Babies: 0 - 3 Months

What is STTN officially?

My LO is sleeping 6 - 6 and 1/2 hours over night. But because during the day she is going 4 hours between meals, when "night" begins is constantly changing.

eg. one night it might be 9pm the next it might be 11pm.

So if she goes to sleep at 9pm, she wakes at 3am. To me this isn't STTN because to my mind at 3am the night is not close to being over. But if the next night she sleeps 11-5am then I can see how that is STTN.

I understood that sleeping 6 hours was considered STTN.

So is it a length of hours? or a timeframe? Something else?

Thanks 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: What is STTN officially?

• ibisibis member
    It's length of hours - your LO is STTN... lucky!!
  • My dh read that as long as your baby is sleeping through the hours of 12am to 5am that's considered sttn.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is the same way-he goes to bed at a different time every night. Even though we schedule his meals every 2 hours during the day because of his reflux, he still doesn't keep a consistent bedtime. He falls asleep for the night anytime between 7pm-10pm and stays asleep anywhere from 7-12 hours straight, so I consider that STTN.
  • lol @ "officially"
  • Technically it's number of hours and most professionals consider 5 hours to be the magic number.

I personally think that's nuts and I only consider STTN for DS when he sleeps through the majority of what I consider night.

According to my pedi, DS has slept through the night every night since week 4.  According to me, he's STTN 4 times ever.

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • imagelittlemaybaby:

Technically it's number of hours and most professionals consider 5 hours to be the magic number.

I personally think that's nuts and I only consider STTN for DS when he sleeps through the majority of what I consider night.

According to my pedi, DS has slept through the night every night since week 4.  According to me, he's STTN 4 times ever.

See that's weird, since my DS has been sleeping 5 hour stretches since 3 days old and I personally never considered it STTN (especially since it was from 7pm-12am initially). My pedi told me that most babies don't have the ability to STTN until at a minimum of 6 weeks old (which she considered 7+ hours). I've read books that say a baby can sleep 5 hour streches in the first month but most people don't say that their 3 day old is STTN, even if he/she sleeps 5 hours straight.

• Going by hours is rediculous IMO because then "night" at 3weeks was 2pm-8pm...BULL!!

Now we still have some daytime stretches that hit 5-6hrs but we also have some success at night, 11pm-5:45am a few times which I will totally say is STTN because both times are good sleep and waking times.

Heck I'm still excited when she goes down at 10pm, sleeps until 4am and then sleeps again until 8am...Only waking up once is very nice...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"