Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How did all of you lose your baby weight?

After reading that post, I'm bummed out!  I gained 32 pounds, lost 10 at the hospital and only 10 more in the last 6 weeks.  I still have 12 more to go!

Those who have already lost all their weight, what are you doing to get the weight off?

Re: How did all of you lose your baby weight?

• At one week PP I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight but I don't know how much of that had to do with the fact that I only gained 17 during pregnancy. I didn't do anything as far as trying to lose the weight because then (and still) I only have enough energy to care for LO and now that I'm sick even that is a lot harder than it should be (or at least it feels that way).

• BFing did the trick for me.  Then again I only gained 17 pounds my entire pregnancy.  By 2 weeks pp I was down 22 pounds...right around my pre-pregnancy weight.  I am hoping that my dr will allow me to begin light exercising soon. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBrandy&Keith:
    BFing did the trick for me.  I am hoping that my dr will allow me to begin light exercising soon. 

Me too.  Same situation.  I have some extra beyond my baby weight I'd like to lose.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly, good genes here. I have always been thin and able to eat what I want without working out. I gained 32 and lost 24 in the first couple weeks and I was doing nothing. I have 2 to go to get to my pre-preg weight and I have been walking and doing 30 day shred. I eat whatever but try to be semi healthy.
  • The weight is coming off for me because I don't have time to eat..lol. Not the healthiest way, but with a 2.5 year old and a needy newborn..I get in breakfast and then snack on fruit all day...it's the only thing I can get down fast enough! I have 11 lbs left to go, and I plan on doing kettlebells...it's ana amzing workout you can try! It tightens everything FAST!
  • I BF - this is my second and I still have 20 lbs to lose.  For me I am starving while BFing and I seem to not lose weight until I stop (at least that was what happened w/ my first).  Be patient - it took you 9 months to put on.  It will come off if you stay active and watch what you eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • I worked out and for the most part ate well though my entire pregnancy I think it makes a difference.  Also, some people hold onto weight when they are breast feeding if you are doing that it may take a while.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • It must be the breastfeeding.  I'm doing some walking and light weights too, but nothing hard core.  I gained 40 lbs total and have 5 more to lose to get back to prepreg weight.  I'm 10 weeks postpartum.
  • imagetrish051003:
    I BF - this is my second and I still have 20 lbs to lose.  For me I am starving while BFing and I seem to not lose weight until I stop (at least that was what happened w/ my first).  Be patient - it took you 9 months to put on.  It will come off if you stay active and watch what you eat.

Exactly the same for me.. this is my second baby, and I have 15 pounds to my PP weight.

• I'm breastfeeding, and I've lost 42 of the 55 I gained. So I only have 13 to go. I eat mostly salads with soup, peanut butter sandwiches, and I always make sure I have something sweet at night, like sorbet. I had to cut out dairy for DS, so that helped a ton. The thing is to be too busy to eat! It's a struggle to remember, then have time to eat. I don't eat real meals anymore, but that's not even by choice.
  • I've lost 40lbs. in 10 weeks and have 15 pounds to go! Portion control, no snacking (or snacking on the right foods) and consistantly working out. Basically, doing the complete opposite of what I did during pregnancy. I haven't had the problem with the weight coming off, just have to set my mind to it!

• nothing but bfing - I gained 26 pounds
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Remembering Christopher
  • If you are breastfeeding the weight will progressively come off!

I also HIGHLY recommend getting Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD. I had a c-section so I was not allowed to work out for about 7 weeks. I had lost about 25 of the 38 lbs I gained by then. I did the work out's faithfully everyday (except sundays) for 4 weeks. Then went to about 3-4 times a week. The sessions are only 20 min long. I also make sure to add at least 30 mins of cardio (running or walking on incline on treadmill). It really helped me lose the rest of the weight and "suck" me back in everywhere. I am now down below my pre-preggo weight! 

• Don't get down about the baby weight coming off.  I know that's easier said then done, but it will come off if you stay active.  It's even hardier when you hear that some woman are back to their weight within weeks, but know that is not the norm, for woman it's hard to talk about weight gain and weight loss so you're not going to hear someone admitting they're still struggling as oftne as you'll hear the great fast success stories.  I''m a personal trainer and have been through pregnancy, birth and now on my second pregnancy.  Diet is key... make sure you are eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and a small snack in between... that keeps your metabolism going and will speed it up to burn fat faster.  When I say snack I mean veggies, fruit, healthy snack.  If you skip meals your body reacts by holding on to the fat in the food you have ate and doesn't want to give it up because it's worried you won't give it any more food for a while.... Exercise is the second part but it has to be done, even if it's a 40 minute walk a day... plan it into your daily routine.  Pick a time at the beginning of the week for each day to go on a walk with your little on and put it in your schedule/planner whatever you use.  If it's planned you'll do it, it's easier to skip something that you don't write down or plan ahead of time. 

Good luck...sometimes this journey is more stressful then the 9 months leading up to the beautiful baby...Big Smile

• breast feeding, as she ate more, like 6-8 oz and I was making a TON, it just fell off, never walked into a gym and I am now 2 pounds lighter than my pre baby weight.  Baby is not 11 mo and weaning, and i can notice a drop in my metabolism so the gym will be back in my life this summer. 
  • imagelandryd:

Don't get down about the baby weight coming off.  I know that's easier said then done, but it will come off if you stay active.  It's even hardier when you hear that some woman are back to their weight within weeks, but know that is not the norm, for woman it's hard to talk about weight gain and weight loss so you're not going to hear someone admitting they're still struggling as oftne as you'll hear the great fast success stories.  I''m a personal trainer and have been through pregnancy, birth and now on my second pregnancy.  Diet is key... make sure you are eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and a small snack in between... that keeps your metabolism going and will speed it up to burn fat faster.  When I say snack I mean veggies, fruit, healthy snack.  If you skip meals your body reacts by holding on to the fat in the food you have ate and doesn't want to give it up because it's worried you won't give it any more food for a while.... Exercise is the second part but it has to be done, even if it's a 40 minute walk a day... plan it into your daily routine.  Pick a time at the beginning of the week for each day to go on a walk with your little on and put it in your schedule/planner whatever you use.  If it's planned you'll do it, it's easier to skip something that you don't write down or plan ahead of time. 

Good luck...sometimes this journey is more stressful then the 9 months leading up to the beautiful baby...Big Smile

This is what you want to do. Eat several healthy small meals throughout the day and try to workout. Another poster mentioned forgetting to eat - do that and you'll screw up your metabolism and the minute you do begin to eat regularly, you're body will pack on the fat because it will be in starvation mode.

Also, I don't understand the - 'I have always been skinny and can eat whatever what I want' post(s). Good for you. Too bad the subject of this thread is how did you lose the baby weight. I don't think 'nothing' qualifies. Those of us struggling to lose the baby weight don't really want to hear that. Sorry.

Married 4.22.06. Birth of Ashlyn Elizabeth 2.6.10. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Weight watchers

BFing has not helped with weight loss for me at all

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have always been pretty thin, active and athletic, but the baby weight has hit me pretty hard!  I gained 45 lbs!  And I really did eat healthy my whole pregnancy and stayed active until about 5 months pregnant.  I am slowly loosing the weight (I am exclusively breast feeding which helps).  I lost about 10 lbs by week 3, and then another 10 by week 6.  I am at week 16 now and and down 40 lbs (only 5 lbs away from pre-pregnancy weight).  I have not worked out at all yet (I had a rough c-section recovery and still don't feel 100%).  So really what I am saying, is give yourself time!!!  some people drop it instantly and some it takes a bit longer. 
  • Nursing for ten months and counting. I have lost more weight than I want to, honestly. I am 10 pounds lighter than I was when I got PG.

Exercise also helps, even if it's just walking, and I've found that I sleep better after night feedings if I make time to exercise.

My belly is NOT where I want it to be -- it's still squishy and not flat, but I'm proud of my body for the life it brought into the world and the way it has recovered. Most days, anyway.

• OK, so I'm not naturally thin, and I gained more than 17 lbs!  So back to reality...

I lost 15 by the time I got back home with 20 more to lose and in the 3.5 weeks, I've only lost an additional 8.  I havent worked out or really changed my diet.  I do BF and hope to start working out this week.  Thought about 30 day shred or weight watchers...

GL to you!

• I lost the weight by cutting out every single bit of dairy. You'd be amazed at all the high-calorie foods that keeps you from eating. I still eat a ton of food and of treats -- soy ice cream, chocolate chips that don't have milk in them, Nature Valley granola bars -- but I lost a lot of weight without having to do anything else special, including working out.

Other than cutting out dairy, I lost the weight by breastfeeding and just taking care of a baby! I worked at an office before, so I'm much less sedentary than before. Walking up and down the stairs to change diapers, carrying 20 pounds of baby everywhere, getting up and down off the floor dozens of times a day. That movement adds up!

• It's so frustrating when I hear people say all they did was BF.  I've had 3 kids and I'm pregnant with the 4th.  During my last pregnancy, I only gained 10 pounds because I was so sick the 1st trimester and lost.  After I got out of the hospital, I was BFing and GAINED.  I was starving so much of the time and really tried to eat healthy, but still gained.   Anyway - I don't think there's a simple formula for everyone.  Some of us just don't have that kind of metabolism!
  • Losing weight is hard work. I ate things like chicken breasts, spinach salads, cottage cheese, and drank white wine every night!  Look, I love wine and I  am not able to breast feed.  I lost my 40 pounds in about 4 months.  I walked until I could run again, and even running took a long time to get back in to. I LOVE the 30 Day Shred..it DOES work, and you can fit it in at 20 minutes a time.  I didn't do much for the first three weeks. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.  I get so tired of hearing people talk about how easy it was to lose the weight or that they gained so little during pregnancy.  Whatever. The majority of us have to work our butts off. I want to hear from THOSE people not the the 6'3 women who only gained it in their stomach. Gag.
  • I will be 21 weeks pp on Sunday and have lost all 45lbs gained during pregnancy plus 6 more!  I had a terrible labor with a partial third degree tear and I only breast fed for the first month.  Similar to some of the other women, I really didn't have time to eat huge meals at first... or really any meals.. hahaha so that helped but now that I am back at work, I go to the gym.  It helps take stress/frustration out on top of helping me lose the weight.  My stomach is still flabby from my belly being so big and I always say it looks like an old woman butt because of the stretchmarks all over the place, but that's what keeps me motivated to work out!  I also watched what I ate after the baby, not a lot of dairy at all and eating small portions every couple of hours to keep metabolism up.  I am in the military though, so I guess my other motivation is knowing that I have to PT test in a month!!

• Ok I am still pregnant, but had to respond...is writing."I didnt gain much in the first place or I lost it all in a week"...really going to help the poster of the original question or is it going to make her feel worse? And I have to say, I dont think I believe half of the things people write...

To the poster, congrats on only gaining  32 pounds, and remember, it takes 9 months to gain, so dont try to lose it all at once.

If you can, invest in a trainer at your local gym. They  can give you exercise tips and motivation, which is important because losing weight is hard to do on your own.

• imageBrandy&Keith:
     Then again I only gained 17 pounds my entire pregnancy.  By 2 weeks pp I was down 22 pounds...right around my pre-pregnancy weight.  
    How could one gain 17 pounds during pregnancy, lose 22, and be just about at pre-preg weight? Wouldn't you have to have gained 22? Anyhow, BFing mostly did it for me but I did the 30 day shred about 3 weeks PP and it peeled off thelast few.
  • I totally agree with Orchid86: if you are fortunate enough to have an easy time losing weight, that's great for you. This post (How do you lose baby weight?) is NOT the place to inform everyone of what an easy time you're having losing weight. I think everyone needs to remember that we are supposed to encourage one another here, not boast or tear one another down...

I realize this probably sounds snotty...but it's not meant to be so.

• QUESTION: Does anyone here have a Wii? I'm wondering if the Biggest Loser on Wii is similar to 30 Day Shred? I have it and it's pretty hard ... it's about 30 minutes like 30 Day Shred is described. I was about to run out and buy 30 Day Shred and then maybe if I just do the Biggest Loser on Wii more than twice a week it'll do the same! So many of you seem to like 30DS.

Oh and here's my pregnancy fat story:

Prior to getting pregnant I stayed in shape but had to work at it. I could blink an eye and gain 10lbs! Anyway, I gained 56 lbs ... that was a shock. I gained 25 of it in my FIRST trimester. It's complicated because I was on medication that as a side effect slightly reduced hunger, had to stop that. I drank a ton of caffeine, had to cut that waaay back. And, I was training for a competition which involved a lot of running, jumping, & heavy weight lifting. Sooo, I think my system was in shock when I drastically changed everything in a matter of days.

I am now 14 weeks pp. I lost about 15 right away. I was only able to breastfeed for about 4 weeks, during that time I lost 2 or 3 more. Sadly, since then I've gained 5 back. So I have about 45 + to lose. When I look in the mirror I feel like I'm looking at a stranger! I refuse to shop because I have a closet full of clothes from before. It's sad, I'm not even excited to go home for a visit because I feel so uncomfortable.

Anyway, to all those out there desperate to get the weight off, I totally understand. I am really trying to work on the mental part of this (easier said than done), meaning accepting that it will take a few months and not to focus on my weight today or tomorrow but instead just that I exercise one day at a time and feel good about that! I hoping the rest will come .... I really hope! 

xo 

• just want to clarify on my posting in case some of you are referring to me..it was not easy to lose the weight! i worked my butt off every day for 2 months to get back into my jeans! it was a serious commitment and pushing myself to do it. i felt like all the other mom's around me were losing the weight WAY faster than me, it was very hard. 

• I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think any of the comments are about you! I actually found yours helpful ... motivating me to get to it and workout everyday! And check out the 30 day shred. There were a few posters that essentially said they did nothing and just reverted right back to their pre-preg weight. Just hard to hear when your looking for advice on losing weight.
  • I might not be any help because I am only pregnant with my first and still in my first trimester. However, I am a personal trainer and the best advice I can give you is eat healthy and if you are breast feeding make sure you are taking in enough calories to keep producing the milk. I also suggest doing interval cardio work for 30-45 minutes four days a week and then light weight lifting 2-3 days a week. When you lift weights it keeps your metabolism up for up to 48 hours after you lift them!! Wow!! Interval training can be a light jog mixed with a sprint. So jog for 5 minutes, sprint for one. Or even if you can only do 30 seconds, that's okay for a sprint. That keeps your heart rate where it needs to be to blast the calories. You don't have too much more to lose so that's good!! If you do lift weights, don't lift consecutive days in a row unless you split body groups up. If you do full body weights, then take a day off the next. Your muscles need 48 hours to rest from weights.

My normal day being pregnant is a 5-6 mile jog. That would also work for you - not that many miles, but a steady pace for about 30-45 minutes. The recommended cardio is 60 minutes/day, but I am not sure what level of fitness you are in.

Well, I know that was lengthy, but I hope it helped a little!!

Kristin

• I gained 27 lbs and weighed myself 3 days after the birth of baby Leanne and found that I lost 16 lbs.  I'm B/Fing exclusively and was back to my pre-pregnancy weight by 2-1/2 months.  I walk alot and wear baby in a sling when out and about.  Now baby is 4 months old and I'm below my pp weight.
  • OK...all I can say is God bless you women who only gained 17 pounds throughout your whole pregnancy!! I, on the other hand, gained 61. I'm 5'10" and I've always been pretty thin but with all the nauseau the first trimester food was comforting and I gained too much. I was on track for the rest of the pregnancy but it was too late. I'll know better for the second baby. All that being said, I also lost most of the weight within a couple months by breastfeeding but at 4 mos. PP I still have 12 pounds left to go as well. I walk and do yoga (which does wonders for sore, stiff muscels from hours of rocking). One thing I do that seems to be helping with the extra belly baby fat is really focusing on my body while I'm rocking my daughter. I stand when I rock her and focus on keeping my shoulders down, my back straight and my abs tight. Rocking side to side seems to help my waist. I figure I'm accomplishing two things at once...getting her to sleep and getting back in shape. Good luck! 
  • I try to do the same when I'm rocking my baby too. I gained 35 lbs and am still struggling to lose the last 13 lbs. I know I need to eat healthy, but I find it hard to exercise when I'm home with LO. She starts crying and I have to stop to check on her. And she rarely naps for more than 30 min. Any suggestions? Oh, when DH is home I do take advantage and head out to a bellydance class.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"