3rd Trimester

Pot more important than family???

So, I am being induced Monday and my hospital's standard for post partum stay is 48-72 hours. This means I will be in the hospital on Tuesday. And, according to the younger generation (my generation) 4/20 is supposedly "National Pot Smoking Day". I have never taken much stock in the supposed "holiday" as I find drugs and alcohol totally unappealing.

I mentioned to my two brothers (who are both younger) that I'd like them to visit on Tuesday and we'd order pizza to my room (local shop gives free large pizza to new moms) to celebrate LO's arrival. And my youngest brother got upset when my Mom said it was a good idea!

Later, I asked why he was mad and he said it was because he had other plans for that day. I pressed him further and he said he and his friends had plans to smoke pot and celebrate.

Sooo. . .I guess weed is more important than family? Especially when it's illegal? Am I just getting overly worked up? What would you do? It just makes me feel really crappy about myself that my baby brother would rather smoke pot than come see me. . .

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pot more important than family???

• Sorry, but I LOL'd at the sheer ridiculousness.  Not cool, MsKay's lil bro!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
  • It sucks, but it seems the younger generation has a different idea of family and how to spend time with us, etc.

I wouldn't say anything, TBH. It's his choice and now you know that his priorities lie differently then yours do and that perhaps he shouldn't be a babysitter for LO?
  • Loading the player...
  • No you are not overreacting. I would be pissed too, but at the same time idk how young your brother is but he sounds pretty immature. Maybe he isnt old enough to "get" that a baby is a really big deal.
  • You're not over reacting its ridiculous its not even a REAL holiday..

They can smoke pot any day of the week if thats what they want to do.. My brother (16, almost 17) said something pretty stupid also I asked him if he was going to see me in the hospital and he said something like "Only if it gets me out of school, if its a weekend or something, no." I'm like what? Really? 

• I would be pissed too! I am due the 9th and my brother's 21st bday is the 10 and he even said that if LO was overdue he could postpone celebrating. I think that is way more important than 4/20.
  • imageAzrayla:

You're not over reacting its ridiculous its not even a REAL holiday..

They can smoke pot any day of the week if thats what they want to do.. My brother (16, almost 17) said something pretty stupid also I asked him if he was going to see me in the hospital and he said something like "Only if it gets me out of school, if its a weekend or something, no." I'm like what? Really? 

Nice to know I'm not alone

• Younger brothers are dumb and don't quite get family priorities.  Mine is praying that I go past my due date so he will be gone to Canada on a class trip!  He also "wasn't sure if he could make it to my wedding because Pokemon was on."  I know that it sucks he's more interested in pot then you and the baby, but hopefully he'll outgrow it.  Don't take it personally even though its hard not to.
    Baby #3 is on the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

Also Mama to Max 5/21/10 and Lucy 6/18/12
  • imageMarcnShaun:
    It sucks, but it seems the younger generation has a different idea of family and how to spend time with us, etc.

I wouldn't say anything, TBH. It's his choice and now you know that his priorities lie differently then yours do and that perhaps he shouldn't be a babysitter for LO?

This.

And, yes - that's a sucky thing for him to do to you....

• I would be pretty pissed too. I'm pretty young myself however, I wouldn't skip family things to go smoke some pot, laugh at spongebob (which I think you have to be stoned to find funny and not annoying), and eat oreos, cheehtos, and pizza. However, I know some kids that are probably way worse on 4/20 then that. I graduated highschool year of '08 and a ton of myfriends took that day off of school and just smoked pot ALL DAY! I wanna know how 16, 17, and 18 year old kids afford that much weed? Whatever, your brother is being a butt. I would be pissed not only for him not wanting to come visiting you but that he's making such a poor decision with his life and smoking pot in his free time! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The title made me laugh, because my ex left me and LO [and moved across the country] for pot. So yes, immature people will choose pot over family. Needless to say, I feel the same as you do about the 'holiday'.

It does seem quite ridiculous that he couldn't come and visit even for a brief amount of time. I am pretty sure smoking can wait, as it is 4/20 for a whole 24 hours and all. I'm sorry that he feels that visiting with you in the hospital isn't important enough to postpone his plans to sit around with friends. Plus, free pizza. Isn't that the best way for him to spend the day? Same food, just more legal and less mind-numbing.

I'd be pissed, but due to my situation & hormones, I've got a little bit of a personal issue with marijuana. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nana_Osaki: I'm 21 and I graduated in '07 so I totally get what you're saying. And, as for SpongeBob, I am convinced the creator was in the middle of an acid trip when he/she came up with the idea. . .same for the illustrators.

ChristinaMS: I have a personal vendetta with "pot". Kids say it's harmless, but I've seen it almost kill someone.

• imageChristinaMS:

The title made me laugh, because my ex left me and LO [and moved across the country] for pot. So yes, immature people will choose pot over family. Needless to say, I feel the same as you do about the 'holiday'.

My friend left her ex because of this..he would rather drop her daughter off at his moms while my friend worked to go smoke pot instead of watch his own daughter..and always talked about moving back to Nebraska just because his friends and weed were there.. Its really sad what people will choose over what should really be important to them..

ETA: Also throwing in..I dont do drugs..nor do I drink..but I'm sorry..I like spongebob (to an extent).. I'm 20 though so go ahead and use it against me ;D

• I wouldn't be too upset over it. It just speaks volumes about his maturity level.
    I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. 1Samuel 1:27 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Team Peeta Tag Pictures, Images and Photos
  • My brother's birthday is 4/20 and his AOL screenname was his name with 420 after it.  All my friends thought he was a pothead because of the 420, but he made it up when he was like 10 and had no idea!!!  
  • That is messed up! You should not feel crappy for his stupid choices. I am a bit of a Biatch when ticked off so I would sell his booty out to my parents in a heart beat if they asked why he wasn't there. Either by flat out telling them or by saying "maybe you should ask him what he is doing"
  • I would be upset but at the same time most boys see things differently then we do.  It also just shows his maturity level.  He probably doesn't realize how important him visiting is to you. 
  • imageAzrayla:
    imageChristinaMS:

The title made me laugh, because my ex left me and LO [and moved across the country] for pot. So yes, immature people will choose pot over family. Needless to say, I feel the same as you do about the 'holiday'.

My friend left her ex because of this..he would rather drop her daughter off at his moms while my friend worked to go smoke pot instead of watch his own daughter..and always talked about moving back to Nebraska just because his friends and weed were there.. Its really sad what people will choose over what should really be important to them..

ETA: Also throwing in..I dont do drugs..nor do I drink..but I'm sorry..I like spongebob (to an extent).. I'm 20 though so go ahead and use it against me ;D

I'll be 27 and I still think the show is funny.

• OMG.  I would REALLY give my bro a pc of my mind if this were the case.  That's SO riduculous.  He really needs to get his priorities in order.  Would he be ok if you went to the bar instead of visiting him at the hospital after a surgery or something?

I have to be honest, we chose to delay my c/s for 1 day b/c of this "holiday" and...well...it's Hitler's b'day.  So, if I can CHOOSE my LO's b'day, I didn't want it to be 4/20.

Good luck tomorrow! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are getting worked up about nothing.   Remember that your pregnancy is to you a life changing thing, whereas to others it is just another child. Your brother has a whole lifetime of getting to know his niece/nephew.  Who cares about the first 3 days?  You'll look awful, feel tired...etc.  Why would you want more visitors?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"