2nd Trimester

NBR: Doggy Dental Cleaning

I'm assuming they are different in different areas of the country...but, we were just quoted $225 for our 6 lb yorkie-mix...

Does this seem high? low? normal? 

Also, how often do you do it for your pups? 

Re: NBR: Doggy Dental Cleaning

• My best friend just paid $400 (because there were 6 teeth that had to be extracted).  Without the extractions, it would have been about $300.  Her dog is 8 yo and this is the first time she's had it done.  She's a 10 lb shihtzu poodle mix.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pretty normal pricing IMO.   We don't do professional cleanings, we just brush occasionally and give bones and dental treats.  The vet always says her teeth/gums are in good shape so I don't worry about not getting it done.
  • Loading the player...
  • Still haven't done it, but my vet quoted me about $150 to do my Sheltie. That of course involves putting him under so they can deep clean his gums and get rid of all that gross plaque since the darn thing won't eat bones to help it along! $225 seems a BIT high, but then again, prices may have gone up since I was quoted.
  • imageKSME924:
    pretty normal pricing IMO.   We don't do professional cleanings, we just brush occasionally and give bones and dental treats.  The vet always says her teeth/gums are in good shape so I don't worry about not getting it done.
    This!
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • That would be low for around here.  Smaller dogs need to have it more often than large dogs (which I have).  Some small dogs even need it every year.

ETA: I've only been given a range of how much it will cost because the vet won't know what kind of work needs to be done until your pup is put under.  I get a low range to high range estimate.

• Sounds about average for most private practices.

We pay an arm & a leg for our old man...the only one we get dentals on, but we got the the vet school, which has every bell and whistle know to man, like a people hospital, because A. that is our normal vet, and B. he has almost died on us more than once, and he needs the constant monitoring...so the last time his dental was well over $1000. We call him our million dollar dog, LOL

Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • We have been bad about brushing (he's almost 2 years old) and he didn't like the dental bones...

We're hoping to do this once and take better care of his teeth and maybe do it again in 5 or so years if needed...

I'm scared to put him under for this procedure though :( 

• Standard to maybe a little high in my experience (I've moved around a lot with my dogs).  I'm usually been in the $100-150 range, but more in a couple of places.  We do it whenever it gets recommended.  One of our dogs needs it annually, the other has gone years without, and we do nothing differently for them.  (I hope the dog we just got a few months ago is of the go years variety...)

• Our friend is a vet and never charges us, thank goodness. I get my Maltese's teeth cleaned about every 6 months. His teeth are so bad poor thing. My yorkie mix's teeth are PERFECT and never show a hint of yellow. He is only 2 and has had it done once.
  • For our 2 shelties we usually end up at $500+. they've had them almost every year.
  • I'm too afraid to put my pups under for the procedure. :-( We give them lots of tough chews and stuff like that. They seem to help. Wish I had more info for you!
  • imagezukolivie:
    If you mean a cleaning at the vet, that's pretty cheap.  If you mean at the groomer, yikes!

At the vet...! :) 

• Our vet charges about $600 for a cleaning. 

Just an FYI - When we had our dog spayed we also had her teeth sealed and each week we apply a sealant which has helped tremedously.  We also got her the dental vaccine (prophyrmonas). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yikes, that sounds expensive!

DH and I own the largest independent pet feed and supply store in San Diego, and we've never had our dog's teeth cleaned. In fact, our vet always comments on how great her teeth look. We give her tons of bones and treats, and they seem to keep her teeth incredibly clean and healthy. 

There are these treats called "Greenies" and "flossies" that little dogs seem to love. You could try giving your dog those to keep the plaque buildup to a minimum and spread out the cleanings. Yes

• image0danielle0:

Yikes, that sounds expensive!

DH and I own the largest independent pet feed and supply store in San Diego, and we've never had our dog's teeth cleaned. In fact, our vet always comments on how great her teeth look. We give her tons of bones and treats, and they seem to keep her teeth incredibly clean and healthy. 

There are these treats called "Greenies" and "flossies" that little dogs seem to love. You could try giving your dog those to keep the plaque buildup to a minimum and spread out the cleanings. Yes

I thought greenies were recalled a few years ago, but I could be mistaken.

Yorkies are notorious for bad teeth.  My dog is a rescue dog but we assume he's at least 50% yorkie because of his coloring.  Our vet (a close family friend) recommends that we get our dog's teeth cleaned annually.  My friend's dog just had a mouth full of teeth pulled because of poor hygeine, so I like to be ultra careful. 

• Hi all!  I was just poking around on here and thought I would put my 2 cents in...I am a vet tech and I actually do doggy and kitty dentals...(anesthesia, and the cleaning). The clinic I work at charges around $200-$300 for a routine dental depending on the size of the animal. 

I'm not gonna preach but I noticed someone said they were nervous about the anesthesia part.  You should always interview your vet as far as their protocols go, every place is different.  Bloodwork is always a good idea before hand to make sure there aren't any obvious underlying issues before they go under.  Anesthesia (when monitored and admin correctly) is very safe!  If anyone has questions as far as things to ask I can give some good pointers!  Just send me a message!!

Cool

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecrazyanimals:

Hi all!  I was just poking around on here and thought I would put my 2 cents in...I am a vet tech and I actually do doggy and kitty dentals...(anesthesia, and the cleaning). The clinic I work at charges around $200-$300 for a routine dental depending on the size of the animal. 

I'm not gonna preach but I noticed someone said they were nervous about the anesthesia part.  You should always interview your vet as far as their protocols go, every place is different.  Bloodwork is always a good idea before hand to make sure there aren't any obvious underlying issues before they go under.  Anesthesia (when monitored and admin correctly) is very safe!  If anyone has questions as far as things to ask I can give some good pointers!  Just send me a message!!

Cool

Thanks! I'll do some more research - but, he's a great vet...I'm just as nervous when a family member or friend goes under (and I have a few times myself) -- Frankie is just so little, so it makes me nervous...I have a few other questions - but, I'll put them in a PM for you - thank you! 

• Out here that would be really low. Averages run between 350-600, and can go up drastically from there if any extractions are needed. 

I would suggest (I know it sounds a bit crazy) tooth brushing daily post-dental to help prevent more tartar build-up. A recent article showed that yorkie's were among the breeds most likely to have serious dental disease. As for frequency, as often as needed. Some dogs do great for years while others need dentals yearly. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"