3rd Trimester

Inducing Tuesday 4/6 if LO doesn't arrive before then...

I have GD so my OB wants to induce 1 week early to prevent LO from getting too big.  I was 50% effaced and 1 cm yesterday, so we are set for an induction Tuesday 4/6 @ 5:30 a.m., unless he decides to arrive before then.  I told DH we needed to get busy between now and then on everything we could do to make him arrive before then!  He likes the idea of having an "appt" to have a baby, because it allows him to know exactly what he needs to do with work, etc.

Now... I was induced with DS @ 36 wks because of a high fever, and it SUCKED because I was stuck in the bed the whole time and chose not to get an epidural, so there's no walking around or anything like that to try and alleviate the pain.

Because of that episode I do not want to be induced again, but I'm getting an epidural this time so DH asked what it would matter?  I hadn't thought about that....so why is it everyone is against being induced? Is it just because you want things to be as natural as possible? What if you're getting an epidural? 

Re: Inducing Tuesday 4/6 if LO doesn't arrive before then...

• I'm against getting induced because of the risks: uterine rupture, stress on baby that can lead to c section due to the stronger than natural contractions, etc.  I also feel the baby will come when he's ready.  Obviously you have a medical issue that needs to be taken into consideration but I am strongly against induction without medical necessity.  Ex. those doctors who want to induce just because woman is over her due date.
  • Sorry my post was so negative.  Good luck I really hope everything goes smoothly for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • There are risks involved with being induced, the biggest one being the risk that it will end in a c-section.

I was induced when I was 10 days overdue last time and will probably be induced again. My doctor told me that there's less of a risk of c-section with second-time moms who successfully delivered vaginally during previous births.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • You've already got one of my reasons for preferring not to off the table (having to get an IV).  Due dates can be off and not all babies are as ready as others on the earlier end, so there's something of a risk baby will need a little help/NICU time.  Induction is also statistically linked to increased risk of other intervention (forceps, c-section), although correlation may not mean causation.  (In other words, some people are induced for larger size babies, which would on its own correlate to some of the same things).

I may end up being induced this go round, and my OB has said in her experience there is a much higher rate of vaginal delivery without complications from induction after a vaginal first delivery than otherwise, BTW.  Good luck :).

• I think most the people who are anti-inductions feel that way because they want a natural childbirth and being induced can lead to more interventions/a c-section. Personally, I'd prefer not to be induced, but my doctor doesn't like having women go past 41 weeks because the placenta starts to break down. Since my doctor went to medical school and has been doing this for years, I am going to trust her and follow her advice - hence I have an induction scheduled for Monday if LO doesn't make an appearance by then.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageblckwhtyllwgirl:
    I think most the people who are anti-inductions feel that way because they want a natural childbirth and being induced can lead to more interventions/a c-section. Personally, I'd prefer not to be induced, but my doctor doesn't like having women go past 41 weeks because the placenta starts to break down. Since my doctor went to medical school and has been doing this for years, I am going to trust her and follow her advice - hence I have an induction scheduled for Monday if LO doesn't make an appearance by then.

They also have to pay a sh*t ton of money annually for malpractice insurance and a lot of their decisions are dictated by how decisions hold up in court, not necessarily what is best for mother and baby.  I'm not saying people shouldn't trust doctors but to not even question being induced when there are no other reasons isn't smart either.  There are ways to monitor the health of the placenta and to make sure fluid levels are normal.

• I'm going natural and also have an induction planned for next week (GD related as well).  I had the gel with DD and responded really well so I asked to start with that and my dr agreed.  So I go in on Tuesday and get the gel and then get to go home.  Back on Wednesday for more gel and then home.  Thursday we move on to pitocin.

My major feelings against induction is having it interfere with my wishes to skip pain drugs and other interventions.  But I feel like this is a good compromise.  I was able to stay home with DD for most of the day and by the time I got to the hospital was already 6cm.  So I have high hopes the gel will work again and I will get to labour at home the majority of my labour and skip any unnecessary interventions.

• imageblckwhtyllwgirl:
    I think most the people who are anti-inductions feel that way because they want a natural childbirth and being induced can lead to more interventions/a c-section. Personally, I'd prefer not to be induced, but my doctor doesn't like having women go past 41 weeks because the placenta starts to break down. Since my doctor went to medical school and has been doing this for years, I am going to trust her and follow her advice - hence I have an induction scheduled for Monday if LO doesn't make an appearance by then.

This is why I say go for it. My induction is scheduled for Tuesday. I want to go naturally, but if she doesn't come, OB won't let me go far past. She is my doctor, and I trust her. I really don't care what other ppl have to say.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't see why the other women who posted don't realize you have to be induced because of medical necessity. Everyone is so quick to fly off the handle when someone even mentions induction. I also have to get induced if I don't have LO before 4/11 because of my gestional diabetes. So I understand where you are coming from. We have the risk of having a huge baby or even a stillbirth. I wish you tons of luck and an easy delivery. I also wish you labor dust so hopefully you don't have to get induced.
  • imageLeighAnne1941:

I'm going natural and also have an induction planned for next week (GD related as well).  I had the gel with DD and responded really well so I asked to start with that and my dr agreed.  So I go in on Tuesday and get the gel and then get to go home.  Back on Wednesday for more gel and then home.  Thursday we move on to pitocin.

My major feelings against induction is having it interfere with my wishes to skip pain drugs and other interventions.  But I feel like this is a good compromise.  I was able to stay home with DD for most of the day and by the time I got to the hospital was already 6cm.  So I have high hopes the gel will work again and I will get to labour at home the majority of my labour and skip any unnecessary interventions.

What is the gel??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"