3rd Trimester

Um Excuse me Dr...WTF did you just say?!?

Yep; So this is how the conversation went... (just after my ultrasound and as she measures my belly with the tape)

Dr:So How big was your husband when he was born?

Me: 9 lbs 3 oz

Dr: hm and you were 7lbs and 14 oz right?

Me:yup

Dr:well at this rate your son will be atleast 8 1/2 lbs!

My poor poor vag.

Re: Um Excuse me Dr...WTF did you just say?!?

• Could be worse.  My SIL was told 8 1/2 lbs and it was actually 10 1/2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTiffbow:

Yep; So this is how the conversation went... (just after my ultrasound and as she measures my belly with the tape)

Dr:So How big was your husband when he was born?

Me: 9 lbs 3 oz

Dr: hm and you were 7lbs and 14 oz right?

Me:yup

Dr:well at this rate your son will be atleast 8 1/2 lbs!

My poor poor vag.

That means I'm screwed.

DH was 10lbs 10oz

I was 9lbs

• Loading the player...
  • My H was 9 lb 15oz, I was 8 lb 15 oz.

I'm probably screwed. But, at least my Drs have been relatively optimistic about there being hope.

• I so know how you feel!  My DH warned me that his family has a history of making big babies (his dad was 9 lbs, he was over 8 1/2 lbs, and his sister was a 5 lb "preemie" at 32 weeks).  I shrugged it off but now my baby is measuring 2 weeks ahead.  4 lbs 9 oz was the estimate at 31 weeks!  I am not looking forward to squeezing him out. 

image image
  • yeah im not as scared of giving birth to a big baby...but fear for my crotch afterwards. It hurts now just thinking about it...
  • Don't be scared it might not mean anything.... DH was 5lbs and I was a little over 6 lbs.  And DD was almost 9 lbs! Wow weren't we surprised!
  • I was 8 lbs 1 oz and DH was 6 lbs 4 oz. My Dr said we're probably looking at a 7 1/2 pound baby.
  • I was 8 10 and DH was 6 my kids have been 7 and this one is supposed to be around 6 11 my brother was 9 12 and my mom didn't even tear with him she said he just popped right :)
  • Seriously, your doctor cannot tell how big your baby will be by how big you and DH were.  There are other factors at play.  Sure the baby probably won' be tiny, but to pinpoint a weight is kinda crazy IMO
  • how much your baby weighs doesn't really have that much to do with whether you will have a difficult birth or whether you will tear - it's all about your pelvis.

So unless you are going to have a 10+ plus baby (which they have no real way of knowing btw - growth ultrasounds are routinely off by a pound of more), I wouldn't worry about it.

• Ugh.  I don't want to think about the role that genetics may play in LO's birth weight.  I was 10 lbs 4 oz and DH was 9+ lbs.
  • I think I'm screwed too...I was 9-9, and DH was born exactly at 30 wks and weighed in at 4-8.  They said if he went full term, he would've well over 10 lbs.  I try not to think about it, because I want to cry!
  • if it makes you feel any better DH's dad was around 12lbs (granted he was a couple weeks late, but still.....)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was 6 lbs 15 oz and so was DH, but I'm thinking our LO will exceed that! She is already 4 lbs 1 oz at 31w so it will be interesting what she will end up being!!

• Am I the only one hoping for an eight-pounder? I think it's a great size. And it's not like my vag gets a whole lot of use, anyway.

• 8 1/2lbs isn't bad.  DD was 9lb1oz.  I like big babies.  They don't seem as scary and fragile to me.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DD was 8.2lbs and 20inches (aka: chunky) and I had her w/o meds. I didn't have serious tearing and my recovery time was incredibly fast. I did have anemia (of course not associated to the size of the baby) that I dealt with for a few weeks pp but vaginally speaking I was right as rain very quickly.

Just to give you a positive!!  

• I was a 10lb 1oz baby and my mom delivered me naturally w/o any pain meds. 
    Alyssa born 6/14/05 at 8 lbs 2oz - Ashley born 3/27/10 at 6 lbs 13oz
    We had 2 years of IF trying to conceive #2 and one loss during that time. We are currently trying for #3! had another loss the end of June
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am the most screwed of all because I was 7 lbs 2 oz AND I WAS A TWIN.

And my DH was a 9 pounder.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well let me start off by saying  I LOVE big babies, there healthy and not fragile, adorably plump!! DS #1 was 8 1/2 lbs (not big to me) and DS #2 was  10 LBS !! THAT was big!! haha. and the funniest part was 6 hrs before i deliverd DS #2 they est. his wgt to be 7.5l bs and came out 10! Boy were they wrong, and i delivered him naturally! its totally possible! Im a tall slender framed girl to!!   i was 9 lbs at birth also. so there expecting DS #3 to be 10 or 11    THAT is scary to me! ha ha!! good luck!!
  • imagesoko987:

Am I the only one hoping for an eight-pounder? I think it's a great size. And it's not like my vag gets a whole lot of use, anyway.

I hope for an 8 lb'er.  DD was 9lbs 1oz and she was the cutest chubbiest baby I have ever seen!  I like the chubby babes!

As for the second part...sorry but that made me giggle!

• my husband was 11lbs 11oz and 24" long ("bigger than Shaq when he was born" as he likes to say).  but he was also 2-3 weeks late.  when we told his parents that I was pregnant his mom said "congrats, sign up for your c-section now".  I was about 9oz.  The dr hasn't said anything about the babe being large, but at the last appt she did say that he had had a growth spurt.  I hope he keeps them to a minimum :) 
  • DS was 8 lbs 2 oz at birth and I had a vaginal delivery, 2nd degree tear so it wasn't too bad.  I'm only 5'3" and have small hips so try not to worry.
  • haha my first was 9 lb 2 oz and they're thinking this little guy is going to outdo that! GL mama!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"