Babies: 0 - 3 Months

sleeping in swing

when your lo sleeps in the swing do you keep it swinging the whole time? Is there a max that you should let your lo swing for any given time or it doesn't matter?
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: sleeping in swing

• I usually keep it swinging the whole time.  She only naps in there, so it's 1.5-2 hours max.
  • I keep it going never thought of stopping it. She naps in there and loves it so I don't put a time limit.  Normally it is in the afternoon either before or after tummy time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We let Ds sleep in his swing at night, I usually keep it at a 1 or a 2 speed setting. (goes up to 5) He sleeps about 4 hours at a time now. I just feel like he will stay asleep in his swing but if we lay him down in his crib after a night feeding he wakes up 15 min later.

I remeber when he was first home and I put him in there to sleep I was so nervous about leaving him I slept on the floor next to it. :)

• According to most books, sleep in motion is not a good deep sleep, so you should try to get in the habit of turning it off after your child is asleep and let them just sleep sitting in the swing.
  • We leave it on the whole time on top speed, she loves it - the faster the better. She still takes some serious naps (2-3hrs) in her swing at almost 3mo old. We have one that plugs in too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • only gets shut off is she needs to be woken or taken out
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We leave it going, but on the lowest speed. If we turn it off, it usually wakes her up.
    Photobucket
  • if its already on I usually leave it on for a little while then turn it off...and he doesnt seem to notice...but if its at the end of his nap and i turn it off obviously he wakes up..but right now he is napping in there and its off...
  • imageMrsStu:
    We leave it going, but on the lowest speed. If we turn it off, it usually wakes her up.

This.  Actually I keep it on a medium speed, but as soon as I slow it down or stop, she wakes up.

• The only reason I would stop it is because he is totally asleep and the swing is LOUD!
  • Swings are a great way to quiet your baby, but you might as well give him/her a drink. Harsh, I know, but it's the same effect. Ever noticed the look on a toddler's face when he/she stares at a TV? That thousand yard stare, slack-jawed, numb... same thing. 

I am not criticizing. Do what you want. But it was pointed out to me with my first child. I saw how her eyes went blank, her jaw dropped, and... well, I decided I wouldn't do that to her anymore. She found her thumb early on and was able to comfort herself. If she was crying and she DIDN'T use her thumb, I knew there was some other need.  

• imagesusie2242:

We let Ds sleep in his swing at night, I usually keep it at a 1 or a 2 speed setting. (goes up to 5) He sleeps about 4 hours at a time now. I just feel like he will stay asleep in his swing but if we lay him down in his crib after a night feeding he wakes up 15 min later.

I remeber when he was first home and I put him in there to sleep I was so nervous about leaving him I slept on the floor next to it. :)

This exactly! Down to sleeping on the floor! It is next to our bed now. I having been trying the crib, but it is a no go. I have been having some guilt about letting him sleep in there, but he is so happy and sleeps for a long time. I read an article about SIDS recently that talked about carbon dioxide "pooling" by their faces and I figured if the swing is going, there can't be any pooling!

McDume, my child never gets that look on his face. He coos and ahh's in his swing like he does any other time. It has lights and a mobile and he tracks the mobile and swings at it. But, thank for sharing!

• ... don't get me started on mobiles.
  • imageMrsStu:
    We leave it going, but on the lowest speed. If we turn it off, it usually wakes her up.

this happens with ds too

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"