Baby Names

immediate thoughts on Magnolia?

dh and I were throwing out names the other day and this one came up.  we both decided we kind of like it, but i'm not sure if it's a little awkward as a name.  what are you thoughts?  is maggie the obvious nickname (dh suggested noli(e?) as a NN).

Re: immediate thoughts on Magnolia?

• NMS

Maggie would be my first thought on a nn, but Noli would work if that's what you chose to call her. 

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • I think flower, then movie.  Then I saw that sister was Lillian, and I thought flower some more.  Nms.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I loove flower names for girls and I think Magnolia is beautiful I'd prefer the name Noli(a) but Maggie is cute too.

I also like Lavender, Iris and Ivy.

• I think its very unique and pretty, and I really like the nn Noli.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • kcl22kcl22 member

I really dislike Magnolia BUT if you nn her Maggie and stick to that it's kind of cute.  I agree it's a little awkward.  It makes me think old lady.

• nms 

but it is kind of cute...

noli makes me think canoli though 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelaur2534:
    I think flower, then movie.  Then I saw that sister was Lillian, and I thought flower some more.  Nms.

These were my thoughts too.

I do love Maggie though!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Not for a child.
  • Different but cute. I prefer the nn Maggie over Noli.
  • I think of tree when I hear that name.

If you like the name Maggie just name her that. :)

• i think of a flower when i hear the name, it will go well with lillian. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's cute for a little girl, but not an adult.  I don't care for Maggie as a nn.
  • I love magnolias and I love the way the word magnolia sounds and rolls off the tongue but I don't like it as a name....you are right, it is awkward.
  • It's the name of a plantation home here in SC, so that's what I automatically think of. I haven't decided if I like it as a name, but Maggie or Nolie would be cute nns.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• nms

makes me think of cupcakes. there is a magnolia bakery here in nyc that is famous for their cupcakes. ?

• Don't like it at all. Rose translates well to a name, Magnolia not so much. Sorry.
  • Magnolia is NMS.

Lillian Mae is my nieces name though. She is about the same age as your DD.

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I think it's pretty and I like Maggie as a nickname. Definitely different, but not in a 'made up' or weird way.
  • maggie or meg could work but i would probably call her may. i think it's cuter and less like a dog's name than maggie. i think it's adorable. i like that it's an old name that was never very popular so it doesn't sound old at all.
  • Yeah, I do kind of like it!
    Cy (04.02.2008) & June (10.05.2010) 
  • NMS.  I think of the magnolia tree in my front yard -- a tree that has been a pain to care for.

So I don't really think of it as a child's name.

• That's my dad's nn for me & my name is Megan.  I never thought about it for a name in itself though.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • NMS, but Maggie is cute. I also like Nola (rather than Noli) as a possible nn.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!  I even love Noli or Nolie as a nickname.  I think it's beautiful and different.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love it.  Maggie as nickname is still great.
  • I loooove it.  I like Noli and Maggie and Lia as nicknames.  Do you have connections to the South?  If so, I like it even more.  I think the world needs more names that remind people of cupcakes!
  • I think it's cute.  Especially since you're in the South.  Very southern belle.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageCrispity:

NMS, but Maggie is cute. I also like Nola (rather than Noli) as a possible nn.

?

This. ?Magnolia reminds me of a tree. ?Then when I saw Noli(a) for a nn, I immediately thought of Nola. ?I LOVE that!?

• First thoughts tree then plantation name, and although it may sound feminine I don't think it translates well as a girl's name.
  • That is horrible!! Maggie is nice though
    image     image

image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"