Babies: 3 - 6 Months

"reduce reuse recycle"

So, in an effort to keep the whole "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" momentum alive in my family's life- hubby and I have decided to frequent second hand shops for things for baby (for toys and clothing). However, the mommy in me keeps thinking about inheriting someone else's baby germs and my daughter's health.  And since I can't seem to get this out of my mind, the only thing we've done second hand right now is her clothing (cuz they can easily be washed easily). Is anyone else doing this? And how do you reconcile the practice with the idea of exposing  your child to other people's baby germs? 

I am definitely willing to admit i may be paranoid because of my own health issues...

Re: "reduce reuse recycle"

• Almost everything we have for DS is hand-me-down (mostly from family), the other things that we bought were almost all baby consignment. We did buy a couple books from Goodwill and I didn't even wipe them down...ooops, I meant to do that and totally forgot! Oh, well DS is doing just fine with all his 2nd hand stuff.

Some day I'll buy him new stuff and it'll be fun, but right now we're tight on $ and there's so much perfecty good 2nd hand stuff out there that I might as well take advantage of it.

• I'm the same way.  I'm kind of a germaphobe so I don't like to take 2nd hand toys.  We have a few but they are from family and friends so I know how clean the people were who had them before.  I used to work at a DC and now how nasty kids can be with their toys and I don't think you can really get them completely clean.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think used is great! We're going to try to do a lot second hand from consignments, etc. So far, most is new b/c we have lots of generous family. But I mostly look for things 2nd hand now.

All anything needs is a good cleaning and the germs are gone. And most things can be cleaned very easily.   Baby stuff gets used for such a short period of time - there is tremendous waste out there.

I saw a website once where people can register for used items too. Their gift giver just logs on and marks what they bought. Great idea!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"