Breastfeeding

Bf question that hopefully someone can answer!

My BP was extremely high and my doctor may induce this week depending on what my test results say Monday. Ill be 37 wks and if she has to induce does anyone know if ill be producing milk to bf by then? I went to a class a couple of wks ago and was told that some woman leak and some dont. I may be one that doesnt so how do I know if Im producing milk or not. Should I just be confident that if the dr does induce this week coming up that ill be able to bf lo? 

Re: Bf question that hopefully someone can answer!

• You start producing milk a few days after your LO is born, it doesn't matter how you give birth.  You will be producing colostrum right away though.  I was induced, and I did not have a single problem with BF
  • imageburgle:
    You start producing milk a few days after your LO is born, it doesn't matter how you give birth.  You will be producing colostrum right away though.  I was induced, and I did not have a single problem with BF
    Ditto. Your body knows when you are no longer pregnant and the hormones change so that you start producing milk. I had my baby at 38 weeks and did not have any problems BF.
  • Loading the player...
  • agree with pp.  i never leaked milk and i was actually a week late with DD.  My milk came in slowly and DD lost to much weight so they LC in the hospital brought me a pump almost immediately to make my milk come in faster.  You can ask for this option.  It worked beautifully.  DD had no patience for having to suck real hard to get the colostrum so we had a tough start until my milk came in.  I really think the pump helped a lot in speeding it along.
  • You will probably be fine.  Two things I'd suggest though are to make sure you ask for a LC right away and to try to remember that it can take a week for your supply to come in.  I never leaked, but my supply didn't come in until 4-5 days after my c-section.  A LC will be able to help you with pumping, for example, and helping you understand what reasonable expectations are.  You will, in the meantime, have colostrum.  At birth, a baby's stomach is the size of your thumbnail.  They don't need a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was induced, milk just came in a tiny bit yesterday. One piece of advice I can give you is DO NOT let the nurses throw formula onto you and your baby. This messed us up big time.

• One more thing, if you have a minor freak out, the women on this board are super super super motivators.
  • I had no colostrum before I gave birth and virtually none after, but in the end I ended up with an over supply for many months.  The amount of colostrum you produce does not have any correlation to the amount of milk you will have later on.

Giving birth is what stimulates your body to start producing milk not the amount of weeks you were pregnant.  Mothers to preemies also produce breast milk. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I will have to agree with everyone. I gave birth at 24 weeks and had to start pumping the next day. It worked for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"