2nd Trimester

Anyone still drinking coffee/caffeine?

Pre-preg, I was a big coffee drinker, averaging 3 or 4 regular cups per day. During the first tri, I cut back to one cup a day, as my doctor said I should cut back but didn't necessarily have to quit altogether. I had every intention of being completely coffee-free by at least the halfway mark! However, I find that I'm still having withdrawal headaches months after cutting back, and on particularly bad days, I have another cup in the afternoon just to get through the work-day. I rarely drink any caffeine outside of coffee, but I do love strong coffee.

I really wouldn't think much of it, but the further along I get, the more "dirty looks" I get from coworkers and even strangers when I drink a cup of coffee.... Anyone else still drinking coffee this far along, and do you worry about it or feel guilty at all?

Re: Anyone still drinking coffee/caffeine?

• LCB34LCB34 member

I am still having my morning cup of coffee!  I will keep it up until I deliver.  My doctor is fine with it.

• Still totally drinking caffeine -- a cup of coffee every morning and a can of diet mountain dew every afternoon.  I don't feel guilty about it at all and a lot of my pregnant friends kept up their very high caffeine addictions. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I do- I drink 2 cups a day. If I catch someone giving me a dirty look I give them one right back. Or if they are really luicky
    I snap at them and ask if they are an OB and would like to give me some advice.

My doc said 1-2 cups a day is fine.

• i had two diet pepsi's with lunch today because I hadn't felt LO move all day and I was getting anxious :)  caffeine is fine in moderation...tell your coworkers to back off (besides, how do they know its not decaf!?)
  • I do. But only when LO is awake. I drank it until LO started kicking me and now I feel bad when it's sleeping. So I only drink it when my baby is already awake... which is a lot less than I used to do. LOL I want it to be able to get it's rest. :)
  • *hiccup*  excuse me, I just drank a glass of diet cherry dr pepper.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have 1-2 cups of half caff a day
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just keep it under 200mg.  You'll be surprised how much caffeine that actually is =)
  • I still drink it. no more than 2 cups a day but that's about the same as pre pg for me.

I think the evil looks are going to increase as our bellies keep growing and it becomes more obvious that we are pregnant. The more pg you look, the more evil looks you'll get. And unwanted comments/advice. 

Siggy Deleted Due to Internet Stalking. Mama to Q, born July 2010
  • F those people!!!

I think 1-2 cups of coffee are fine. My first pregnancy I had a huge black tea in the morning and a 20oz. coke at 3pm...everyday. It was the only way to make it through my day when I was working. Now that I am a SAHM, I skip the afternoon caffine buzz for a nice nap.

If you feel fine and your Dr is OK with moderate use then enjoy the coffee...

• Yes, still having 1-2 cups per day and I too love it strong. Haven't seen anyone giving me the stink eye yet but look out if they do before I consume that 1st cup.
  • imageCassie730:
    My doc says 200-300mg a day is fine so that's what I have. People really can shove it with the dirty looks. It's coffee not cocaine, come on.

This, exactly!

I eliminated drinking it at night so I can drink more in the morning.  When I go to Starbucks I do half caf b/c their coffee has more caffeine.

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i will have soda with caffeine maybe 2-3 times a week, closer to 1-2. i definitely think this is one of those in moderation it's fine things. my dr has no issue with the amount i am consuming, and actually recommended me drinking caffeinated beverages to help relieve tension headaches.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Sure do.  I am a firm believer in the "everything is fine in moderation" rule.  (Except things like drugs of course, I'm not an idiot.)
  • My OB said it's fine to have some caffeine especially if you are getting headaches, which I do.  I try to keep it to one or two cokes a week and not go crazy.  It tastes better than it ever did though and I have never wanted Mountain Dew/Dr. Pepper/Sunkist more in my life!  And I am not a soda drinker pre-pregnancy, but this baby must love it!
  • Mmmm...just finished an ice cold Diet Coke with lunch!
  • I used to drink 2-3 cans of diet coke a day and a few iced coffees a week.  I've cut back to a can of diet coke a day, and I've switched to decaf iced coffee for the most part (I'll still treat myself to a regular iced coffee once in a while)

I don't feel guilty about the caffeine at all, as long as I'm keeping it under 300 mg a day!!  I feel guiltier about all the candy and McDonalds I'm eating!!! 

• imageamandydean:

Pre-preg, I was a big coffee drinker, averaging 3 or 4 regular cups per day. During the first tri, I cut back to one cup a day, as my doctor said I should cut back but didn't necessarily have to quit altogether. I had every intention of being completely coffee-free by at least the halfway mark! However, I find that I'm still having withdrawal headaches months after cutting back, and on particularly bad days, I have another cup in the afternoon just to get through the work-day. I rarely drink any caffeine outside of coffee, but I do love strong coffee.

I really wouldn't think much of it, but the further along I get, the more "dirty looks" I get from coworkers and even strangers when I drink a cup of coffee.... Anyone else still drinking coffee this far along, and do you worry about it or feel guilty at all?

When ppl give you a dirty look, tell them you're just using your coffee to ward off your severe hangover from last night.

It's none of their business, and I'm so pissy lately that I'd probably tell them to eat a wang.  :)

But seriously, yes, I have a 16 oz bottle of diet coke every day, and if I went out and wanted more (I only buy enough to have 1 bottle each day at home), I would have another can. 

• I drink it every day
  • I am having a cup of coffe every day as well.  Starbucks baby - tall black with a couple of ice cubes!  :)
  • I'll on occasion have a caffeinated drink. But I think it'd fine to have one a day.  My Dr. told me about one of her patients that refused to give up her 6 Dr. Peppers a day and she has had 3 healthy babies.
  • I didn't drink coffee or soda before pregnancy so it hasnt' been a big deal for me.  I did start brewing decaff iced tea which I have to drink to prevent iron absorbtion (genetic disorder...and you believed the myth that there wasn't too much of a good thing...)  But I still eat dark chocolate almost every day and it's loaded with caffiene ounce for ounce.  My doctor said it was Ok in moderation.  I think a few pieces of chocolate are fine.
  • Don't feel guilty. All the dr's I've had have said it's fine in moderation (one drink or so a day) all the way through, and that's what I've done/been doing wtih each pregnancy.

I have an iced coffee every morning and/or a caffeinated pop for lunch or dinner. 

You need to just ignore your co-workers. If you took to heart everything someone else said or thought about your pregnancy or how you raise or child or anything else in your life for that matter, it would be crazy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I drink 1 cup a day - sometimes I'll throw in a Dr Pepper with some chocolates.  I also drank 1 cup a day too with my son.  I need the caffeine especially now with a very active toddler. 
  • I have about 8 oz a week. I don't drink it in public, so I don't have to worry about what other people think. I also don't think it is doing harm to the baby. They say if you are planning on drinking it while BF, it may be better to get the kid somewhat used to it in utero. 

• yeah i still have a little caffine, i quit during the first tri, and i had the worst headaches ive ever felt. so my dr said ut would be fine to have a little bit.
  • I still have my morning cup of tea and the occasional can of Coke.  No guilt here, I'm still way under the 200 mg reccomendation.
  • I've had the opposite reaction.  When I tell people at work I'm trying to cut back on caffeine, they all act like I'm way overreacting and it's not a big deal.  Which is kind of annoying too.
  • yup same for me, I'll have some sort of small amount of caffeine per day.
  • i still have a coffee a day & even sometimes a soda too. Id love to give those ppl a?piece?of my mind - not to mention how do they not know youre drinking decaf or hot cocoa FFS?!
  • Quoting Vegandy:  

vegandy

-->
    -->
    Just keep it under 200mg.  You'll be surprised how much caffeine that is

EXACTLY! And that's something most people (the ones giving the dirty looks) dont realize!

Ive always suffered from migraines and had to go off my medication for pregnancy. My OB says take tylenol and drink caffiene. SO DRS ORDERS PEOPLE!!! Wink

• I cut out coffee completely. I didn't want the baby's heart rate to go crazy.

I went without soda for about 2 months and finally caved in, however I caved in to Pepsi Caffiene Free :)

• I have a cup of black tea every single morning of my life. And I will have a Coke or something later once or twice a week. When I told my mom that I was trying to limit my tea to the one cup she literally LAUGHED and said I'd probably faint if I knew how much tea she drank when pregnant.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • I have never really drank coffee and don't drink a lot of pop. But when DH gets a big fountain pop somewhere, I can't resist!
    image image

• one cup of coffee a day.  I switched to sprite which has no caffeine when I am in the mood for soda.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"