Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Let's talk about a postpartum hemorraging...

On Saturday I had a blood clot the size of my palm. Roughly the size of a large orange. My Ob is on vacation & he has someone covering for him until Wed. That Ob said it wasn't a big deal since I had no fever, feel dizzy or lightheaded and the blood flow wasn't excessive. He didn't ask a lot of questions about the color or consistency of the clot. He said to call if those symptoms came up

Yesterday I was dizzy and lightheaded but no blood clots. Same Ob said to not worry as there was no blood clot. Today I decided to research things on my own and now I am a little freaked out. Blood clots should be smaller than a golf ball (maximum size) and the average size is smaller than a grape. I kind of want to drive myself to the ER just in case.

Anyone else having large blood clots?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Let's talk about a postpartum hemorraging...

• I have only had one that was bigger than a booger and it was the size of maybe two grapes together. If I were you and you feel uneasy go to the hospital it can't hurt and the worst they will tell you is it's normal. I agree you need to follow your gut! I hope it's nothing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageanabell0920:
    I have only had one that was bigger than a booger and it was the size of maybe two grapes together. If I were you and you feel uneasy go to the hospital it can't hurt and the worst they will tell you is it's normal. I agree you need to follow your gut! I hope it's nothing!
    this this THIS!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was afraid ya'll would say that. Just made arraingments to have my mom stay with Monkey tomorrow while I go to the er.
  • I will be thinking about you! Try to relax as much as possible tonight (I know it's hard) and drink lot's of water. Maybe try calling the postpartum wing of the hospital you delivered and see what they have to say!! Let us know how it goes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 2 weeks PP I had what appeared to be tissue/blood mixed and it came out in 2 chunks the size of golf balls. I freaked out and after 6 hrs in the ER, an ultrasound (thought I was done with those! lol) and a pelvic---I was given Motrin and told to rest. They also gave me an optional med to make my uterus cramp more and help the bleeding stop but I didn't take it because it transfers into breastmilk. I think you're fine, but if you need the peace of mind, GO!
  • imageanabell0920:
    I will be thinking about you! Try to relax as much as possible tonight (I know it's hard) and drink lot's of water. Maybe try calling the postpartum wing of the hospital you delivered and see what they have to say!! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks cause I need all the good thoughts I can find right now. Trying hard to not freak out and cry. It's probably nothing...

• One week after delivery I passed several clots.  One was very large, bigger than a large egg.  There were several others that were about the size of a grape.  On top of the clots, I felt glued to the toilet because (sorry, TMI here) the blood was just a continuous drip/flow.  My DH, who is a paramedic, was very concerned, and even though the biggest one was smaller than what I was told to be concerned about when discharged from the hospital (anything bigger than a lemon), I called my docs office.

They told me it was fine, and that I probably pushed myself too hard.  I was told to put my feet up and rest.  That worked, but it was pretty scary in the meantime. 

Why would you go to the ER tomorrow instead of your doctors office? 

• imageShell24:

This is sort of my question.  If it's bad enough to need to go to the ER, why would you wait until tomorrow?  Is it because your doc's gone and you want a 2nd opinion other than the one who's covering for yours?  Is there anyone else in the office you can ask to see instead?
  • imageMrs.BoomBoom:
    imageShell24:

This is sort of my question.  If it's bad enough to need to go to the ER, why would you wait until tomorrow?  Is it because your doc's gone and you want a 2nd opinion other than the one who's covering for yours?  Is there anyone else in the office you can ask to see instead?

It is a solo practice. he has the ob covering for him but I would prefer another opinion. I can't explain it other than I don't know this man who is telling me everything is fine without evr seeing me or knowing my history. At the ER the will at least see me and if they say it is nothing then i know they are basing on facts.

• It still doesn't seem like an appropriate use of the ER>  I'd probably go to the doc and insist I be seen or call his office and insist that I be allowed to talk to him.  They should be able to contact him.
  • imageMrs.BoomBoom:
    It still doesn't seem like an appropriate use of the ER>  I'd probably go to the doc and insist I be seen or call his office and insist that I be allowed to talk to him.  They should be able to contact him.

Except My Ob is on VACATION. That is why there is someone covering for him. Solo practice with an unknown Ob covering. And when I left the hospital the forms clearly say - call your ob or go to th ER. That is what an ER is for - emergencies. If I am hemorrhaging where do you think I will end up? My ob's office? Or are they going to send me to the hospital since you can die from hemorrhaging or need a hysterectomy.

• I had several clots in the hospital (post c-section) that were as big as oranges.  They checked me, and said it was totally normal.  I would have the worst cramps/pains before I would pass them.  It was not fun or pleasant.   But they said without a fever or other signs of shock that it was fine. 

I'm sure that everything is fine.  If you are up and walking and have no signs of shock then I would think you are OK.  Also if the bleeding is worse with activity then it is most likely regular PP bleeding.

I hope everything is OK in the morning.  

• 1-an EMERGENCY could not wait until tomorrow

2-doc you see in er will be unknown just as sub doc is

3-I understand your doc is on vacation.  go to the one he trusted to cover. or insist they call your doc on vacation

• imagegrapeape73:

I had several clots in the hospital (post c-section) that were as big as oranges.  They checked me, and said it was totally normal.  I would have the worst cramps/pains before I would pass them.  It was not fun or pleasant.   But they said without a fever or other signs of shock that it was fine. 

I'm sure that everything is fine.  If you are up and walking and have no signs of shock then I would think you are OK.  Also if the bleeding is worse with activity then it is most likely regular PP bleeding.

I hope everything is OK in the morning.  

I am looking at the papers the hospital gave me and it says nothing about a fever (which I do not have).  And when I spoke to the ob covring all he asked me was if i was light headed or dizzy. nothing else. After reading this I feel a lot better. Yeah, I am not in shock. Thank youBig Smile

• imageMrs.BoomBoom:

1-an EMERGENCY could not wait until tomorrow

2-doc you see in er will be unknown just as sub doc is

3-I understand your doc is on vacation.  go to the one he trusted to cover. or insist they call your doc on vacation

This.

I would call that OB back and tell him that you want to come in. If he actually has the gaul to say no, then go to the ER. But don't go to the ER just because you don't like him. If its that much of an emergency that you can't risk going to the OB first, then you should have gone to the ER last night.

GL. I would also be worried with clots that big.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"