3rd Trimester

Is anyone's DH not going to CUT THE CORD?

Is anyone's DH not going to cut the cord?

Mine doesnt want to and I dont blame him!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is anyone's DH not going to CUT THE CORD?

• I doubt mine will.  He didn't with the first, but that was an unplanned C-section and he would only stay at my head.

He is squeamish when it comes to needles and blood.

I'm okay with whatever he is comfortable with.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine says absolutely not.  I'm pretty sure he thinks its disgusting, plus he's of the "you went to med school, I'm not doing your job!" mind set, lol
  • Loading the player...
  • I know at the hospital where I will be delivering, it will depend on the doctor on duty as to whether or not that will even be an option for my husband. I don't know if he will or not, we haven't realy discussed it...doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. I guess it will be up to him when and if they ask him if he wants to, I certainly won't be offended if he doesn't want to!
  • I personally think it seems a little weird, but I left it up to him and he doesn't seem to want to.  He says he's just going to see how he feels in the moment.
  • Mine's not. He thinks the whole metaphor of him like, seperating the connection between the baby and me is bizarro. I'm pretty sure he just also thinks it's kind of gross.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • Mine didn't last time and I'm sure he won't this time. 

• Mine isn't, he doesn't do well with blood and stuff period so I'm just hopefully he makes it through the delivery w/o passing out, so cutting the cord isn't even an option!!
  • When we took the hospital tour last week someone asked the tour lady about this.  As we were leaving the labor room DH whispered to me "honey, I don't want to cut the cord", like he thought I was going to get mad at him.  Haha! 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mine most likely won't...he didn't with DS either!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • CD+ALCD+AL member
    DH caught DS and cut his cord, but this time I'm planning to cut the cord if possible after DH catches DD if it all works out so that I can.  I'm kind of looking forward to it.  DH is totally on board with it since he gets to catch DD b/c that's still his special role.

• Mine is, I didn't realize I was a minority.
  • I thought I knew that my DH definatly would not want to cut the cord...but once again he has surprised me! The Dr asked him if he was interetested and he said yes! Definatly thought he would be saying NO WAY!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DH works in the emergency room, sees blood and guts all the time and has absolutely no desire to cut the cord.  He's planning on staying at my head the entire time.  I think he's afraid if he sees what's going on "down there" in any way, that it will impact our sex life forever! Big Smile
  • I am pretty sure my husband plans on cutting the cord when our son is born. Guess I'll have to ask him when he gets home now. HaHa. But, he is also a paramedic student, so he may have to do it at some point in his career, so I'd hope that he wanted the first one to be his son's. Wink
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 6/28/12 EDD 03/07/13 MC 4w5d 07/03/12 new baby
    BabyName Ticker
    BFP 07/30/12 EDD 04/09/13
  • I have a feeling that will be a game day decision. 

I don't care either way though.  I don't think I would!

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Mine has already declared that he will not be cutting the cord. He has the "Nobody helps me do my job, and i'm not helping the doctor do his/hers" mindset.
  • My DH is really squeamish and says he doesn't think he wants to cut it. He also thinks the whole "cutting the link" between baby and me is something he wants to do.
  • Mine didn't.  I ended up w/a c/s, but DH had indicated that he wasn't interested in cutting the cord before we knew the delivery would end that way.  On a happy note, the PA intern who observed my c/s (his first) was thrilled to cut the cord.  He wasn't able to do so with his two kids and kept thanking us for letting him have the honors.  :)
  • Our plan with DS#1 was no, but when the time came the nurses/doctors shoved it at him and he did it. Indifferent

The plan was also for him to stay up by my head, but that didn't work either.  There wasn't room.  

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Wow, I didn't realize so many daddys didn't cut the cord... My SO is not only cutting the cord but he is hoping to catch her on the way out... He's not easily grossed out and its a momentous occasion for him. He's excited about catching her the most because its kinda like his way of bringing her officially into this world... Hopefully that actually works out for him!
  • imagewrhodes09:
    Mine has already declared that he will not be cutting the cord. He has the "Nobody helps me do my job, and i'm not helping the doctor do his/hers" mindset.

I'm not sure I get this mindset..it's not as if the doctors need/want the help. It's just if it's something the father wants to do, it's allowed. I don't think there's a right or wrong here, just personal preference, but I really don't get why he'd think he's "helping" the medical staff do their job.

• imageourkybaby:
    Mine isn't, he doesn't do well with blood and stuff period so I'm just hopefully he makes it through the delivery w/o passing out, so cutting the cord isn't even an option!!

this!

• Mine isn't, he said it was strange to him to meet his kid and then immediately perform a medical procedure on her where he didn't know what he was doing.
  • My DH was not interested in it at ALL.  I told him to keep an open mind and just decide when the moment comes.  Well he refused, lol.  He won't cut it this time either.

I don't really care either way.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Mine doesn't want to, but said he will if the Dr. seems to want for him to (so if the Dr. hands it all over to him, he probably will...)
  • Mine doesn't want to.  He said he wants the medical professionals to do it (even though they trim it after it's cut anyway).  I asked my friend who's an OB resident and she said only about 25% of the dads cut the cord.
  • My DH wants to, and I can definitely see him making a smart ass remark like "do we get a discount since I'm the one doing this" as he cuts. lol!
  • Mine isn't.  
  • My DH is planning on it, but should he get grossed out and not want to my little sister is going to be in there too and would jump at the chance :) (she's starting med school next year and is thinking about obstetrics and she is my bestie so I am having her in the delivery room too) 
  • imagemopsie:
    I asked my friend who's an OB resident and she said only about 25% of the dads cut the cord.

Wow, interesting.  I had no idea.  

DH will, he's a Doctor and has delivered babies many times during med school (though he's not an OB).  I think he'd even help 'catch' if they let him but I might prefer him up at my head helping me.  We'll see - we'll go with the flow, I guess. 

• Mine didn't with DD, I think he was still processing all he was required to see when he had to hold my leg during labor to keep it out of the midwife's way, since I had told him beforehand he just had to stay by my head and be encouraging.  When he said he didn't want to, they asked if I wanted to, and I did. DH gets very squeamish about blood and needles and medical procedures so I was pretty impressed he hadn't passed out during the birth where he saw much more than I did.
  • imageCD+AL:
    DH caught DS and cut his cord, but this time I'm planning to cut the cord if possible after DH catches DD if it all works out so that I can.  I'm kind of looking forward to it.  DH is totally on board with it since he gets to catch DD b/c that's still his special role.

I tried to get DH to catch LO but he refuses.  Since he's a doc, it's not like he's never done it before, but I understand.  I didn't ask about the cord, I just assumed he would.  Hmm... 

• Mine won't. He's expressed no interest in it and I don't care either.
  • I asked DH if he wanted to cut the cord and he thought that was just an absurd idea. Hahaha. Oh well. I don't really care either. It'll still ask him once we are in that position... He might want to then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"