Babies: 3 - 6 Months

*sigh* We CIO

I had been avoiding this for so long.  The thought of hearing my precious baby cry makes my heart break.  I've tried all other "No cry" methods of rocking, swaying, sitting there and patting and soothing her.  She'll sleep for maaaybe 1-2 hours and then wake up hysterical to the point where I just give in and take her into our room to sleep.  But she's so much bigger and more mobile now that it's making our little full-size bed really crowded.  So, I gave in.  We CIO last night.  I went over to my cousin's to hang out and watch a movie while DH took care of it  (Apparently he is immune to her cries!)  I got home around 1:30 a.m. and she had been fast asleep for almost 3 hours.  She had cried for almost 2 hours.  The girl didn't wake up until 7 a.m.  Let's hope tonight is just as successful!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: *sigh* We CIO

• 2 hours of crying???? Please tell me your DH comforted her during that time???
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • ugh...I've had times where my son cries for an hour and a half or so at a time (like my failed attempt at breaking the swaddle habit).

It does get better (of course) but keep in mind there will be times where it gets bad again, and you feel like you're starting over. But if you're consistent it does work.

I just never let him cry for more than 5-10min without me going in to comfort him (since my LO is on the younger end). It can be a lot of work, but sometimes it has to be done.

• imageTraycee1242:
    2 hours of crying???? Please tell me your DH comforted her during that time???

this!

• imageMsAlyss:

imageTraycee1242:

this!

Broken Heart 
    image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageTraycee1242:

IDK, I wasn't there.  But, FWIW in the past when we have gone in to comfort her it seems to do more damage than good.  We've literally taken turns each night dealing with it, constantly going in to comfort for but it doesn't seem to help having us in there.  So whether or not he went in is moot now.  And as much as it sucks to hear the possibility that DH DIDN'T go in keep in mind the reason many don't recommend CIO until 6 months.  That's when they start learning cause and effect and the fact that when they cry mommy or daddy will come to the rescue.  This is why it's not recommended until around this age so they realize they can't have us wrapped around their adorable fingers.

• imagedragon_chica:

imageTraycee1242:

IDK, I wasn't there.  But, FWIW in the past when we have gone in to comfort her it seems to do more damage than good.  We've literally taken turns each night dealing with it, constantly going in to comfort for but it doesn't seem to help having us in there.  So whether or not he went in is moot now.  And as much as it sucks to hear the possibility that DH DIDN'T go in keep in mind the reason many don't recommend CIO until 6 months.  That's when they start learning cause and effect and the fact that when they cry mommy or daddy will come to the rescue.  This is why it's not recommended until around this age so they realize they can't have us wrapped around their adorable fingers.

You say that like an infant **shouldn't** expect his parents to respond to his cries.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh leave her alone, she did what she needed to do. No big deal, I'm sure he is fine and has forgotten all about it. Good for you for doing what you felt was right for your child.
  • imagewigglebee15:

imageGingerBabyJ:
    Oh leave her alone, she did what she needed to do. No big deal, I'm sure he is fine and has forgotten all about it. Good for you for doing what you felt was right for your child.

This!  CIO may not be your style, hell it may not work for me...but it works for her.  At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter...it is her baby, her choices and she is the only one who has to deal with it good or bad.  It is not like she is not caring for her child or putting her in danger.  

Dragon---I hope this helps and she starts sleeping regularly for you!!!! :) 

THIS!!!!! 

• imagedragon_chica:

imageTraycee1242:

I'd much rather my son not think I'm abandoning him during the night... I don't believe for a second that he's manipulating me to "come to the rescue"... although why wouldn't I come to his rescue? He's a baby. He needs comforted.

But to each their own

• imageGingerBabyJ:
    Oh leave her alone, she did what she needed to do. No big deal, I'm sure he is fine and has forgotten all about it. Good for you for doing what you felt was right for your child.

This.  We plan to sleep train soon, if things don't get better.  It's easy for people to judge, but everyone has a different situation.  Kids need to learn to sleep, and it's a great skill to have.  FWIW, my mom did CIO with me, and I don't remember ever having any trust/anxiety issues. 

• imagenmr79:

Kids need to learn to sleep, and it's a great skill to have.  FWIW, my mom did CIO with me, and I don't remember ever having any trust/anxiety issues. 

Same here.

No matter what your opinions are on CIO, every family/baby is different.

To the OP - I hope your LO has turned a corner, and that you all get better sleep tonight.

• Believe me, I held out on even considering CIO.  I tried whatever I could.  I asked for advice on the Bump and friends/relatives IRL.  I let DD lead the way with sleep.  I did. what. I. could.  Am I a proponent of CIO?  Not really?  But, I am a proponent of doing what is best for your child once they are developmentally ready.  And to the pp that doesn't believe a child can manipulate you has smoke up their ass.  When that baby of yours throws a toy on the ground numerous times and you pick it up every time they're learning cause and effect.  When they're banging those pots and making you go crazy they're learning cause and effect.  If you don't believe that at some point babies are capable of that then your life will be truly led and dictated by your child.  Who's the parent then? 

Do what YOU like and what you're comfortable with.  I just hope that your child sleeps better than mine's and you never have to face with the possible decision of having to CIO.

• imagedragon_chica:

Believe me, I held out on even considering CIO.  I tried whatever I could.  I asked for advice on the Bump and friends/relatives IRL.  I let DD lead the way with sleep.  I did. what. I. could.  Am I a proponent of CIO?  Not really?  But, I am a proponent of doing what is best for your child once they are developmentally ready.  And to the pp that doesn't believe a child can manipulate you has smoke up their ass.  When that baby of yours throws a toy on the ground numerous times and you pick it up every time they're learning cause and effect.  When they're banging those pots and making you go crazy they're learning cause and effect.  If you don't believe that at some point babies are capable of that then your life will be truly led and dictated by your child.  Who's the parent then? 

Do what YOU like and what you're comfortable with.  I just hope that your child sleeps better than mine's and you never have to face with the possible decision of having to CIO.

Agree. I love love love 3-6...the return of common sense!!!!
  • I hope CIO works for you. It was hard and it worked wonders for us. We did Ferber, but FWIW friends of ours tried Ferber and it failed miserably. They had to let their kid straight CIO and she was going down without tears in 3 nights.
  • I just find it 'funny' that all but one of your critics on this post have LO's that are younger than yours.

I hope you don't have to resort to CIO for long & find some sleep!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"