Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How to get 10 wk old to STTN

DS has been sleeping 4 hour stretches, basically since day 1 - At 10 weeks old, he is still doing the same.. I BF during the day, and pump.. then at night he gets a BM bottle right before bed (6 ozs). Goes down around 10:30-11 and is up around 3 and 7 every night... How can I get him to start skipping the 3:00 feeding? I have tried to give him his paci, but within 5 minutes, he spits it out and starts crying again.

Also, he is VERY difficult to put to bed at night.. sometimes it takes us 30 minutes of on and off crying, us going into his room, giving his paci back, etc.. until he actually falls asleep.. any tips?? :) TIA

Re: How to get 10 wk old to STTN

• yes, we swaddle - but with his arms out, as he HATES when his arms are in..

• Loading the player...
  • Ds hates to have arms swaddle, or so we thought. We now swaddle them in. He fights it for about a min, then calms down. He often sleeps 7-8 hours. However, he's always been a sleepy baby. I believe sttn at this age is more about the baby then anything you do.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• When he gets up at 3, just try and change him and rock him back to sleep.  If he will let you,
  • Thanks ladies :) I will re-attempt the swaddling with arms in AND  changing without feeding at 3! Hope it's a success!
  • imagekelbel527:
    Ds hates to have arms swaddle, or so we thought. We now swaddle them in. He fights it for about a min, then calms down. He often sleeps 7-8 hours. However, he's always been a sleepy baby. I believe sttn at this age is more about the baby then anything you do.

I have to agree with this. My baby is 10 weeks and nowhere near STTN yet. Sometimes he will skip a feeding but mostly he's hungry at night every 3 hours. I'm not stressing about it, I know he'll do it on his own time. I don't think it's anything we're doing "wrong."

• Sounds like a normal 10 wk old.  Most babies don't STTN. 
  • DD is just 11 wk today and has never sttn.  4 hr maybe 5 hr stretches if we're lucky.  We are on the same schedule.  Sounds like ur doing what i've heard works.  Baby may not be ready.
  • imageSassystace:
    Sounds like a normal 10 wk old.  Most babies don't STTN. 

This.  It is not the norm for a  10 week old to STTN. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • if you are going to get up to change and reswaddle or rock to sleep than you should feed him. LO dont sleep thru the night .  yes, it is alot of work but that is part of being a mom. I think you should continue to feed him.

ds #1 didnt sleep through the night until 6months and ds#2 not until 9months.

• Also, he may be difficult to get to sleep because he's over tired. We put DS down at 8 - 8:30. He sleeps until 2-3, then 6-7. 10:30-11 seems late to me, but I suppose it's relative to your daily routine...
  • I have yet to try this, but I heard that you should set your alarm for about 15 minutes before he normally wakes up and offer a "dream feed."  This is where you would just feed him, but not change him.  You would try to keep him asleep.  I have not tried this, but I've heard after about a week or so of doing this, he will sleep right through that time.  Some babies are waking up out of habit at that time and not because he's hungry.
  • I would kill for your night time schedule with my 12 week old!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"