Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baptism/Christening - How much are you spending?

Luncheon afterwards is $15.95 a person and we are having about 50 people, this doesn't include the open bar!  I'm thinking the total is going to be over $1500!

How much are you spending?

TIA!

Edit - We are having it at a resturant because our house won't hold everybody.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baptism/Christening - How much are you spending?

• We had everyone over to my parent's house after DD1's baptism.  We had about 75 people.  I literally stopped looking at the catering bills when it became more expensive than my wedding reception.  It was ridiculous.  We didn't do an open bar, just beer/wine/champagne/and soft drinks/lemonade.
  • WOW I was just thinking of some finger foods and punch.
  • Loading the player...
  • we are only having immediate family..under 25 people.. we are paying $23pp at a restaurant..but it is not a fancy place, more of a caual dining place..

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Holy Cr@pola!! My husband is Catholic and I am not, but we are planning to raise DD Catholic and I had no idea. A party for a baptism?!? Catered food?!? Spending more than the wedding reception?!?!? I'd better start saving now...thanks for the heads up!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagelaurel_howeth:
    WOW I was just thinking of some finger foods and punch.

Thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our house is big enough with the back yard for quite a group.  If I were to have that many people, I'd lay out ham and bread and potato salad and throw sodas in a cooler.  If it wouldn't fit in my house, I'd have it at a park.  No way would I spend that kind of money.

I'm Catholic and we'll probably only have 10-20 people at ours

• imagemegperk72:
    Holy Cr@pola!! My husband is Catholic and I am not, but we are planning to raise DD Catholic and I had no idea. A party for a baptism?!? Catered food?!? Spending more than the wedding reception?!?!? I'd better start saving now...thanks for the heads up!

This was never my intention.  This was MIL vs. mom.  It turned into a whole thing that was just silly.  We haven't baptized LO  yet because we are a little afraid of what will happen this time.  Stick out tongue

• imagelaurel_howeth:

Same here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry but that is rediculous!  Parties for children have gotten out of control.  I'm planning finger foods and soft drinks at my house.  We won't invite more people than our house can handle. 

If you really can't fit your guests in your house have it at the church hall with light food. 

An open bar for a baby's baptism party!!!??? I have never heard of this and I think it's absurd!

I don't usually judge on here.  I don't know why this is hitting a nerve for me today.  What are you doing to do for LO first birthday?  Live band? Private jet?  Come on.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I'm running into the same issue!  I was planning on having it at my house and catered, but after Easter, I can't do it all again. I've been calling restaurants all week and they range for $15 - 22 a head plus tax and tip.  It's very expensive!  We most likely are not doing open bar because of the cost.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagejwthoms1:

Sorry but that is rediculous!  Parties for children have gotten out of control.  I'm planning finger foods and soft drinks at my house.  We won't invite more people than our house can handle. 

If you really can't fit your guests in your house have it at the church hall with light food. 

An open bar for a baby's baptism party!!!??? I have never heard of this and I think it's absurd!

I don't usually judge on here.  I don't know why this is hitting a nerve for me today.  What are you doing to do for LO first birthday?  Live band? Private jet?  Come on.

A big this. My DD will not be baptized or participating in a christening ceremony, but if she were, there's not way we'd spend that sort of money on it! Yikes!

Ashley & Jeff Married since August 2007 BFP Cycle #16, Clomid 100mg DD #1 born on March 25, 2010 TTC #2 as of May 31, 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejwthoms1:

Sorry but that is rediculous!  Parties for children have gotten out of control.  I'm planning finger foods and soft drinks at my house.  We won't invite more people than our house can handle. 

I'm running into a similar situation.... for our family (Irish Catholic)... baptism tends to be a MUCH bigger deal that first birthdays, at least in our family..... I don't live very close to relatives .... they are all an hour + away... These kind of events (baptisms, weddings, funerals) are the only time we really get together.... holidays are usually spent with the immediate family.... so it's kinda expected your going to have an 'event' with real food.... I agree it's a bit ridiculous.... but I figure you 'pay your dues' when it's your turn and enjoy the party when it's not....

• We wanted to have a "small, informal luncheon" afterwards.  However, after reviewing the original guest list we ended up with 50 people and a restaurant that was going to cater it for $17/head.  Personally, I feel that's utterly ridiculous.  We nixed that idea and just invited immediate family and a couple super close friends and everyone brought a dish.  In the end, we had about 22 people and I think it costed us about $200 total.  And it was just as enjoyable!  Gotta remember the real reason you're celebrating anyways.  :)
  • imagelaurel_howeth:

THIS!!

We bought a beautiful expensive cake, other than that we had it in the church basement and my family all brought food...

BabyFruit Ticker *****Mommy's Meatball*****
  • An open bar? Seriously? Finger foods and non alcoholic drinks here. I don't think liquor has a place at a christening.
  • Big JBig J member
    We will be spending around the same.  Maybe it's a Chicago thing but every baptism party I've been to has been at a restaurant with an open bar. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejwthoms1:

This.  We'll do a small gathering at our home after with just family and order a cake from a local baker, but the food will be most likely cookout food and we'll have a cooler with soda.  I don't get why you'd have an open bar at a Baptism celebration.  I also don't plan on going all out for her 1st birthday.  We'll have another family gathering at home...the party is really more for the parents at that age since LO won't remember it!

~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • We are having an open house after DS's baptism at our house.  It is after a Saturday night mass so it will be dinnertime and I just don't feel comfortable serving people anything but a real dinner.  We are having the food catered by a restaurant so it is cheaper than having it AT a resaurant but more work.  Since it is at our house we can more affordable offer a full bar.  I think it's a Catholic thing--I've never been to a party to celebrate any sacrament without alcohol.Stick out tongue  There will be around 30-35 relatives and friends coming.
  • they'll only be 10 of us, including me and dh.

we're having everyone back to our place for lunch. just sandwiches, cake and wine so maybe $100 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• we are having a lunch at my parents house afterward for about 50 people, I am making all the food, it won't cost me more then a couple hundred dollars
  • 1ht

Holy cow!  We are having a party and did have to rent a hall because our family totals 80 people.  That's just aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents.  That being said, hall was 100, food we are making ourselves for about 200.  Misc. supplies/pop/etc. maybe another 100.  No alcohol is allowed at our hall, but I've never seen alcohol at a Baptism! I do not think people expect an elegant party.

• Wow, these huge parties sound ridiculous!  We're having 15 adults (all immediate family) and 3 small kids (not counting LO) at our house afterwards.  Going to get some fried chicken and some sort of pasta from a catering place, then make a few things and family members will bring things.

I couldn't stomach the idea of a big to-do.  I didn't even send out birth announcements because it felt like another gift grab.  People have already been so generous with gifts both for the shower and when the baby was actually born.  I couldn't imagine inviting all of these people to yet another gift giving event!

• imageyankeebaby24:

imagecma1989:
    An open bar? Seriously? Finger foods and non alcoholic drinks here. I don't think liquor has a place at a christening.

Really?  I wouldn't have a baptism without alcohol.   

It is hard to be around the in-laws without alcohol.....Big Smile

• imagejwthoms1:

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think it is different for different people.  We don't do big birthday parties, but a baptism is a big deal for DH's family and my mom's family.  It is the same as a bris in my dad's family.  These are big get togethers.  We just had immediate family (parents, aunts, uncles, cousins/spouses, and children).  However just that is around  75 people for our family.  We had it catered because we were all busy at the church and then pictures after.  The caterers set everything up and it was ready for the guests.  Plus I'm not making food for 75 people.

• I just wanted to add, I don't understand why you can't/shouldn't have alcohol at a christening.

I understand it if you never drink alcohol.

But if you're someone who would normally drink at a celebration then why is a christening any different?

I drank wine at my wedding. I've drunk wine at wakes. I intend to have some wine after my daughter's baptism as part of the celebration with family.

At the end of the day I don't care if other people drink or not at their LO's baptism but I am curious as to the reasoning. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• We had a small baptism with only the godparents (my sister and brother-in-law), their daughter, my parents, my husband, and our LO. We both got baptized that day. The baptism was free of charge and we did not have anything big afterwards. We ate at Chili's with the pastor who baptized us :) The bill was $150 but I work at chili's...so it took off $50. We didn't want a huge baptism, just a small family one. Dh's parents live thousands of miles away so we only did it with mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"