Babies: 0 - 3 Months

The ridiculous price of delivering a baby

I can't believe this - but I had a natural childbirth - no IV, no pain relievers, was only in the hospital for 3 hours before she was born and a minimum hospital stay and guess how much the hospital bill was to deliver DD -

$18,000!!!

That's insane. absolutely insane.

I could have flown to europe and delivered her by private doctor in a freaking  CASTLE for that much money.

Thank God for insurance - that's all I can say.

Re: The ridiculous price of delivering a baby

• Love the delivery in the castle idea...
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Wow mine was $8000 before insurance...and I got the epi!
  • Loading the player...
  • I got the bill from my hospital less than two weeks after DS was born.  They gave me ten days to pay it.  I haven't even gotten the statement from my insurance company yet!  Hospitals are ruthless.
  • My bills (C-section and 3 night stay) are over $12,000 right now....and still coming!

Thankfully I have fantastic insurance!

• Agreed. I was induced because of pre-e and it was 50K. DS was in the NICU and his stay was 60K.
    MC 4/09 at 6w2d 
    Rainbow Jude 
    born: 12/31/09
    Pre-E Induction at 36w4d
    11 Day NICU stay due to GBS infection

TTC#2 10/2010
    M/C: 4/09/11 5w
    CP: 12/26/2011 
    CP: 1/28/2012 
    MMC: 4/16/2012 at 11w2d 
    Ectopic: 6/25/2012 MTX 07/03/12
    CP 11/24/2012 
    Rainbow Violet 
    born: 9/11/13

All ALers welcome! 
  • My bill was $27k (vaginal delivery with pit and epi). And my son's bill was $3k.
  • $18 grand? That's nothing. Try $90,328.68. I don't think all of the bills have come in yet, either.
  • I haven't even seen a bill.  My insurance rocks.
  • Yep, right there with you.  I got so many separate bills that I can't even add them all up.  But I know it's in the $10-20k range.
  • ...alright, since everyone else is doing it.  Hank is my million dollar baby... over half a million in the NICU for his stay, then add all the doc consults, both of our surgeries, and other misc. expenses...  I made him a onesie that says "Million Dollar Baby"
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My vaginal delivery with epi was $17,000.  It is insane!
  • Mine was over $40,000. I had an epi and two night stay.
  • Reading this makes me glad to be Canadian. I paid 80 for a private room for two nights.

• Mine was 9k with the epi. My insurance covered all of it. That right there is why I won't go on DH's insurance until we are done making babies.
  • Good grief!  I guess hospital prices are influenced by cost of living?  I'm in DFW and it was $5600 - vag w/ an epi.  But I only paid $150 cause I have rockin' insurance.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• imageWithoutMelissa:

I can't believe this - but I had a natural childbirth - no IV, no pain relievers, was only in the hospital for 3 hours before she was born and a minimum hospital stay and guess how much the hospital bill was to deliver DD -

$18,000!!!

That's insane. absolutely insane.

?I could have flown to europe and delivered her by private doctor in a freaking? CASTLE for that much money.

?Thank God for insurance - that's all I can say.

?

Yeah, but insurance is the reason that the costs are so out of control. ? Hospitals jack up the costs. ? My hospital fees include $12 for self-administered medications (one tylenol and one stool softener). ?I could have bought bottles of that stuff for under $10. ?And you know a hospital is not paying retail for tylenol and stool softeners.

My mom is a registered nurse who also worked in insurance for a while. ?She knows how to read hospital bills to check for errors. ? When my younger brother was born, she itemized her bill, and found that she was billed for ?a lot of ?heavy duty meds. ? She knew that one of two things happened: they either incorrectly administered narcotics to my baby brother and then covered it up, or they billed for things that weren't administered. ?In all likelihood, the hospital probably gave those drugs to someone who couldn't pay, and then billed her insurance to cover the costs, or someone at the hospital stole those meds.

When I was born, the hospital billed the insurance for a circumcision. My mom had to fight with them to take it off the bill! ?

Insurance is a mixed blessing. ?It's no longer being used as originally intended. ?It's out of control. ?To get a dependent on my insurance, it would cost roughly $500/month. ? Ridiculous. ??

?

"Cool as Hell like e-mail, but still timeless like a letter."
  • imageEnigma11:
    Reading this makes me glad to be Canadian. I paid 80 for a private room for two nights.

I got ripped off then.  I paid $360 for three nights in a private room...but my insurance covered it :)

• eeeep makes me feel blessed that I had an uncomplicated pregnancy and a homebirth (without having to go to the hospital, which I know could have been a possibility and would have if I needed to).

$2300 for all of my prenatals, delivery and postnatals + 75 for the tub rental and $20 for other supplies for the homebirth

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"