3rd Trimester

3 days away from due date and no signs of labor :-(... Should I ask for induction?

I'm 3 days away from my due date and no signs of labor, no dilation, no contractions, no nothing ...she is just jumping and dancing like there is no tomorrow.  I'm so tired of being pregnant, can't sleep at night between the bathroom trips, awful heartburn, back pains, and congestion. Should I ask to be induced?  I'm a bit scared of it... but I'm not sure how much I can wait here.  On a side note, my parents are coming for 10 days from Puerto Rico to be with their first grandchild.... and I don't want to be so late that they will miss the entire chapter.  Any advice?

Re: 3 days away from due date and no signs of labor :-(... Should I ask for induction?

• I don't think it would hurt to ask. Good Luck with everything!
  • I would let nature take its course - given that you could be 2 weeks late and that is perfectly normal.

Unless you have another appointment scheduled, I would just wait it out until you're at least 5 days past due.

JMO

• Loading the player...
  • Start walking when you have time----maybe your LO's head will pound your cervix enough to soften/start labor.  Plus if you were to be induced, you want to have seen "progress" already to avoid a c-sec.
    Megan--Mommy to Owen 1.10.07 and Gibson 5.11.10
  • Human gestation averages between 38 and 42 weeks. No, I would not ask for an induction yet, especially if you're not showing any signs of labor.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nope, not unless there is harm to you or the baby.  Baby is likely just not ready.  Induction can often lead to c-section.  I'd wait it out.  Worst case see if your parents can delay their departure. 
  • I would try every OWT out there before asking for induction. Induction is not fun at all.

Try walking, sex, spicy foods, nipple stimulation, etc.

It all worked for me :)

• I would let your doctor make that call. Mine said they don't like to induce before 41 weeks because of an elevated risk of c-section. Your EDD is just that ... an estimate. It is normal for babies to arrive anywhere from two weeks before to two weeks after that date. People seem to forget about that.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Can't hurt to ask!

My doc gave me the option to induce Sunday night/Monday or wait till later next week and we're probably choosing the Monday option. I'm pretty much in the same boat. Cervix is starting to soften but no dilation and i'm only contracting a little... mostly just BH still though.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    formerly known as katrinalee48
  • Since you're showing no signs of labor, I wouldn't ask.  If you were starting to dilate on your own and had some progress but just not active labor, my answer would be different.  With no signs of labor you have a good liklihood of ending up with a c-section.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageBelhurstBride:
    Human gestation averages between 38 and 42 weeks. No, I would not ask for an induction yet, especially if you're not showing any signs of labor.

This!  If your body is not ready (cervix dialated or effaced then the induction if 50% more likely to end in c/s). Put up your dukes, you might get really flamed for this ?.

• Me, personally...I'm doing everything I can to avoid induction. Look up some OWT. Walk around. Get your body active. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • dantodanto member

Do you know your Bishop's Score?  If it's below an 8 (and it sounds like it is if you have 'no signs') your induction may end with a C-Section.

Hang in there!!

• I am facing a similar situation... well, I'm still 2+ weeks away from my due date, but my mom lives in NV and I live in WI. She booked her flight to come visit based on my due date. Due date is April 8th and she will be here for ten days - from April 2-12th. It makes me nervous that I could possibly go over and she could miss the birth completely. I would be devistated... I really need her here for it. It's my first baby and she is my mother (and I don't have any other family around - besides dh's)! I don't care what anyone says... on my due date, if this baby is not here I will be talking to my dr about an induction so she can meet her grandbaby before she leaves on the 12th. Thankfully I am already 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced (I know - doesn't mean much)... but at least I'm already showing some positive signs of progression!
    High risk momma: Diagnosed with a partially abrupted placenta at 32 weeks and sentenced to strict bed rest for the remainder. Pregnancy Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I would talk to my doctor about whatever is on my mind, induction included. That does not mean it's going to happen.  
  • Ummm....my due date was yesterday and I've had very little progress.  Your doctor will unlikely induce you unless you're 1 or 2 weeks past your due date.  
  • AlikiAliki member
    imagedanto:

Do you know your Bishop's Score?  If it's below an 8 (and it sounds like it is if you have 'no signs') your induction may end with a C-Section.

Hang in there!!

This. Sounds like you are not a candidate for an induction.

Also, a word about due dates: Dr. Naegele, who died in the 1850's, made the rule doctors use to calculate due dates and assumed that pregnancy lasted ten lunar months (i.e. 40 weeks).

It wasn't until 1990 that Harvard scientists checked his premise and turns out the median length is 41 weeks and 1 day, NOT 40 weeks.

Of course, since it was established since the 1850s, we just go by the convention of 40 weeks, when the TRUE average is 41 weeks 1 day. (see R. Mittendorf et al, "The Length of Uncomplicated Human Gestation" in Obstetrics & Gynecology)

TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I understand that being induced can supposedly lead to a higher chance of csection but I just wanted to give you another side. I was in your situation with the family only being able to come in at a certain time too so I was induced 3 days before my due date. My cervix was beginning to soften and I was almost a fingertip dilated. I was started off with cervidil, water broke after about 6 hrs on it and after that they started pitocin etc. My labor from water breaking to him being born was 12 hrs with 15 min of pushing. Everything went perfectly. I've had several friends have completely successful inductions as well...only 1 out of 6 have had to have an emergency csection and that was because baby was too big to fit through her pelvis. I would love for this birth to go exactly the same way. I think I read your chance of csection increases by 40% when you are induced but who knows. Asking your doc about it can't hurt! Just do what you feel is right for you! GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagehomebird:
    I would let your doctor make that call. Mine said they don't like to induce before 41 weeks because of an elevated risk of c-section. Your EDD is just that ... an estimate. It is normal for babies to arrive anywhere from two weeks before to two weeks after that date. People seem to forget about that.

This!  Women get too hung up that their EDD is the day they will deliver, remember it's an estimate, and most 1st time moms tend to go over their due date....i had 3 friends become 1st time moms last fall & all 3 went 41 or 42 weeks, which is totatlly normal.  I think OB's need to start telling women that a due date isn't a guaranteed date, but just an estimate so you can somewhat prepare. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageAliki:
    imagedanto:

Hang in there!!

This. Sounds like you are not a candidate for an induction.

Also, a word about due dates: Dr. Naegele, who died in the 1850's, made the rule doctors use to calculate due dates and assumed that pregnancy lasted ten lunar months (i.e. 40 weeks).

It wasn't until 1990 that Harvard scientists checked his premise and turns out the median length is 41 weeks and 1 day, NOT 40 weeks.

Of course, since it was established since the 1850s, we just go by the convention of 40 weeks, when the TRUE average is 41 weeks 1 day. (see R. Mittendorf et al, "The Length of Uncomplicated Human Gestation" in Obstetrics & Gynecology)

This! I wish more people knew this. Most people look at me like I have 2 heads when I try to tell them this!
  • If you want to be induced, ask your Dr.  The worst he could say is "no". 

I had a perfectly fine induction last time around and we are planning one this time as well.  I have had two different OBs now and both were content with scheduled inductions.  It has not been, in my experience, difficult for a Dr. to agree to this as many have posted.  I simply asked, and they said "Sure - when?"  I checked into the hospital and 9 hours later I had a baby. I labored about 7 hours, and pushed for 30 min. Just my experience. 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • I am not that far, but I would say no. You may be surprised on your EDD to naturally go into labor. If you were post EDD, that may be a different story. Wait a few days and then talk to your doctor. I am not a fan of getting inductions because I would like her to come on her own. But either way, GL to you!!

****Sending you labor dust****

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"