2nd Trimester

Greek Yogurt... Is it safe to eat while pregnant?

While pregnancy is by no means new to me ( expecting #4 in July) Greek Yogurt is. I have never had it, and was wanting to try it. I am not sure if it has things in it that could be harmful to my baby. I know soft cheese is a big no no and so is cold lunch meats, potato salads and the list goes on, but does greek yogurt fall in the no no group?

Re: Greek Yogurt... Is it safe to eat while pregnant?

• Hmm, I haven't tried it, but I was just reading about it, and can't see a reason it would be bad.  As long as the milk is pasteurized.  I found it sold through Stony Field Farms, which is a company I've had before.  It actually looks like something right up my alley since I am having trouble with my protein consumption with the pregnancy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think its fine as long as it isnt home made? I heard of ALOT of ladies eating it.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes! And it should be the number 1 for all pregnant women. It's high in protein, the live cultures to prevent infections. A lot of yogurt company's claim their yogurts have the live cultures and will help fight off infections and keep your digestive system regular, but a lot of the yogurts are so processed and artificially enhanced that they aren't what they claim to be. So, natural Greek yogurt is your best option.
  • it should be fine. just make sure it says it is made with pasteurized milk on the label... that's the issue with soft cheeses. i love greek yogurt. if you've never had it before you should definitely try it... it's much milder than regular yogurt and because it is strained, it has a consistency that is very different. it's wonderful with honey and i always bake with it too.
  • I have one every day with my lunch. High in protein!
  • OMG!  I eat Chobani greek yogurt EVERY SINGLE day!  I love it!
  • CTA7CTA7 member
    Try it with honey ... that's DH's favorite!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    12/1/11 BFP, missed m/c diagnosed @ 9w2d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You seem to be a little ill-informed on what is safe to eat. Potato salad? I'm not sure where you heard that. As long as it is made with pasteurized cheese it is fine. It is actually very difficult to find cheeses made with unpasteurized cheese. I love soft cheeses and have eaten them throughout my pregnancy. I've only found one that was made with unpasteurized cheese.

Get a pregnancy book or something and they should have a nice accurate list of foods to avoid.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • It's definitely safe, and FULL of protein, so it's great for both you and baby.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMrs.Handy:

You seem to be a little ill-informed on what is safe to eat. Potato salad? I'm not sure where you heard that. As long as it is made with pasteurized cheese it is fine. It is actually very difficult to find cheeses made with unpasteurized cheese. I love soft cheeses and have eaten them throughout my pregnancy. I've only found one that was made with unpasteurized cheese.

Get a pregnancy book or something and they should have a nice accurate list of foods to avoid.

phew.  I was like I'm not supposed to eat potato salad??? WHY? I want some potato salad lol! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Soft cheeses are fine if it's pasteurized... basically any dairy product is fine if it's pasteurized. Greek yogurt is actually better for you than our regular yogurt. Higher protein and less sugar than most yogurts in the States. It has a nice thick texture, and it's delicious with some honey! I think our yogurts are really not very good compared to most traditional European yogurts... Scandinavia has absolutely delicious yogurt. It's similar to our style, but thicker and creamier. Probably more fattening too. Num num.
  • mmmm i just loveeee greek yogurt, i am going to stop and buy some today!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was told by both my first OB, and then the second (the one I've had since my 2nd child) that potato salad, and macaroni salads are bad during pregnancy only if not fresh. My sister has been told this by her OB with both of her pregnancies as well. It is for the same reason as cold lunch meats and soft cheese, Listeria. Listeria while in rare cases can cause a pregnant woman to miscarry, so I just tend to avoid foods like that in general. I'm not a big fan of cheese in general nor lunch meat. I think lunch meats are way to high in sodium, cheese and I have never really got along so I just stick with the ok's that I know. I just was not sure about greek yogurt. This is from americanpregnancy.org :

During pregnancy, it is important to be aware of what you put inside your body. You should be aware of what is good to eat and also what is not so good to eat. Listeria is a type of bacteria that can be found in some contaminated foods. Listeria can cause problems for both you and your baby. Although listeriosis (the illness from ingesting Listeria) is rare, pregnant women are more susceptible to it than non-pregnant healthy adults.

What is Listeria?

Listeria monocytogenes is a type of bacteria that is found in water and soil. Vegetables can become contaminated from the soil, and animals can also be carriers. Listeria has been found in uncooked meats, uncooked vegetables, unpasteurized milk, foods made from unpasteurized milk, and processed foods. Listeria is killed by pasteurization and cooking. There is a chance that contamination may occur in ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats because contamination may occur after cooking and before packaging.1

What are the risks of a pregnant woman getting listeriosis?

According to the Center of Disease Control (CDC), an estimated 2,500 persons become seriously ill each year in the United States and among these, 500 will die. According to research, pregnant women account for 27% of these cases. CDC claims that pregnant women are 20 times more likely to become infected than non-pregnant healthy adults.

How will I know if I have listeriosis?

Symptoms of listeriosis may show up 2-30 days after exposure. Symptoms in pregnant women include mild flu-like symptoms, headaches, muscle aches, fever, nausea, and vomiting. If the infection spreads to the nervous system it can cause stiff neck, disorientation, or convulsions. Infection can occur at any time during pregnancy, but it is most common during the third trimester when your immune system is somewhat suppressed. Be sure to contact your health care provider if you experience any of these symptoms.

Can listeriosis harm my baby?

If you are pregnant and are infected with listeriosis, you could experience:

• Miscarriage
    • Premature delivery
    • Infection to the newborn
    • Death to the newborn (about 22% of cases of perinatal listeriosis result in stillbirth or neonatal death)

Early treatment may prevent fetal infection and fetal death.

How is listeriosis treated?

Listeriosis is treated with antibiotics during pregnancy. These antibiotics, in most cases, will prevent infection to the fetus and newborn. These same antibiotics are also given to newborns with listeriosis.

What can I do to protect my baby from listeriosis?

Following these guidelines can greatly reduce your chances of contracting Listeriosis.

Eat hard cheeses instead of soft cheeses: The CDC has recommended that pregnant women avoid soft cheeses such as feta, Brie, Camembert, blue-veined cheesesl and Mexican style cheeses such as queso fresco, queso blanco and panela.

Hard cheeses such as cheddar and semi-soft cheeses such as mozzarella are safe to consume. Pasteurized processed cheese slices and spreads such as cream cheese and cottage cheese can also be safely consumed. The most important thing to do is read the labels!

Be cautious when eating hot dogs, luncheon meats, or deli meats unless they are properly reheated to steaming( or 160 degrees F.): Eating out at certain restaurants that provide deli meat sandwiches is not recommended for pregnant women since they do not reheat their deli meats. Restaurants such as Subway recommends that pregnant women eat the following non-luncheon meat items such as meatball, steak and cheese, roasted chicken, and tuna (limit 2 servings a week).

Do not eat refrigerated pates or meat spreads.

Do not eat refrigerated smoked seafood unless it is contained in a cooked dish, such as a casserole.

Practice safe food handling:

• Wash all fruits and vegetables
    • Keep everything clean including your hands and preparation surfaces
    • Keep your refrigerator thermometer at 40 degrees or below
    • Clean your refrigerator often
    • Avoid cross contamination between raw and uncooked foods (this includes hot dog juices)
    • Cook foods at proper temperatures (use food thermometers) and reheat all foods until they are steaming hot (or 160 F)

Proper Temperatures for Cooking Foods:

• Chicken: 165-180 F
    • Egg Dishes: 160 F
    • Ground Meat: 160-165 F
    • Beef, Medium well: 160 F
    • Beef, Well Done: 170 F (not recommended to eat any meat cooked rare)
    • Pork: 160-170 F
    • Ham (raw): 160 F
    • Ham (precooked): 140 F

Refrigerate or freeze food promptly.

• imageMrs.Handy:

You seem to be a little ill-informed on what is safe to eat. Potato salad? I'm not sure where you heard that. As long as it is made with pasteurized cheese it is fine. It is actually very difficult to find cheeses made with unpasteurized cheese. I love soft cheeses and have eaten them throughout my pregnancy. I've only found one that was made with unpasteurized cheese.

I think with the potato salad its the dressing. Most people use mayonnaise but if you make your own dressing from scratch it  requires raw egg. 

• Greek yogurt is great during pregnancy. A good one is FAGE (fa-HEE). I like the plain with honey. Works well to balance the "good" bacteria in your body.
  • My ob suggested greek yogurt for protein. So yes. It's safe. I don't like it though

It's a BOY

• elimac82 said:
    Greek yogurt is great during pregnancy. A good one is FAGE (fa-HEE). I like the plain with honey. Works well to balance the "good" bacteria in your body.
    Except it's "fa-yeh". There's a pronunciation label on my cartons in the fridge. Add a little agave nectar/honey, ground flax and blueberries, and you have the breakfast of the gods.

• This thread is over 3 yrs old. I wonder how pp even found it to comment.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"