2nd Trimester

grad school?

Is anyone else looking at grad school right now? My BA degree is kinda theory based and I planned on grad school anyway...I'm thinking getting the GRE book tomorrow to start studying and then looking at grad school.

Any mommies or mommies-to-be in grad school? 

Re: grad school?

• I graduate with a Masters in Finance in May!

I'm glad I'll be done just about a month before B.P gets here.  It is perfect timing.

• I'm in grad school right now. I have my Masters degree already, but I'm finishing up some classes so I can sit for my licensing exam. I am taking 3 right now, and unfortunately, I have to take 2 over the summer, after LO is born. It is going to be tough, but thankfully my professors broadcast their lectures live online, with interactive chat so I can ask/respond to questions, and I don't have to worry about leaving LO for hours at a time. 

It sounds like your LO will be a little older (than 1 month old) when you start school, so hopefully it will be easier for you. Good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • I went to grad school and graduated a few months before I got married.  

I can't imagine going now, with a baby (well, TWO babies soon.)  You can certainly take it slow, doing maybe one or two classes a semester.  

Do you plan on working or will you be a SAHM?  If your plan is to stay at home, you may have more time to do your homework, etc. (I mean because you'll be with your babies all day, not because SAHM is easier then working! I could never work all day and then go home and do homework... I just want to cuddle with my baby who I haven't seen all day, know what I mean!?!)

Food for thought.  Good luck, whatever you decide.  I am certainly glad that I have my MS degree now that it's done, lol. 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• I'm waiting for acceptance or rejection letters from PhD programs right now.  It is driving me BATTY.  I have my MA in English, and the PhD will be in literature, as well. 

I'm a little frazzled--my EDD is July 4, and we'll then move across the country to wherever school accepts me to start the program in late August.  Crazy.  But also really exciting.

Good luck!!

J15 Dec Siggy Challenge: Awkward Christmas Photos

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Fur Baby

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• I'm nervous about going back with a baby. But, I was thinking of exclusively going to school and staying at home with baby. Details still to be worked out, but hopefully with SO working and loans to supplement a tiny bit, it'd be doable. On the upside, no daycare!
  • imageopheliacantswim:

I'm waiting for acceptance or rejection letters from PhD programs right now.  It is driving me BATTY.  I have my MA in English, and the PhD will be in literature, as well. 

I'm a little frazzled--my EDD is July 4, and we'll then move across the country to wherever school accepts me to start the program in late August.  Crazy.  But also really exciting.

Good luck!!

wow! That takes some guts. Good luck! And thanks for sharing...helps me not to feel so overwhelmed to know that other people are doing it. :) (and of course they are). 

• I'm taking my last 2 classes now, I'll be done in May.  I had my first DS while working on my BA, it was hard but so worth it! I found the on campus day care the BEST we've ever had!  The price was right and the caregivers were AMAZING!
  • I hope to start working on my Masters in August. I wanted to get settled with the baby and into our new home before I started. I can't wait!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm almost 21 weeks and currently in my 3rd year of a PhD program with at least 2 more years to go. The final 2 years will be working on my dissertation and then doing my pre-doc internship, so I have at least a year in which I'll be able to work from home. That said, two women in my program were moms when we started (one w/a 3 month old, the other with 2 boys aged 1 and 3). Since then, there's been a third little boy for that mom, a baby boy for a second classmate and a pair of twins for another, and that's out of a class of 15! It's difficult but it's doable, just don't be too hard on yourself when things get crazy. Best of luck!
  • I am halfway through my Masters in Nursing. I was supposed to take 2 classes this semester but had to drop one because I would have had to fly back to CA for the final practicum when I was 36-37wks! (I changed to the online portion when we moved to Chicago!).

I am not taking summer classes since LO will be here right in the middle of them so I will start back up in the fall! Luckily it only pushed my graduation date back by one semester.

Honestly I don't think it will be too bad since I am going to be a SAHM. The first semester of Grad School was hard but by now I am in the groove of it & find it kinda fun! Can't wait to be done though! ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I finished my 1st Masters (Public Policy) in June,  started my 2nd Masters (Special Education) in July, and got pregnant in August.

Since then, I've been working full time (teaching) and taking a  3 classes each term. 

It's easier the second time around because I know the basics (when ti study, how to skim academic journals, I'm comfortable with research methods/ stats/ SPSS,  and how to analyze and write reports in a timely manner).

My university and cohorts are very flexible and supportive of my pregnancy. I'm actually supposed to take 2 classes around when I deliver and the baby is under a month old. My advisor is letting me take the classes independent study.

In the fall, my professors will let me bring my baby to class if I needed. 

GL to you! Smile

• I applied to grad school before finding out I was pregnant. I already took my GRE's and have my first interview for grad school on Wed. I don't know if I will still follow through with it if I get accepted or not but we'll see. I would really like to go but with a baby on the way I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford it.
  • I am getting my masters in education right now.  I will graduate in May...so, thankfully, I will be done before baby arrives.
  • I'm a PhD student in my 5th year, and I'm currently working on my dissertation from home.  I could defend this summer (in July, baby due in August) if I get a job (I have several applications in, have already had a few interviews).  If not, I have another year of funding, so I plan to take fall semester off and then finish up my dissertation during the winter.

My PhD is in the sciences and partially in engineering, and the first few years of coursework were very difficult.  It would have been tough to do with a kid, and I don't know any women who have had children during early grad school in my department (or even now--I'll be the first).   That said, it really depends on your field, the school, and yourself.  I think it's definitely do-able, but at least in my field, you're kind of charting your own course (and there's nothing wrong with that ;).

image Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemarisella:

I'm a PhD student in my 5th year, and I'm currently working on my dissertation from home.  I could defend this summer (in July, baby due in August) if I get a job (I have several applications in, have already had a few interviews).  If not, I have another year of funding, so I plan to take fall semester off and then finish up my dissertation during the winter.

My PhD is in the sciences and partially in engineering, and the first few years of coursework were very difficult.  It would have been tough to do with a kid, and I don't know any women who have had children during early grad school in my department (or even now--I'll be the first).   That said, it really depends on your field, the school, and yourself.  I think it's definitely do-able, but at least in my field, you're kind of charting your own course (and there's nothing wrong with that ;).

I was in a very similar situation (DD was born when I was finishing my PhD, I was done with coursework and was finishing my thesis, working as a TA, and working part time from home).  In general (varies with field) when you start grad school the classwork requirements are relatively high, so it's a matter of whether you have/can afford child care during those periods.  If you have to RA or TA, then you'd also need child care during those times.  It also would factor in what kind of time you'd have to do homework, etc. (for example, will DH or whoever be able to watch LO if you need time for that sort of thing).  It would be stressful, but no more stressful than having a kid with a job, IMO, since your schedule in general can be a little more flexible than in most jobs.  A lot of colleges also have day care that is more flexible, and affordable, than other day cares, and is designed for/only open to students/staff.  The drawbacks are that you don't get paid ML, so if you are going to be in school when the baby comes that can be an issue (since I was working on my thesis it didn't matter that I couldn't get into the lab for 6 weeks, I just had to work around my TA duties).  Also, if you are on the student insurance, the coverage for maternity can be poor or non-existent.

• I am three classes and my capstone project away from my Master's in Public Administration.  I am taking this spring and summer semeters off and plan to take one or two classes in fall and then one class with my capstone project in spring, all online. 

LO will arrive in the July, so I hope that by the end of August things will have settled into some kind of routine.  If not, I might just take one class and push graduation from May to August.  I want to make sure I am not a big ball of stress because of baby, full time job and grad school.  I would rather graduate a semester late and enjoy being a first time mommy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • All of you ladies are incredible! I am working on My Masters in Education, and plan to pursue my Doctorate soon after. I'm happy to hear so many wonder moms accomplishing both! I'm praying for the strength and motivation after baby arrives in August. Thank you all for the encouragement! I'm excited for baby and pursuing my educational goals.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I graduate in May! I couldn't be a Mom and work FT and do school, personally, so we planned TTC around my graduation date. Granted I'll look like a giant killer tomato at graduation (BU wears red gowns) but I'll graduate!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"