belly to start out the night.  Once he can flip over, if he decides to sleep that way that's all him.

• Loading the player...
  • I know its not recomended but it is the only way our LO will sleep due to gas/stomach issues.  I do worry but got an angelcare monitor this week and had to weigh our options since she was not getting any sleep.  I know there is a riski but most of us were put ot sleep on our tummies since that was once the best.
  • I am with you. I have been trying for 3+ weeks to get him to sleep on his back. The longest is about an hour and that is with a pillow ( I am awake and in the room). I will let him during the day for naps cause otherwise he won't nap. I keep an overhead fan on, so the co2 does not pool at his face and check on him more often then I would like to admit.

Today, he had only slept for a total of 2 hours since 530 AM bc I keeping laying him down on his back. Finally, got him to sleep at 830 pm (he was overtired and cranky), layed him on his back and he slept for an hour before waking up screaming. DH finally said that he was taking over and put him on his tummy. At night, he sleeps in his swing cause I am too paranoid to let him be unobserved on his tummy.

I don't know what else to do. I read to much to be okay with a tummy sleeper. But, then I have all these people telling me that their baby would only sleep on their tummy and they are fine. SIL said that with each one of her kids the recommendations changed. She told me for her third the recommendation was for them to sleep on their tummy, but he would only sleep on his back! So, the only comprimise she could get was to let him sleep in his carseat.

• My LO sleeps on my chest on his belly (not all the time though).  For some reason it makes me feel better that he's on my chest.  I have heard that being close to you actually reduces SIDs because they can better regulate their temperature, heart rate and respiration. 

• imagesmittysoup:

My LO sleeps on my chest on his belly (not all the time though).  For some reason it makes me feel better that he's on my chest.  I have heard that being close to you actually reduces SIDs because they can better regulate their temperature, heart rate and respiration. 

This is true.  Part of the benefits of cosleeping/bed sharing is the reduced risk of SIDS.  

All babies sleep better on their tummies.  The risk is that they sleep so much better they go into a deeper sleep and may forget to breath.  It isn't CO2 poisoning, it is more like apnea.  That is how 2 different peds have explained it to me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsRebecca:

I'm sure plenty of other people do but it's not a chance I would personally take. I would try and get him used to sleeping on his back. How old is he? Do you swaddle?

Start putting him on his back during naps, etc. and eventually he should get it.

He is 3 weeks old and when I say from the day he was born, from the moment he was born and we tried to put him to sleep on his back he would scream and cry. Eventually my nurse told me to put him on his belly and he fell asleep within 10 minutes. We tried the swaddling he hates it. Cries and kicks to be let out. He hates being wrapped up.

• imagejmrussell03:

I am with you. I have been trying for 3+ weeks to get him to sleep on his back. The longest is about an hour and that is with a pillow ( I am awake and in the room). I will let him during the day for naps cause otherwise he won't nap. I keep an overhead fan on, so the co2 does not pool at his face and check on him more often then I would like to admit.

Today, he had only slept for a total of 2 hours since 530 AM bc I keeping laying him down on his back. Finally, got him to sleep at 830 pm (he was overtired and cranky), layed him on his back and he slept for an hour before waking up screaming. DH finally said that he was taking over and put him on his tummy. At night, he sleeps in his swing cause I am too paranoid to let him be unobserved on his tummy.

I don't know what else to do. I read to much to be okay with a tummy sleeper. But, then I have all these people telling me that their baby would only sleep on their tummy and they are fine. SIL said that with each one of her kids the recommendations changed. She told me for her third the recommendation was for them to sleep on their tummy, but he would only sleep on his back! So, the only comprimise she could get was to let him sleep in his carseat.

I wish mine would sleep in his car seat or in his swing, but he just won't. He likes his belly. Thats all he wants. He hates feeling closed in and not being able to move. I keep an overhead fan on as well as a free standing fan too so that room stays cool. I figure that everyone my age and older slept on their bellies and did fine so it can't be that bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"