D.C. Area Babies

Sunscreen?

Could you please recommend your sunscreen?

I bought the Aveeno sunscreen and used it this weekend.  I did not like the way it went on.  It didn't rub in all the way, even though I washed them afterwards, my hands felt sticky!

TIA

Re: Sunscreen?

• I don't have a brand suggestion (I actually just bought the Aveeno this weekend because we use a bunch of other Aveeno products), though I think California Baby is recommended a lot. But! I wanted to remind folks to check the safety seal before you buy! I walked out of Target with a half used tube of sunscreen. I guess since sunscreen can be expensive, it's not too uncommon for people to walk in to Target, slather it on and walk out. Luckily I didn't have a problem returning it.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageeeclem:
    I don't have a brand suggestion (I actually just bought the Aveeno this weekend because we use a bunch of other Aveeno products), though I think California Baby is recommended a lot. But! I wanted to remind folks to check the safety seal before you buy! I walked out of Target with a half used tube of sunscreen. I guess since sunscreen can be expensive, it's not too uncommon for people to walk in to Target, slather it on and walk out. Luckily I didn't have a problem returning it.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageeeclem:
    I don't have a brand suggestion (I actually just bought the Aveeno this weekend because we use a bunch of other Aveeno products), though I think California Baby is recommended a lot. But! I wanted to remind folks to check the safety seal before you buy! I walked out of Target with a half used tube of sunscreen. I guess since sunscreen can be expensive, it's not too uncommon for people to walk in to Target, slather it on and walk out. Luckily I didn't have a problem returning it.
  • imageeeclem:
  • imageeeclem:
    I would not have thought to check for that - thanks!
  • sorry, apparently my computer is having issues today!
  • We use the Neutrogena Pure & Free 60+. It also has a bit of the whiteness to it, but that's because it's a physical barrier sunblock, so it doesn't absorb into your skin. I don't think the streakiness is a huge problem, though.
  • imageMingoMoll:
    We use the Neutrogena Pure & Free 60+. It also has a bit of the whiteness to it, but that's because it's a physical barrier sunblock, so it doesn't absorb into your skin. I don't think the streakiness is a huge problem, though.

We use the Neutrogena. I did use a friend's Aveeno once and it seemed to spread in easier. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • so Target does sell California Baby sunscreen? I've not seen their products in a lot of stores.

and OMG I can't believe ppl just walk into a store to use sunscreen! wow

(or maybe I'm just being naive...but stealing is stealing!)

• So you're all just going ahead and using the sunscreen, right? My DCP just said that I need to get permission from my pediatrician for them to use it on DS when they go outside. Apparently they don't put it on babies under a year. Is this common?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• imagetomandcourt:
    So you're all just going ahead and using the sunscreen, right? My DCP just said that I need to get permission from my pediatrician for them to use it on DS when they go outside. Apparently they don't put it on babies under a year. Is this common?

I heard 6mos, not a year and I know I used it before DD was a year old since she was born in Oct and we used it the following summer. DCPs tend to be very careful in this area I think, it wouldn't hurt to ask your pedi

• imagetomandcourt:
    So you're all just going ahead and using the sunscreen, right? My DCP just said that I need to get permission from my pediatrician for them to use it on DS when they go outside. Apparently they don't put it on babies under a year. Is this common?

We started using sunscreen last summer, so DD must have been at least 6 months old. I think Sofka's right--that's the normal start age. My DCP made us sign a permission slip for them to use the sunscreen, but we didn't have to have our pedi sign it.

We also use Neutrogena and it's worked fine for us.

Photobucket
  • We use California Baby sunscreen.  I've found their products in-store at Whole Foods, Target, and Mom's Organic Market.  I just ordered more lotion and the sticks off Amazon, but it's on 6 week back-order.

You can check out EWG's cosmetic database for ratings on many of the sunscreens and other products. 

• we use the neutragena with the pink cap (i think it is specifically for babies/kids).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we just got back from a trip out west and I talked to my pedi before going and she was fine with DD using sunscreen now that she is past 6 months. we used both aveeno baby and california baby and liked them both.
  • We use Mustela sunscreen.  Our pedi recommended we use a sunscreen with Zinc and Titanium Oxide as the active ingredients.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we also use California Baby and our pedi said we can use diaper creme too b/c it has zinc oxide. So if you are out and about and don't have sunscreen, but have diaper creme - use that. It'll smell but do the job (although Butt Paste doesn't smell)
  • We use the Aveeno sunscreen and daycare uses it on all kids over 6 mo (under that and they stay inside in the shade).  My sister complained that the Calif Baby wore off easily so I haven't tried it yet.
  • imagetomandcourt:

Honey, I hate to be harsh on you, but it is YOUR baby.  You don't need anyone's permission to do what you think is best.  They can make a recommendation, but that's about it.  I started using sunscreen on my son after he was six months old.  The key is finding one with physical instead of chemical suncreens to minimize toxic exposure, and only put it on when and where needed.  California Baby and Blue Lizard are both great sunscreens that are at the bottom of the toxicity spectrum, so we use the Blue Lizard (it comes in a baby formulation).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"