2nd Trimester
Options

Cats suffocating babies...

Someone the other day told me that I should get rid of my cat because they will lay next to the baby and "steal it's breath" and when they smell the milk on the babies breath try to get it and suffocate the baby. Well I love my cat so of course I looked it up....

snopes.com, you are my hero....

https://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/catsuck.asp

We already decided that when the baby is here we aren't going to let him sleep our room just because he does like to snuggle and get RIGHT in your face....but get rid of him? No

Had anyone else ever heard this?? 

Re: Cats suffocating babies...

• Options
    I have heard of it but I think it is really ridiculous! If you are worried about it though or just have a really curious cat I believe they sell nets that go over the crib to keep the cat out! I know my cat is going to be way to afraid to go anywhere near the baby... she stays under the bed or in her kitty condo most of the time!
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    My grandmother is TERRIFIED of cats, and therefore is convinced that cats are evil and premeditate the killing if infants by "stealing their breath." I roll my eyes and refuse to even comment anymore. She doesn't even have a legitimate reason for being scared of cats, she says, "I just am." Hmmmpphh...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've heard that and since we bought the crib and put it in our room, the cat will NOT stay out of it. I'm hoping when LO arrives the cat will be freaked out and won't want to be near the baby but if we see kitty try to get in the crib, we'll get one of those mesh covers you can fit over the top of your crib. Not that the cat will suffocate the baby so much but I really don't want cat hair etc all in the crib, yuk!

• Options
    My 2 cats have never gotten close enough to DS to even see that he is breathing. They are cuddlers but most cats want to be far away from things that make that much noise.
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    A lot of people say that.  It's ridiculous.  If people are really worried they can always get a crib tent.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've heard the old wives tales, they're ridiculous.  That said, since the baby isn't supposed to have anything soft in bed, and the kitties are fond of sleeping in smaller spaces/with warm things, we used a crib tent over the pack 'n play until DD was about 8 months.  We didn't bother getting one for the crib she went into after that because by that point the kitties had demonstrated they had no interest in sleeping in her bed whether she was in it or not.

• Options
    It's ridiculous.  I have 4 cats, and I don't worry at all about them coming close to LO.  The HATE loud noises, so I fully expect them to spend the first few weeks hiding under my bed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

m/c 05/2009
    DD born 8/9/10
    TTC #2 since 8/2012
    CP 12/2012
    dx MFI 10/2013
    Surprise BFP 11/6/2013  EDD 7/19/2014
    Beta #1 15 dpo HCG 355 Prog 30.9
    Beta #2 22 dpo HCG 8147 Prog 18.8
    Beta #3 29 dpo HCG 44580 Prog 29.8

• Options
    Yup! Ridiculous old wives tale. Just like my supervisor told me not to lift my arms above my head because it'll wrap the baby's cord around his neck. Ha. I just smiled and nodded.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was told about it, and our cat is  like 25 years old, he cant jump onto the bed by himself let alone in a cradle or a crib... Im not personally worried about my cat but we have a dog thats not that child friendly we may have to be making a decision about her in a minute here :(
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i intend to keep our cats because they defend babies from trolls.

stephen king told me so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_cFNbrPLx4

• Options
    I've heard this and always thought it was ridiculous.  I will be keeping our cats out of the nursery and our room.  I will also try to give them just as much love and attention as I did before.  I've already pre-warned DH that he may have to step up in that department, (he secretly loves the cats, but acts like a big tough guy), and he may have to start giving them more attention too.
  • Options
    That is ridiculous. However, I hate cats and am allergic to them so it's not my problem. ;)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's an Italian superstition, according to my family. Some people think the cats jump into the crib to "steal the baby's breath", or because of the smell of milk on the baby, etc. It's all just another way to scare the crap out of pregnant women, though I have to admit some of the old wives tales are so pointless they are actually funny.
    ~Renee Mommy to Caden (4)and Ariana (10 months) Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy and her babies, Disney World, April 24, 2011
  • Options
    I have heard of it but as an old wives tale. We are definitely not getting rid of our cat. He won't be sleeping on top of the baby anyways.
  • Options
    imagebstrangely:

stephen king told me so.

Ha! My stepmom gave me the stealing babies breath thing and I told her "No, cats kill the trolls that steal baby's breath. Haven't you seen the documentry Cat's Eye?" She didn't get it. I'm sending her the DVD for her birthday. :p

Team Basement Cat imageKnitting&Kitties
  • Options
    imagebstrangely:

stephen king told me so.

hahahahaha!! I love it! 

• Options
    imagemrskilbride:

I've heard that and since we bought the crib and put it in our room, the cat will NOT stay out of it. I'm hoping when LO arrives the cat will be freaked out and won't want to be near the baby but if we see kitty try to get in the crib, we'll get one of those mesh covers you can fit over the top of your crib. Not that the cat will suffocate the baby so much but I really don't want cat hair etc all in the crib, yuk!

My cat loved getting in the boys' cribs and bassinetts before they were born.  Once they came home she had NO interest in them whatsoever.  I haven't seen her go near their cribs at all since I had them.

Mom to Alex - 8.29.06, Foster - 1.22.09, Emily - 6.24.11 imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemeshaliu:
    imagebstrangely:

stephen king told me so.

Ha! My stepmom gave me the stealing babies breath thing and I told her "No, cats kill the trolls that steal baby's breath. Haven't you seen the documentry Cat's Eye?" She didn't get it. I'm sending her the DVD for her birthday. :p

that is fantastic!

• Options

When I brought home my bassinet the first thing that happened were the cats jumping in!  I guess they have been my babies for the past 10 years. I bought some of the sticky tape that prevents them from scratching and put it inside on a piece of cardboard.  Hopefully they will learn not to like it.  I plan to try the same when I finally get the crib up.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemrskilbride:

Don't worry the cat will be gone when the baby arrives.  Our cats seldom are with our DD without one of us being involved.  They don't trust her.

• Options
    I love your comment...so funny!! I have 5 cats, and I'm just going to keep the door closed.
  • Options
    total old wives tale. I feel so badly for all of the kitties who are discarded because of this.
    Siggy Deleted Due to Internet Stalking. Mama to Q, born July 2010
  • Options

imagedesigner_wifey:
    I've heard this and always thought it was ridiculous.  I will be keeping our cats out of the nursery and our room.  I will also try to give them just as much love and attention as I did before.  I've already pre-warned DH that he may have to step up in that department, (he secretly loves the cats, but acts like a big tough guy), and he may have to start giving them more attention too.

I love this, my DH is the same way, used claim that he HATED our 2 cats, but he loves it when they sit on him instead of me!

I am pretty sure one cat will be oblivious and the other will hide for the first few weeks (he runs under the bed at any loud noises) even though he is a huge cuddler. All the old wives tales make me laugh! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"