3rd Trimester

Watching CNN and health care bill issue...

This bill affects me alot. Pretty much will make my job obsolete if it passes, stresses me out big time.

I agree we need to improve health care and access to health care in this country... but this bill (and socialized medicine) scares me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Watching CNN and health care bill issue...

• I am not in favor of it. The majority of Americans are against this bill as well. I think most Americans want some type of reform but believe this bill is not the way to get it.A

I will say that I am a staunch Republican and I am totally against the way they are trying to pass this bill.

• imageljsmith:

I am not in favor of it. The majority of Americans are against this bill as well. I think most Americans want some type of reform but believe this bill is not the way to get it.A

I will say that I am a staunch Republican and I am totally against the way they are trying to pass this bill.

Can I ask what about the bill it is that you're specifically against?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • Loading the player...
  • I need more information, more facts before I form an opinion. There is so much out there, not sure what to believe.
  • imageljsmith:

I am not in favor of it. The majority of Americans are against this bill as well. I think most Americans want some type of reform but believe this bill is not the way to get it.A

I'm in pharmaceuticals. We get research results come in almost daily. A poll that came out Friday shows that if this bill passes 30% of PCP doctors (primary care providers) will retire, quit...etc. Thats just primary care docs. In my territory I hav 175 PCP's assigned to me (there are probably another 100 assigned to my partners) so that means at least 53 docs may leave their practice. eek

• imageallyandpat2010:

I agree we need to improve health care and access to health care in this country... but this bill (and socialized medicine) scares me.

Agreed! 

• When they started seriously talking about passing a bill like this DH's work changed our insurance in preparation for it and it is TERRIBLE now. It covers absolutly nothing and I know its only going to get more expensive if/when we have to go out and purchase our own government plan. Ugh Im soooo not supportive of this bill at all.
  • my job recently cut my hours from full time to part time. Since this happened we will not be able to afford cobra. Unfortunately, I do not qualify for medicaid either so having a baby will now cost us a fortune. Trying to find coverage when you are pregnant is not easy. I completely support health care reform for people who are in a position like I am.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lydia Eloise (5/25/10)
    Nora Annabelle (2/14/12)
    M/C 6.5 weeks (1/29/14) EDD (9/21/14)
  • imageallyandpat2010:
    imageljsmith:

I'm in pharmaceuticals. We get research results come in almost daily. A poll that came out Friday shows that if this bill passes 30% of PCP doctors (primary care providers) will retire, quit...etc. Thats just primary care docs. In my territory I hav 175 PCP's assigned to me (there are probably another 100 assigned to my partners) so that means at least 53 docs may leave their practice. eek

I know something needs to change but I don't have a good idea of what needs to be done. Ally I am terrified I won't have a job to go back to after baby though if this goes through. (also a pharm rep) It makes me panicky, all the Drs I called on feel so strongly opposed and share the same sentiment about retiring etc.  

• imagemiranda040:
    my job recently cut my hours from full time to part time. Since this happened we will not be able to afford cobra. Unfortunately, I do not qualify for medicaid either so having a baby will now cost us a fortune. Trying to find coverage when you are pregnant is not easy. I completely support health care reform for people who are in a position like I am.

This is an example of how medicaid needs improving- which is a state subsidized program, not a federal socialized program as proposed.

• imagemiranda040:
    my job recently cut my hours from full time to part time. Since this happened we will not be able to afford cobra. Unfortunately, I do not qualify for medicaid either so having a baby will now cost us a fortune. Trying to find coverage when you are pregnant is not easy. I completely support health care reform for people who are in a position like I am.

I completely agree. My husband owns a small business with only 5 employees and I have been out of work since 2nd tri. If it wasn't for medicaid we would be royally screwed. I hope this bill passes because then I can actually work and contribute to our income. If I work now our income goes to high and we don't qualify for Medicaid.  We are in a real balancing act.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

ok, so not really, but I just found this picture and HAD to post it somewhere. Smile 

• imageKKWISC:

imagemiranda040:

I completely agree. My husband owns a small business with only 5 employees and I have been out of work since 2nd tri. If it wasn't for medicaid we would be royally screwed. I hope this bill passes because then I can actually work and contribute to our income. If I work now our income goes to high and we don't qualify for Medicaid.  We are in a real balancing act.

Same boat, sort of. I work for a very small company that doesn't offer insurance, and DH works for a small company that offers the worst insurance I have ever encountered in my life. Our portion of the premium would be $1050 A MONTH and the deductible is $9,000 in network, twice that out of network. I totally understand that everyone has their own best interests to keep in mind... but the fact that insurance that heinously expensive can even exist is a problem.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • imageallyandpat2010:

imagemiranda040:

This is an example of how medicaid needs improving- which is a state subsidized program, not a federal socialized program as proposed.

Setting standards that would prevent the health care industry from making millions of dollars in profit by unnecessarily raising rates for patients. It will take away pre-exisiting conditions (which pregnancy is considered for many plans) and allow everyone more affordable options. None of this sounds like a horrible plan to me, nor does it imply socialization. We will still have options and be allowed to choose insurance providers, it just offers a little more protection and affordibility for the American people.

Lydia Eloise (5/25/10)
    Nora Annabelle (2/14/12)
    M/C 6.5 weeks (1/29/14) EDD (9/21/14)
  • imageAbJams:
    imageKKWISC:

imagemiranda040:

Same boat, sort of. I work for a very small company that doesn't offer insurance, and DH works for a small company that offers the worst insurance I have ever encountered in my life. Our portion of the premium would be $1050 A MONTH and the deductible is $9,000 in network, twice that out of network. I totally understand that everyone has their own best interests to keep in mind... but the fact that insurance that heinously expensive can even exist is a problem.

It's so frustrating. Even if I find work now I don't make enough of a wage to make up for the expensive health care. I can only find crappy $10/hr jobs. I would have to make almost $20/hr to make it beneficial financially for me to work and purchase the employers health care.

Yes I understand with PP that as a Pharm rep things will change but the environment of pharmaceutical sales has been changing over the last few years anyway. My mom is a clinic manager and works super close with the reps and  for years the drug companies have been cutting back on direct reps in the clinics.

• imageallyandpat2010:

This bill affects me alot. Pretty much will make my job obsolete if it passes, stresses me out big time.

Girl I'm so right wing, the Republicans are too liberal for me. This bill infuriates me. DH and I are very political and its KILLING me!!!!!!

• I have watched the actual debate on C-SPAN.  I am blessed to have great insurance from DH's employer but I know many people who are not as fortunate.  I just think we can do better as a developed country.
  • imageLux_Diva:
    I have watched the actual debate on C-SPAN.  I am blessed to have great insurance from DH's employer but I know many people who are not as fortunate.  I just think we can do better as a developed country.

Exactly right. Even if the bill has some kinks in it at least its opening up the conversation and making SOMETHING happen.  Its bringing to light the issues with health care in the US.

• This Bill is CRAP! We need reform, but this is not reform! Not to mention the gov't shuldn't be able to Force you to purchase insurance! That is just crap!  It is scary.  I hope your job is ok...
  •  

The bill has its good and bad points and I would venture to say the majority of the American people have not read one sentence of the bill.  Rather we rely on the media and interest groups (on both sides of the issue) to shove down our throats the highlights.  

I have a problem with the government mandating that everyone who is otherwise not covered purchase a product to keep costs low. To call this legislation socialized medicine however is furtherest from the truth and I am going on a limb that the pharmaceutical and insurance industry along with the medical community will not only survive but benefit from having millions of more paying customers.  

• imagelovinfall:

The bill has its good and bad points and I would venture to say the majority of the American people have not read one sentence of the bill.  Rather we rely on the media and interest groups (on both sides of the issue) to shove down our throats the highlights.  

I have a problem with the government mandating that everyone who is otherwise not covered purchase a product to keep costs low. To call this legislation socialized medicine however is furtherest from the truth and I am going on a limb that the pharmaceutical and insurance industry along with the medical community will not only survive but benefit from having millions of more paying customers.  

Pharmaceutical and medical device companies are going to have heavy taxes levied against them.

Also the government will mandate how each disease state is treated. (taking the options out of the doctor's hands) They will keep only a few drugs in each category.

• imageallyandpat2010:
    imagelovinfall:

Pharmaceutical and medical device companies are going to have heavy taxes levied against them.

Also the government will mandate how each disease state is treated. (taking the options out of the doctor's hands) They will keep only a few drugs in each category.

As opposed to every other industry that is heavily taxed and has to deal with government regulation yet seems to survive and evolve? Relatively speaking pharmaceutical companies have had it very easy. 

How exactly will the government mandate how disease is treated? I haven't read that portion of the bill.  If that is the case how is that any different from the current system where insurance companies with less benevolent intentions than the federal government mandate what they will and will not pay for when it comes to coverage and basically direct medical care? 

I think this is too important of an issue to use scare tactics to inform people.

• Government run - that phrase has a bad connotation for me.  They can't keep medicare, medicaid, or the va program running correctly, and they want to provide healthcare for the nation?! I know healthcare needs to be reformed; I know there are so many people w/out healthcare. I don't have the answer, nor am I voted on by the people and paid by the people to figure it out.

How can anyone say it's not SOCIALIZED healthcare? It's going to be expensive, and someone is going to have to pay for it. Which means taxes. Which means taking money earned by the "haves" and giving to the "have nots."

(I'm a public school teacher and my husband works for the national guard, so I do not consider myself a "have".)

Yes, I am also a republican, and I think that the dems are on a power trip, out to prove that they can pass what they said they were going to pass - whether it is what the American people want or not!

• imageallyandpat2010:
    imageljsmith:

I was in Pharmaceuticals as well. Somehow I have some reluctance to believe that 30% of doctors who went through all that time and expense of schooling are going to quit to become...what?  Baggers at the grocery store?  Financial Planners? Work retail?  I have to be honest with wedding, baby, and splitting with my husband and everything else the last 8 months I havent had a whole lot of time to continue to follow this (I worked for the Obama campaign and was really into it....but lately just have fallen out of the loop a bit) I am not sure I think this bill is the answer (as I havent read it) but this seems like an extreme ....30% of doctors will quit? Sure this isnt just another scare tactic? god knows our country has gotten pretty good at those.

• imageKerianne1176:
    imageallyandpat2010:
    imageljsmith:

I was in Pharmaceuticals as well. Somehow I have some reluctance to believe that 30% of doctors who went through all that time and expense of schooling are going to quit to become...what?  Baggers at the grocery store?  Financial Planners? Work retail?  I have to be honest with wedding, baby, and splitting with my husband and everything else the last 8 months I havent had a whole lot of time to continue to follow this (I worked for the Obama campaign and was really into it....but lately just have fallen out of the loop a bit) I am not sure I think this bill is the answer (as I havent read it) but this seems like an extreme ....30% of doctors will quit? Sure this isnt just another scare tactic? god knows our country has gotten pretty good at those.

Of course its a scare tactic! This bill will actually help hospitals because everyone will be required to have health insurance. Hospitals are going in the red now because people are getting care and the patient can't pay for it. When the hospitals don't get paid the employee's don't get paid. 

• imageBrittH05:
    This Bill is CRAP! We need reform, but this is not reform! Not to mention the gov't shuldn't be able to Force you to purchase insurance! That is just crap!  It is scary.  I hope your job is ok...

Why, we have to purchase car insurance, home insurance, why should medical be any different. Millions of people are not covered, under-covered which costs us (all) millions of unpaid medical costs. Medical bills is the top rated reason for financial issues and believe it is at least time that someone got the ball rolling. This has been a topic for so long yet nothing was ton at least it is being looked at and proposed even if there are kinks that need to be worked out. Nobody is going to agree but think we can all agree things are not alright they way they are, something has to change.

• I am pretty sure that the people on here throwing out these scare tactics haven't actually read the bill nor do they really know what they're talking about.  
  • I've read almost everything I can on the bill.... its affects my job greatly so I want to be informed.
  • I don't agree with everything that is in the bill. When I heard that my insurance company may be able to raise my rates if they deem me overweight that really got my blood pressure up. I mean I am pregnant and what I may feel fine with weight and size wise they may not! So that was not cool to me. I know that we will never have perfect bills in congress, because you can not please all of the people all of the time. Dems and Pubs are always going to disagree, but something has to get done. A starting point is better than no starting point if you ask me. It has just been really frustrating for me that it took so long for something like this to happen. Chuck Todd made an interesting point about the health care debate on meet the press this morning. He said that Dems and Pubs have such severe philosophical differences on health care. Dems see it as a right and Pubs see it as a priviledge. That is why the fight will probably never be over, that is why they will never agree. I am just happy that something is getting moved forward, because we as a nation need to be better for our citizen's.
  • imageKerianne1176:
    imageallyandpat2010:
    imageljsmith:

My uncle is one of these doctors and he has said he will leave his practice if this passes.  He has a hard enough time collecting from medicare, he doesn't want to get into the same situations with government run healthcare.

• imagekwinters87:
    imageKerianne1176:
    imageallyandpat2010:
    imageljsmith:

My uncle is one of these doctors and he has said he will leave his practice if this passes.  He has a hard enough time collecting from medicare, he doesn't want to get into the same situations with government run healthcare.

Forgive me if I have this wrong, I have not been following this closely as of late, but I thought this bill did NOT include any kind of public option (ie, government run healthcare).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Actually, if you refer back to last weeks USA Today...either Wednesday or Thursday, 5 CEO's of major hospitals were asked for their opinions on the "HealthCare Reform Bill" and 4 of the 5 of them were opposed to the bill as it is currently written.  It really isn't healthcare reform, it is government regulation on insurance coverage that is going to cost taxpayers a lot of money but do nothing that changes the way hospitals are equipped to provide healthcare.  Ant that is where the change really needs to happen.

The bigger problem with the way this bill is being voted on is that the "Deem and Pass" or  "Slaughter Rule" is not consitiutional.  I agree that we need to make changes, but I do not agree with Pres Obama and his statement on Fox News that he is not concerned with the "Process" in which the bill is passed.  WHAT??? isn't that the whole reason for having a House of Representatives, Senate, a President, and a Consitiution  so that a fair Process can be used to ensure that the general american population (and taxpayer base) has a say in what bills are passed???  Just because the Dems have control of the White House and the Senate, they have decided that they can change the ways bills are passed to fit their needs!  That is not why our constitution was written.

• does anyone know of a good site that I can read the healthcare bill on?  I've read snipits, but I really want more information . . 
  • I don't agree with the way they are trying to get it passed. I think Congress should listen to the people they represent and make it something that the American people want. Instead it's full of what Congress thinks is good for the people. Many Americans have voiced concern over this bill but it doesn't seem to matter.

I do NOT support government mandated health care. I believe there should be change, but not this change. I don't have the answers, but I don't think a flawed bill without all the kinks worked out is the right one.

• imageljsmith:

I don't agree with the way they are trying to get it passed. I think Congress should listen to the people they represent and make it something that the American people want. Instead it's full of what Congress thinks is good for the people. Many Americans have voiced concern over this bill but it doesn't seem to matter.

You do realize that Congress is elected to serve as the voice of the people, yes?

You did vote. You voted for your congressmen. Well, hopefully you voted so you're congressmen is representing you. 

• imagesugarbeetsy:
    imageljsmith:

I don't agree with the way they are trying to get it passed. I think Congress should listen to the people they represent and make it something that the American people want. Instead it's full of what Congress thinks is good for the people. Many Americans have voiced concern over this bill but it doesn't seem to matter.

You do realize that Congress is elected to serve as the voice of the people, yes?

You did vote. You voted for your congressmen. Well, hopefully you voted so you're congressmen is representing you. 

I know. And being from Kansas my congressmen voted the way I would have. I just don't think that we have very many ethical politicians in Washington right now. It appears that they are no longer listening to their voters. We shall see when the elections come up in November. 

Like I said I don't disagree with healthcare reform. I just think this bill is very flawed. You don't pass something and then fix it. 

• imagesugarbeetsy:
    imageljsmith:

Our state rep did NOT vote in favor of our state's opinion.

The 30% of doctors leaving may not be factual, but it is not a scare tactic. At the hospital that my DH is going to school at, several of the professors are talking about retiring and have been talking bad about this reform to the students since they started. Getting them prepared for what is fixing to happen. The government will be trying to take control of the prices doctors can charge for procedures since the insurance will only cover so much of it. For instance, a life saving procedure that used to cost $1000, now doctors will only be able to charge let's say $700. Doctors still have to pay all the staff that does any running of the tests, looking at the tests, sampling for the tests, their own malpractice insurance, etc. So, some doctors are choosing to leave now. Second rate prices will get you exactly that: second rate care. Who wants to be accountable for that?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"