Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Repost - Question about cloth diapering

Hi all- 

'd like to get in on this cd discussion. I will be upfront and say that I never entertained the thought of CDing because I thought it was totally gross.I know it is better for the environment, less expensive, etc but that has not been motivation enough to expel the idea of handwashing shi* out of a diaper from my head.

Then I was talking to my brother the other day and he told me that there are all kinds of hazardous chemicals in diapers that are actually illegal in most countries outside the US - that got my attention. It made me want to take a look at CDing.

So, my questions to you all are as follows:

• What made you decide to CD?
  • How do you clean the diapers (specifically, what do you do with a really poopy diaper before you put it in the washer???)
  • How do you store dirty diapers between washes?
  • Do any of you use a cleaning service for your diapers?

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Repost - Question about cloth diapering

• What made you decide to CD?Financial decision above all...How do you clean the diapers (specifically, what do you do with a really poopy diaper before you put it in the washer???)I don't do anything with the poop prior to washing.  Trust me, they go in the washer dirty and come out beautifully clean.How do you store dirty diapers between washes?I have a wet pail.  It's basically a cute garbage can, but there are some really fashionable ones out there.Do any of you use a cleaning service for your diapers?No cleaning service.  DIY!
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Financial and Environmental reasons. Plus, they are just too darn cute!!!
    • How do you clean the diapers (specifically, what do you do with a really poopy diaper before you put it in the washer???)
    Honestly, my husband installed a BG sprayer on the toilet and we use that to simply shower the diaper into the toilet if it's going to be more than a day before we wash or if it's a sticky/big mess. We are so lucky in that M doesn't poop more than once per day so that makes it nice. If it's a wetter poo or we have laundry planned for 'soon' we just throw it into the can.
    • How do you store dirty diapers between washes?
    We have a white swing-top trash can and two mesh lining bags. We rotate and wash the liner with each load of diapers. We sprinkle some soda in the bottom each time and we've never ever had a problem with smell.
    • Do any of you use a cleaning service for your diapers?

Nope. we're too remote. Plus, it's so easy to do that it wouldn't justify the cost. 

Type: At home we use Chinese prefolds and 6 prorap covers (el cheapo) and for day care/overnight we use BG 3.0. We have 8 of those.

TIA!

IMG_8724 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_8895 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wanted to CD because I am a very "granola" type mommy and wanted to make sure I was not adding to landfill waste, plus i heard it was better for baby's bottom....and so far that has held up...he hardly gets rashes at all.

Since I BF i just toss into a pail until wash day....If it s really bad I use a diaper sprayer...hooks up to your toilet and rinse off first before tossing into a pail. No "up to your arms in poop" for me!

For washing I do a Cold Rinse and then I do a Hot wash/Cold Rinse cycle using this recipe for homade detergent:

https://www.theecofriendlyfamily.com/2009/08/cloth-diaper-detergent.html

Another helpful link for washing: https://www.theecofriendlyfamily.com/2009/10/washing-cloth-diapers.html

Cost - it saves us so much money and it's so nice not to have to buy diapers all of the time.

How do you clean the diapers (specifically, what do you do with a really poopy diaper before you put it in the washer???)
    Right now DD is exclusively breast milk.  We just put it in the wash and do nothing.  Next month when she starts solids we'll use diaper liners that can be flushed and then you just wash the diaper like normal.

How do you store dirty diapers between washes?
    We have a wet bag that we put into a garbage can with a step open lid.  We just put them in there and then take the bag to wash when we need to do wash.

Do any of you use a cleaning service for your diapers?
    Nope.  No cleaning service.  We do it ourselves.  It's not that difficult and once you get into a routine it's a piece of cake!  We can't imagine doing it any other way!!

• What made you decide to CD? I had a couple of reasons. I hated the idea of my baby sitting around with all those nasty chemicals touching her bottom. I also can't stand the thought of throwing a diaper into a landfill to sit for 100s of years, and other environmental reasons. And I heard that CDs contain poo better (fewer blow-outs) and that CD babies have fewer rashes. For what it's worth, my daughter has never had a rash and we do have fewer blow-outs. The potential cost savings is a huge benefit, but it didn't really play into my decision.
    • How do you clean the diapers (specifically, what do you do with a really poopy diaper before you put it in the washer???) My daughter is still EBF, so I just throw all dirty diapers in the washer. When we introduce solids I'm going to invest in a sprayer for poopy dipes.
    • How do you store dirty diapers between washes? We use a flip top garbage pail with a wetbag pail liner. I have a smaller wetbag that I use when we're out.

• Do any of you use a cleaning service for your diapers? Nope. There are diaper services in our area, but they are pretty expensive. Using a service would totally eliminate the money we're saving by using cloth.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I decided to CD because it's better for the environment, cheaper, fewer chemicals come in contact with LO's skin, I SAH so I have time for the extra laundry, and they're so darn cute!

I use Grobaby diapers, so I just detach the insert and throw it in the diaper pail.  If it's super dirty, I might rinse it out in the sink, but generally I don't worry about it since I BF so her poop is water soluble.  I want to get a diaper sprayer attachment for when we start solids, but for now I generally just toss them in the washer as is.  I do a cold rinse, warm wash with 2 T powdered Tide, then extra cold rinse.  Hang covers to dry and toss inserts in the dryer.

I store diapers in a lidded trash can with a waterproof cloth bag for a liner, then use the bag to transport to washer (and throw it in the wash, too).

I wish we could use a service for our diapers! Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I decided to CD for three main reasons. It's better for the environment (especially with my HE washer). It's cheaper in the long run. And it's better for my LO's tush

Right now, while DS is still EBF, I don't do a thing to poopy diapers -- just put them in the pail with the rest of the dipes. We got some flushable liners and a diaper sprayer for when he starts solids this week. Flushable liners will catch most of the poo, then go into the toilet. What's left can be sprayed off into the toilet with the diaper sprayer. There will be NO handwashing of poo (or anything else)

We keep dirty diapers in a big trash can with a snug lid, fitted with a wet bag.

We launder ourselves.

I LOVE CDing! You should try it.

• 1- we decided to CD because I was CD'd as was my DH and it is better for the environment and cheaper overall.  I also like not having to go out and buy diapers.

2. I throw them in the washer.  My DD is EBMF so her poo is water soluable so all I have to do is throw it in the washer.  I do a quick was then a regular wash and they come out sparkling clean.  I have a HE washer so the two washes uses less water than one in a top loader.

3. I store the dirty diapers in a garbage can with a step lift lid.

4.  I wash the diapers myself.

• imageCass422:
    • What made you decide to CD? some good friends of ours do it, they told us how great it was, and its cheaper.
    • How do you clean the diapers (specifically, what do you do with a really poopy diaper before you put it in the washer???) when ds was ebf I just threw them in a trash can lined with a washable pail liner and washed every other day, now that we started solids I either spray off poop in the toilet with the diaper sprayer or if I'm going out I'll use a flushable liner so I can just dump it with no spraying.
    • How do you store dirty diapers between washes? a plastic trash can with a flip lid lined with a washable pail liner, if I'm out somewhere I have a wet bag to put dirties in
    • Do any of you use a cleaning service for your diapers? No

Thanks for all your responses. I NEVER knew you could buy flushable liners. That changes everything for me. What are they called/brand?

• imagesenoritaemily:
    imageCass422:
    • What made you decide to CD? some good friends of ours do it, they told us how great it was, and its cheaper.
    • How do you clean the diapers (specifically, what do you do with a really poopy diaper before you put it in the washer???) when ds was ebf I just threw them in a trash can lined with a washable pail liner and washed every other day, now that we started solids I either spray off poop in the toilet with the diaper sprayer or if I'm going out I'll use a flushable liner so I can just dump it with no spraying.
    • How do you store dirty diapers between washes? a plastic trash can with a flip lid lined with a washable pail liner, if I'm out somewhere I have a wet bag to put dirties in
    • Do any of you use a cleaning service for your diapers? No

Thanks for all your responses. I NEVER knew you could buy flushable liners. That changes everything for me. What are they called/brand?

There are a couple -- Imse Vimse and Bummis are the two I see recommended most.

•  

• What made you decide to CD? The amount of money you save and how super cute they look!
    • How do you clean the diapers (specifically, what do you do with a really poopy diaper before you put it in the washer???) Most of the time I just throw them in the pail, sometimes I'll use the diaper sprayer. When DS starts solids I'll use the sprayer more often.
    • How do you store dirty diapers between washes? In a lidded trash can lined with a reusable pail liner.
    • Do any of you use a cleaning service for your diapers? Nope.
  • What made you decide to CD? Cost and EF

How do you clean the diapers (specifically, what do you do with a really poopy diaper before you put it in the washer???)  Since DD is EBF poopy diapers can just go in the washer, the poop is water soluble.  If you have started solid or FF then you can buy liners to go in the dipe then just pull the liner off with the poop throw it in the toliet and all done.

How do you store dirty diapers between washes? I use a trash can with a pail liner.  The liner is water resistant so the 2 days there are in there the liner doesnt get wet.  I just empty the pail liner into the wash and throw it in too.  Most of the time the lid to the trash can doesnt get closed and there are no smells coming form it.

Do any of you use a cleaning service for your diapers? nope

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"