Multiples

I'm EXHAUSTED - Need suggestions please

I don't think I've slept longer than two hours at a time for the past 3 days, and I'm so exhausted.  When I try to sleep I get really sore if I stay in one position for a while, and it takes me a while to fall back asleep when I switch positions.  But the worst is that I'm just sleeping so lightly, it seems like any little thing wakes me up.  On top of it all I just feel so miserable in general.  I think that if I could get some good sleep I would be able to cope much better, because I know that things are only going to get worse.

So, what helped you get some good sleep?  Is there any sleep aids that are safe to take?  I'm not big on taking meds anytime, but I just don't know what to do anymore.  TIA!

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
The Bump MoM Recipe Collection

Re: I'm EXHAUSTED - Need suggestions please

• sorry :( it sucks. i actually used to lie on the couch & cry in those last few weeks in the middle of the night after trying a million positions. I was supposed to be "enjoying " the rest blah blah blah only no one understood that getting that rest/sleep was so difficult...My issue was more carpal tunnel in both hands though so no position really helped me... BUT you can take tylenol PM. I did it a few times when I was having some erratic contractions (per OBs rec of course ;) ) and it did help me sleep. GL! 

• I almost wrote this very same post today, except that I am much earlier than you.  I just can't seem to get ANY sleep and feel extremely sluggish through out the day.  My body and my legs just drag ....I'm going to ask my OB for a blood test to see if i'm missing any nutrients, I just don't remember feeling this exhausted during my first pregnancy.  It's almost as if I have the flu, but it's been going on for weeks now....

On occasion, and approved by my OB, I take Unisom (50mg) or a lesser amount (25mg) made by Wal-mart called Equate-Nightime Sleep aid or if you're a lavender person, they make oils you can drop on your pillow before you go to bed, that can usually help you relax enough to catch a few zzz's.  I really hope you get some sleep soon!

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was in so much pain when I slept at the end (especially if I even THOUGHT about moving, and I had to move b/c I had to pee 10,000 times a night!!).

The only thing that helped me was to sleep on my couch. I needed support on ALL sides of me to be comfortable. So, I laid on my side, w/ my back against the back of the couch and a pillow wedged under my belly (like a throw pillow). It helped a ton. I didn't get to sleep next to DH :(, but if I even tried sleeping in the bed, it didn't work.

GL!! It'll all be worth it soon enough!

• i'm not sure (you can ask OB) but i think unisom is safe in pg.  i also took ambien in hosp, and at home when things got too hard.  maybe not every night, but whenever i wanted.  i was stuck in bed 24/7, so would nap during day, and nights were very hard.  dh was good about helping me get back to sleep.  10min of stroking hair, or back, or kneading my butt or legs (sciatica) really did help.

had a body pillow to hug, and a small wedge (boppy brand i think) for behind my back, or sometimes a regular pillow for behind my back.

GL.  i know it sucks.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the tips ladies!  I so wish I had a couch to lay on - we're in between couches right now (it's a long story), and only have a futon in our living room.  It doesn't have nearly enough padding on it, so my hips, back and tail bone just kill me when I'm on it for more than an hour or so.  UGH!

I looked up the approved med list my office gave me and while they don't say anything about what to use for sleep, it does say I can use benedryl for allergies - which are staring to bother me too.  Maybe I'll try a benedryl before bed tonight and see if that helps.  I just hate to call the on call doc and bother them with this since it's not an emergency

Thanks again!.

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
  • imageAlishaMay:

I just hate to call the on call doc and bother them with this since it's not an emergency

seriously, bother away!  they really don't mind.  your health is extremely important and sleep is a big part of it.  call them ....   :o)

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Try some Ambian.  I took it towards the end.  I didn't take it often because I was unsure if it was habit forming.  It was so nice to actually STTN or just wake up once to pee.  You really need your sleep now while you can get it.

ETA:  Ambian is safe during pg, it was prescribed to me while I was in the hospital at 32w for PTL.

• yup benadryl is ok- that is what makes the pm in tylenol pm...
  • Benadryl is a miracle. According to my ob, you can take up to 50 mg per 6 hours. I found that even just 12.5 - 25 mg was enough to get me to sleep. I used it frequently toward the end of my first pregnancy and at the beginning of this one.
  • I haven't really slept in weeks. My normal sleep pattern is 1-4 and then 7-9 (I'm off work). Its hard. I finally slept today, all day. I guess my body desperatly needed it. I put on poker and off I went. I can't sleep in beds though. I sleep on our recliner or couch.
  • Yeah my fertility doc told me to take benedryl both for my stuffiness and allergies at night and to help me sleep. I also just posted a message on this board about getting a memory foam pad which worked for me last night! Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Try some earplugs, if I didn't use them I don't think I would get any sleep at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"