2nd Trimester

Has your dog's behavior changed since BFP?

My dog is being more obstinate and challenges me when I give verbal commands, more than usual.  These traits are characteristic of her breed but lately it's been very acute.  I wonder if it's because she notices a change in my scent now that I'm pregnant. Granted, she's been through a lot in the last month, having suffered a stroke of the spinal cord, complete paralysis of the back legs and subsequent physical therapy.  She's back on her legs now, although very wobbly, so this could certainly be the source of her unusually willful behavior. 

So I'm wondering if you've experienced any difference in your dog's behavior?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has your dog's behavior changed since BFP?

• We don't have a dog, but we do have a cat. She's been following us around the house and meowing at us like we never feed her, amd jumping on the tables to get in our faces like she's saying "oh hai, i can has affections?" I just figure it's b/c she knows something's up and i purposefully make it a point to give her attention now (i mean i did before, b/c she's awesome, but now it's just way more often) and my hubs makes it a point to hang out with her (he used to, but for a short time, he's not as snuggly as i am), so i'm assuming when we do our feedings, someone will feed the baby, and someone will snuggle with O'Neill (the cat) so she gets the attention she needs.
  • Actually yes! I have a female yorkie.. and she's always been real close to me but now she actually favors my hubby! She listens to me a lot more, I don't know if I'm more stern with her now??? But she has definitely changed her little miss priss attitude! LOL! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • No dogs but we have 2 cats - one has always favored my husband but she's been snuggling with me more lately.
  • Do you have a basset hound? Just wondering since you said it's normally stubborn :) Our got very protective of his house when I got pregnant.
  • With all of her issues recently, were you treating her differently while she was recovering?? She may be reacting to that more than anything else. After my dog had a hip replacement she definitely challenged my commands more, but we had been totally pampering her while she recovered. I think she was just a bit confused about going back to the regular routine. She is part hound dog and definitely has a stubborn side, but she got back into the routine eventually. 
  • pups been acting like a normal pup but I did have a cat while pregnant before and she wouldn't come near me until after I had the baby
  • The big dog (Porkchop) is no different.  But he can be pretty oblivious.  The little dog (Jasper) has been glued to me since before I knew I was pregnant.  Jasper is really DH's dog, so she has always favored him.  Not anymore, though.  She's my little buddy and always tries to lay on my belly when I sit down.
    My Blog: http://krate24.blogspot.com/ Heather Ann, born still on Jan. 26, 2009 at 27w2d. <a href="http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa361/krate24/?action=view
  • my little man doesn't let me do anything alone anymore.  he has always been my baby but now I am not allowed to go to the bathroom alone, shower alone, or lay in bet all day alone.  He used to stay in the other room all day cuz he could see everything going on & anyone who came in the driveway, but now he is glued to me.  even out & off the leash he will not venture more than about 20 ft from me even when i tell him to go play.  he's a boxer btw, and they are known for being awesomely loyal pups.
  • My one dog doesn't care, but my other one had to be crated again because she was eating all our food. I don't know how she got to it, but she made it through a few boxes of candy, a loaf or two of bread, and an entire bag of cookies over Christmastime. She was stealthy though, we have NO idea how she got it (we suspect a kitten accomplice).

The cats have been pretty weird. Like a pp said, I am not allowed to go to the bathroom alone. And my one cat likes to sit on me pretty much all the time, but she avoids my stomach area like it's dangerous ground or something.

• Our youngest dog doesn't mind me nearly as well as he was/should, but I think with him a lot of it is that he's still very much in training and I haven't been able to work with him as much as DH has.  One of our cats has a really weird pregnancy habit, though...from a couple of days before BFP, with both pregnancies, he has moved from his normal spot sleeping in a chair in our room to sleeping on the pillow above my head.  It's the craziest thing.

• Both my dog and cat have changed. They're both more clingy and cuddly, and my dog is more defensive on walks. Other dogs aren't even allowed to LOOK at me or he'll growl a bit. He knew I was KU before I did--he kept whining and putting his paw or head on my belly.

• I have noticed a difference in our two labs for sure, the big guy... not so much (but we have only had him for a year and the other two since they were puppies) Our male lab, Banjo, has been kind of ignoring me.. he will run up to me gently put his nose on my belly for just a sec and then back up and just stare at me with his head cocked to the side which is pretty funny though lol! My Bella dog, on the other hand, will not leave my side. I had really bad m/s for the first 15-16 wks and stayed on the couch and she would lay there with me ALL day. Now that my m/s is gone, she follows and sleeps next to me and HAS to be touching me (she will sleep with a paw over my legs, or her head on my side). I think the funniest thing is when a friend of ours brought her dogs over, which use to come to our house all the time, and Bella came and sat right in my lap (whats left of it anyways lol) and would not budge!!
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I have a male maltese and he has changed a bit. He leans toward my husband more, but that's not that different. When he's with me, he wants to be around my stomach. He's been laying on my stomach or on my hip or on my side. He's never done that before.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a female boxer, she's about a year and a half old.  Since I have been pregnant she wants to be sitting with (or ON) me.  If we let her lay in the bed with us she curls up in a ball with her head next to my belly.  My husband and I joke that she is already protecting her little brother or sister.  She still listens to my husband more than she listens to me but she is more attentive to what I am doing and where I am than ever before.

• Our dog is waaaay more cuddly. She always has to be right next to me. And she used to always sleep down by my feet and now she always sleeps with her head right on my tummy. I'm really curious if she can hear him wiggling around in there!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My lab is super tuned in to me, and she has become a bit more needy and concerned about where I am and what I'm doing. My husky is just much more nosey than usual. The dogs at the dog park...now THERE is a difference! Most of the dogs know me well since we are there a lot. All of a sudden they are obsessed with me! I walk around with a trail of dogs behind and around me. I am like a magnet all of a sudden. They run to me as soon as I walk in. They are constantly trying to sniff me, erm, down there. These are dogs that have never taken much of an interest in me in the past. It's bizarre. I think my horse has caught onto the change too, but I've had him for about 14 years so I would figure he knows when something is different.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"