3rd Trimester

Clicky Poll: Delivery Room??

So I KNOW DH will obviously be there... and I've decided to have my mom in there (not sure if we'll ask her to leave for the actual pushing or not- since that is something DH and I would like to be just the two of us).... but we can have one other person in the room with us.

We won't be able to have any visitors OTHER than DH and these 2 other people (my mom and one other if I should so choose) until ~2-3 hours after the baby is born and we're moved to our room.  So that's a long wait for a lot of people.....

Among those considered: 

1) Just me, DH and my mom (with her leaving when pushing)

2) me, DH, my mom, and my MIL (with both leaving when pushing)

3) me, DH, my mom, and my BFF (with both leaving when pushing)

[Poll]
Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: Clicky Poll: Delivery Room??

• Me, DH & our daughter. 
  • I put just my DH and I... BUT that is just during pushing.  Anyone who wants to visit me in the hospital while I'm laboring is welcome as long as I'm not being checked by the doctor or pushing.  :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Dh for sure will be there, My mom will as well and my Sister. I was present at all her 3 childrens birth and thought it was amazing that she let me be apart of it. I couldn't imagin her not being there at my childs birth. They all will be present while pushing/delivery!
  • I plan on just having my DH in the delivery room.  I don't have a MIL, but I think if you have your mom in there I am guessing your MIL would be upset because she couldn't be too. 

If you want to avoid hurt feelings, I would just vote you and DH.  

If you want to make everyone happy, I would have your mom and MIL in there too...but it is your choice and only my observation.

Good luck!!

Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• Me, DH, my Mom and our doula
  • If my husband makes it home from Iraq in time, it will be just us.  If he doesn't, it will probably be my mom and MIL.  I'm a big baby and don't want to do it alone!
  • I voted my mom & DH. I would NOT be comfortable with my MIL there.

I wouldn't mind having my SIL or BFF (who is like a sister), but I don't want both of them, and I don't want to choose between them. They'll come in during early labor before things get crazy and then after he's born.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Me, DH and the doula.  No one else helped us make the baby so no one needs to be there in my opinion.  Also, I don't think 2-3 hours after delivery is too long.  I don't plan to have any hospital visitors til several hours after I deliver and maybe the following day depending on when the baby actually arrives. 
  • I put DH, Mom & Me but only b/c my mom is an OB and will scrub in. I'm assuming that if they let her deliver me, it will be just us. If they don't, then she will act more like a doula.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Me, hubby, my mom, and daughter.  My daughter is pretty adamant that she doesn't want to be there for the pushing, but I'm hoping to change her mind.  I don't really get the whole "just me and DH" thinking.  For pete's sake, the room will be full of medical staff too, so it's not like it's all that personal.  But there again, I have a great relationship with my mom. 
  • Me, DH and Doula.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My husband will definitely be in the room as I deliver.  My Mom I'd like to be there, she has been in the room for 15 births, but she's a flight attendant and we don't know if she can be  there.

Everyone else can wait.

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My mom is staying during the pushing unless she just really starts to bother me lol. We are allowed 3 visitors the entire time, but we have passes so people can switch out to come back & see me. My husband & both my parents smoke, so I'm sure they will be going across the street every so often anyway.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I will have DH and my mom there the whole time.
  • imageAvidVertigo:

I plan on just having my DH in the delivery room.  I don't have a MIL, but I think if you have your mom in there I am guessing your MIL would be upset because she couldn't be too. 

Totally disagree.  My mom birthed me and is my MOM, not my MIL.  I LOVE my MIL but she has zero reason to be in the room when I'm pushing/delivering.  My MIL would never expect to be allowed in anyways.

I didn't respond to the poll because I'm not sure if we're going to have my mom in there with us or not.  She's traveling from far away, so if she makes it in time for the delivery, I think she would really appreciate being allowed in.  No one else though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just found out that we can have 5 ppl (including DH) in the room prior to pushing & 3 ppl (including DH) in the room while pushing.  Right now, DH & my mom are the only ones that will be in there.

I'm thinking I might OK my dad to come in for a bit to hang out & keep mom & DH company but he'll be kicked out before pushing starts!

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • DH and my mom will be there with me, for labor and delivery.

Our hospital only allows two support persons. It does end up being two or three hours before everyone else gets to join us, as our hospital gives us an hour alone with the baby in the L&D room before moving us to our recovery room, where we can have visitors. I'm pretty sure visitors can see the baby in the nursery as she gets cleaned, but they won't be able to hold her until she's brought to our room. (I vaguely remember DH taking my in-laws to see DD in the nursery while I was being wheeled to my recovery room, but that part was a bit of a blur. lol.)

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • I dont have many(any) options on this one. My mom is coming out for an entire month to be with us and will be the only family that is capable of being there before LO comes. As long as she stays at my head (same conditions I have applied to DH) I am fine with her being there even during pushing.
  • DH and one of our best friends, who is a nurse
    Blythe, born 6/5/10, and Oscar the dog (not pictured), adopted 11/16/07
  • DH and Sister (who is an ER doc).  I'm not sure I would be comfortable with anyone else there. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • When DD was born, I had DH and my mom with me through L&D. I was induced with pit, but had no other drugs so I needed the support in labor. My mom is an L&D nurse and she was super helpful, especially during pushing when DH started to lose some color in his face ;)

This time, I hope to have my mom and DH again with me. My mom lives 2.5 hours away though and won't be coming down in advance unless I end up having to be induced again. Hopefully she will make it down in time to help me through the labor again.

• In a perfect world my son,hubby,my sons babysitter for him only,maybe my mother in law.
  • DH and maybe my mom during the actual pushing.  I saw what a circus it was during my sister's first delivery, and there is no way I'm having that many people in and out of the room.  If I'm there for a few hours without much going on and the hospital allows it, my dad and the in laws can come in to visit for a bit.

• I'm planning a home birth, so i'll have DH, the midwife and her assistant, and my daughter will be around the house wherever she wants to be. I also want to include my best friend as support for DH and DD, but DH and i are currently discussing that one.
  • This time it will be just me and DH.  For my daughter, it was DH, my Mom and my Dad, and they were there for the whole thing  It was not planned for my Dad to be there for the pushing part, but things happened rather quickly.  DD was posterior (face up instead of face down) so I wasn't dialating, even though I was having steady contractions..  Once they got her to flip, I was all of a sudden at 10 and had the urge to push and he didn't have time to get out of the room.  He just stayed up by my head, so I was fine with that.  In all honesty, while I was pushing, the entire United Nations could have been in the room with me and I wouldn't have noticed or cared...I just wanted them to get the baby out! 

The reason it is only me and DH this time is simply because my Mom and Dad will be watching DD...she is not quite 3 yet (will be 3 in June), so while she can visit me during the early stage of labor, she is too little to be in there for very long.  

• I had a planned homebirth so we had no limitations only what we chose for our birth. So it was my husband, mom, mil, midwife & assistant, sister and 3 sister-in-laws. It was awesome to have them all there and for them to have a special bond right away with us and the baby. What a wonderful experience!!
  • We would like to have our closest friends there for most of the laboring to give me some fun distractions and help me forget about the pain or just be more pleasant during the contractions...:)  Our families don't live close to be there and we're pretty close with our friends who will be our baby's Godparents.  So that's the plan, we'll see how it actually goes on the big day.  :)
  • It will be me, DH, and the two fathers of the baby. (I'm a surrogate.) :)
  • My husband and sister were in for the other two and that is the plan with this one.   My mom is not a calm person and I don't think I could handle her in there.  She also will be watching our other two kids so she plays an important role anyway. 
  • **special snowflake (explain below)

Since I have to have a c-section, I will be experiencing it all alone. My husband will be busy keeping our 5-year-old daughter occupied in the waiting room.

• I would like two people in the room.. I didn't want to make the non-chosen mom (my mom or mom-in-law) feel bad, so I am starting a new tradition... I'll have my husband and the godmother of the child in the room. I was a bit worried what the future prospective godmoms would think (grossed out, felt obligated), so I had to ask all 4 possible gm's if they would even be interested in that. My mom would have been too hyper through it all anyway, so I think it will work out for the best! She did claim the back-up role in case anything happens, just like she has for every doctor appointment I've had so far:)

We have an enormous family ALL locally, so we'll be packing the waiting room at the hospital when little one comes. The hospital and dr. have been really accomodating to visitors with my brother's kids in the past, so everyone getting to see baby once she arrives is a non-issue for us. After my SIL's c-sections we had 10 people in the recovery room at a time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I really dont want anyone else there besides my husband. Even after the baby's birth I just wanted to be lone with the baby for a little bit. I know my husbands family rushes to the hospital though when they hear labor started like they did for my SIL/BIL :(
  • It will just be me and DH.  We're only allowed 2 peeps during L&D.  We decided that the only person who could handle being in the room (without getting on our nerves) is my sister, but I think she'll need to be in the waiting room to calm my Mom!  I think that a few hours of alone time with baby before others can see the baby is a blessing - it gives bonding time before others start grabbing! 
  • For my son's birth I had my husband, my mom and my dad!  I know it sounds weird and it wasn't actually the original plan, but it just kind of happened!  He came after I had my epidural (don't think he would have stuck around if he had seen the pain I had been in before) and the rest happened pretty quickly so he ended up staying through the delivery. 

It was actually very special:  my son was the first grandbaby and he's also named after my dad!  I never would have planned to have him there, but I'm really glad I did!

On a sidenote, if you have someone besides your DH there, they can be in charge of snapping pictures so that DH can just be there with you and the baby!  We have incredible pictures because of that!

For this baby I'll be having my DH and mom again, and my MIL, if she can make it in time (my dad will be watching my son, who is his best bud!).  I've found I really appreciate having the support of my loved ones there with me, and it's also an incredible once-in-a-lifetime gift to give to those closest to you.

There were about 5 nurses and 2 doctors in there when I delivered too (I had some complications) so it was sure a full house!  I was pretty much oblivious to all the commotion though!

• Will be just me and DH.  May invite my mom and MIL but I also have a step mom and only 3 people are allowed in room.  To avoid hurt feelings, we think it's best for just the 2 of us.
  • It will be just me and my DH.  My family doesn't live near us and I'm not comfortable with his family being in the room.  They aren't getting into my room until I say so and that could be hours after our little girl is born.  But I figure I'm the patient so it's my call.  When they are the patient they can make those choices.  It may be a little bi*chy of me but oh well, they'll wait until I'm okay with them being in the room or they'll see her once we take her home.
  • This is our first baby so my husband and I both agree, just the two of us. To be honest, I'm just telling everyone that we don't want anyone in the room at all while I'm in labor. If I change my mind when the time comes, then I have that option... but for now, it's just us so no one's feelings get hurt. I want this whole process to be as easy as possible on the both of us.
  • Me, husband, daughter, and maybe my mom. Mom would probably leave for the main event, but we want our daughter to be there for the birth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"