3rd Trimester

Rib / upper back pain...anyone else?

Ok...so I know I've posted a lot today, but I promise this is the last one.  Embarrassed

I have had fairly severe right rib and right upper back pain for about four weeks now.  It feels as if the pain is starting in my right ribcage and radiating through to my back right underneath my right shoulder blade.  I am carrying LO really high and she is constantly kicking me in the rib area, so I am ASSUMING that this has something to do with it.  Have any of you experienced this and what did you do to ease the pain? 

The only thing I've found so far is if I put pressure on my back where it hurts, the whole thing seems to feel better, so at work I sit with a small blanket balled up behind me right underneath my shoulder blade.  It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.  (Sorry so long)  TIA! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rib / upper back pain...anyone else?

• I have had that too....and sometimes my left ribhurts too. I am going to ask Thursday at my appointment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have the same type of pain as your describing and the only thing I've found to relieve it has been back rubs in that area of my back.
  • Loading the player...
  • I literally feel your pain.

I've had the rib/back pain since Week 20.  The only thing that seems to help a bit is if I put pressure on my back or rib.  I do some stretches with my arms over my head which helps.  I have noticed after I eat a meal my right rib gets incredibly sore. 

I have talked to my Midwife about this numerous times and she says there is nothing I can do, just have to deal with it for a while.  Awesome...  ;)

Best of luck!

• imagejmarie17:

I literally feel your pain.

I've had the rib/back pain since Week 20.  The only thing that seems to help a bit is if I put pressure on my back or rib.  I do some stretches with my arms over my head which helps.  I have noticed after I eat a meal my right rib gets incredibly sore. 

I have talked to my Midwife about this numerous times and she says there is nothing I can do, just have to deal with it for a while.  Awesome...  ;)

Best of luck!

Oh this sounds EXACTLY right!  Did she say what it could be from?

• I just started with this today. Thankfully I have an apt tomorrow anyway so I don't have to wait TOO long to find out! I work in the ER so the first thing I thought of is gallstones since a lot of people present with Right Upper Quadrant pain and pain inbetween their shoulders! I DOUBT thats what it is, I think the baby is just sitting up higher today but still, it sucks!
    Ryleigh Kate Due May 23, 2010, Born June 2, 2010 - 9lbs 1oz 21 3/4inches Induced due to being overdue, labored 36 hours start to finish Coraline Marie Due February 23, 2012 Born March 1,2010 8lbs 10oz 21.5 inches Induced due to being overdue, worried about size of baby due to big sister being a monster. Born via emergency c-section after having heart decels down into the 60's. Our Blog
  • Ugh, it is horrible.  I feel bad that you are going through this.  :(

I am also carrying quite high.  She assumes that because everything is pushed up high the ribs are slowly expanding (maybe we have smaller rib cages?).  She said as the baby drops the pressure will be taken away.  So who knows when this will happen...

Let me know if you find any helpful remedies!  I will do the same!  :)

• I feel your pain, literally.  It is horrible and I've been dealing with it for probably 6 weeks now.  I've been doing some back stretches (yoga-like poses) where I am down on all fours and arch my back.  This helps move the LO down and helps relieve my pain for a little while.  I am hoping he drops soon so I can get rid of this, although then I'll have to deal with pelvic pain!  LOL!
  • i went to the massage therapist about this... she said it is from 2 things.  1. is the fact that the baby has pushed every up into my ribs (ie. stomach, lungs, etc.)  There is just less space.

The other thing she said is that your back is prepping for the weight gain by adjusting your spine- which is part of the pain.

my pain is right where my bra strap is- so i thought that was what it was from... but going without doesn't help...   not sure I want to do 10 more weeks of this!

• Thanks so much ladies!  I'm going to talk to my doc about this at my next appointment, but its really nice to know that its fairly common.  I find it facinating that we all have the pain in like the EXACT same area!  GL to all of you and if I find anything that realy works I'll definitely keep you updated, cuz this is miserable! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"