Breastfeeding

Fed up and quitting seems like the only option

This is the 3rd time I am getting mastitis while battling thrush that hasn't gone away in over a month. I've done every treatment possible for thrush including being on diflucan for 2 weeks and nystatin cream and treating LO while treating myself. It just doesn't get better. To make things worse I keep getting mastitis on top of it. I don't know what I am doing wrong. LO latch is fine and the actual act of breastfeeding doesn't hurt. I'm just tired of dealing with the itching, burning, and deep shooting breast pains in both breasts. I am at my wits end and feel like its time for me to quit which makes me so sad. Crying

Re: Fed up and quitting seems like the only option

• I get the same feelings on my breasts, just not so intense... i thought it was just my milk producing??? i feel like quitting too but only becaue my LO is too lazy to eat from my breasts and only wants a bottle, but the thought of it makes me sad too... its such a great bonding experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you are having a tough time. I had mastitis three times in those early weeks of breastfeeding. Do you have an oversupply? That was my problem. Once things got a little better and I got some rest, everything was fine. HAve you actually been to see a doctor for the mastitis? Did they inspect your nipples to make sure there were no cuts where bacteria could be coming in? Do you run a fever with the mastitis? My letdown was pretty painful for the first several months. It felt like sharp, shooting pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm so sorry for your struggles. I hope it gets better soon. Unfortunately, I have no advice, but maybe you can get some support to continue (and possibly advice about the thrush/mastitis) from a LC. Hang in there!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I am right there with you!! I just found out yesterday thad I have thrush and I am miserable!! I really hope I can get it to go away soon...
  • Really sorry about the thrush/ mastitis. I had both of them, but not at the same time, so I can only empathize with what you are going through. If you are going through this for over a month ask your doctor to do a resistance check. What that means is that he can test your infection culture to see if it resistant to certain types of medication.

For mastitis, I hope you are pumping/ feeding more than usual. That is the only way to get over it. A trick I used was to massage my breast & then apply a hot washcloth at the area of the lump while I was pumping.

Since this is your third time, I would suggest that you check your breast for lumps after every feeding. Sometimes prevention is better than cure.

Hang in there. You have made it so far. If you can get over this current phase, it should be easy from here. Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"