Infertility

Dominant follicle during IVF?

For reference,  after 2 days of stims I had 2 follicles at 11 and 10 mm. My RE seemed discouraged about this. After 4 days of stims, I had 1 at 16, 1 at 15, 1 at 13, 1 at 10, 1 at 9, and 6 at 6mm. My FSH is 10.9, AFC is 10, and my age is 28.

No RE has said this to me so this could definitely be me over-analyzing everything (and potentially incorrectly - forgive me), but I think my issue is that I get a dominant follicle very early in the cycle. In this case it's 2 dominant follicles, I guess, and this isn't this a negative thing in an IVF cycle? It's also something that typically happens to poor responders, right?

Overall I'm honestly not stressed about this (today at least, ha!) since I am hoping the ganirelix does its job, and the gap between the different sized follicles seems smaller today. I'm just trying to understand my body and how this IVF process works with it.

Anyone experience this? Did the Ganirelix help?

We are adopting! Currently waiting for our domestic infant adoption match.

My blog: Making Me Mom

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Re: Dominant follicle during IVF?

• My RE didn't seem to be concerned about 'dominant' follicles at all.  Up until day 8-9 follicle checks, all they did was look at them, measure a couple, and count.  I think you still have plenty of time for others to catch up, and the Ganirelix will help prevent your body from starting the ovulation process prematurely.

To me, it looks like you are on track.  I hope that my rambling helped you a little bit even though I realize I didn't really answer your questions.

• imageiujess:

My RE didn't seem to be concerned about 'dominant' follicles at all.  Up until day 8-9 follicle checks, all they did was look at them, measure a couple, and count.  I think you still have plenty of time for others to catch up, and the Ganirelix will help prevent your body from starting the ovulation process prematurely.

To me, it looks like you are on track.  I hope that my rambling helped you a little bit even though I realize I didn't really answer your questions.

You helped a lot! Thanks for entertaining my own rambling ideas :)

• Loading the player...
  • good!  Are you doing ICSI?  We are dealing with MFI as well and did it.  I hope the rest of your cycle goes well and that you get your BFP very soon!
  • imageiujess:
    good!  Are you doing ICSI?  We are dealing with MFI as well and did it.  I hope the rest of your cycle goes well and that you get your BFP very soon!

Yes, we're definitely doing ICSI. Thanks for the help and well wishes!!

• So, the concern about a dominant follicle in an IVF cycle is that it supresses other follies from growing.  I had a dominant follie this cycle, I produced 5 measurable follies and I was told I'd only have 3-4 eggs.  I ended up having 9 eggs retrieved today, but if I didn't have that dominant follie, I would have produced alot more.

I didn't use garinelix, I was on follistim and lupron. 

Just remember, you only need 1!

Good luck!

Clomid x 2 cycles ..... BFN. 6/08 Gonal F with TI- BFN. 7/08 Gonal F #2 - IUI 7/11, BFN. 9/22/08 IUI #2 and Accupuncture - Chemical Pregnancy. 11/08 IUI #3 with accupuncture - BFN. 12/08 IUI #4 BFN. 5/09 IVF #1 ER 7/6/09, ET 7/9/09 - BFN. FET 12/18/09 - BFN IVF #2 -ER 3/6, ET 3/9, OMG - BFP!!! Beta #1 3/22 -332, Beta #2 3/24 - 701, Beta #3 - 14,889 - 1st u/s - TWINS!! SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME!!! ***Why can't 88 million sperm and 3 eggs find each other in an organ the size of a pear??*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins--not through strength but by perseverance. - H. Jackson Brown
  • imageShelley-Bean:

So, the concern about a dominant follicle in an IVF cycle is that it supresses other follies from growing.  I had a dominant follie this cycle, I produced 5 measurable follies and I was told I'd only have 3-4 eggs.  I ended up having 9 eggs retrieved today, but if I didn't have that dominant follie, I would have produced alot more.

I didn't use garinelix, I was on follistim and lupron. 

Just remember, you only need 1!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, and congrats on your 9 eggs! :)

• I think that is why they use estrogen priming for poor responders--so they don't get a dominant follicle that takes off before the others catch up. I think you follicle sizes are close enough together that you don't need to worry. My largest follicle was around 16 too when I started the ganirelix. It did give the other follicles time to catch up.

Good luck!!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i had this issue almost every cycle i used cetrotide (ganirelix).  i found that the long lupron prevented me from getting a runaway follicle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The ganirelex will help with this.  I had 2 that were larger in the end and we ignored them and he triggered me when the majority were the size he wanted.
    Feb 2010 - IVF #1 BFP, miscarriage with D&C April 2010 - IVF #2 BFN June 2010 - IVF #3 BFP, Baby girl born March 2011 Oct 2011 - Natural BFP, D&C Dec Jan 2012 - back to RE
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"