D.C. Area Babies

random - anyone planting a veg garden this year?

This is my first year living in a house where I have land and I just had the garden patch tilled yesterday.  I'm so excited to start planting!!  But of course I have no idea what I'm doing and I'll probably kill everything I put in the ground.  :)

What are you guys planting and when are you starting?  I have been reading around online and I think I'm going with the idea of planting around Mother's Day in May.  I'm thinking of planting tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, greens, radishes but I want to plant some other stuff.  Any suggestions of what grows well around here?

Re: random - anyone planting a veg garden this year?

• You might get a better response on the main DC board - more people check over there.  I just have done containers of herbs so I am no real help.  The only thing I know is not to plant mint in a garden since it is a weed and will take over :-)
  • good idea!  Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had a garden for the past 4 years and haven't had much luck since the first year. The past few summers haven't been good for my tomatoes (we haven't had the super hot days with evening T storms that really help tomotoes grow). I've switched to "square foot gardening" https://www.squarefootgardening.com/ to help keep some order and make it easier to keep my soil amended.

With the baby and working full time I plan to keep the garden to a happy minimum, so that it doesn't become too much work to weed, etc. I'll be starting the cool weather crops--lettuces, spinach, and snap peas soon. I'll likely do a cherry tomato plant, a bunch of herbs, and flowers to keep it simple in the summer and then the cool weather items again nearing fall.

My first year, I made the mistake of not paying attention to spacing requirements. A lot of the plants will end up being huge and definitely need their space, especially cukes and anything else that spreads (squashes too). I'm pretty sure any plants that are sold around here (at Lowe's/Home Depot/Merrifield) grows fairly well, so you shouldn't have a problem with compatibility with the area.

Good luck and enjoy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have no yard, but decided to try "Square Foot Gardening" on the balcony of our townhouse.  I built two 2'x4' boxes about 6 inches deep, and am going to fill them with a blend of peat moss, vermiculite, and compost.  Then i'm planning on planting peas, beans, a variety of lettuce, carrots, radishes, onions, tomatos, peppers, and strawberries.  I'm hoping it will work out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"