Baby Showers

Is 2 Registries Tacky?

My family is thrilled about the baby, and is throwing me a shower.  It'll be mid-May, since I have to travel 500 miles to where they all are.  They've been pestering me to register, so last weekend I did at BRU (they all live near one).  We picked about 22 things, and didn't do any clothes because it's 3 months away, so I figured stuff would go on clearance, be hard to find, and people like to pick that themselves anyway. 

Now, my mom tells me I really need to register at Target too.  I really don't see the point, I think I already picked all the basics, and have no problem AT ALL with people shopping off the registry. 

But, is it rude to not register where my mom thinks that guests would want to shop?  Would you/did you do 2 registries?

BTW, my mom already bought us the crib/changing table combo, and the ILs wanted to pay for the carseat/stroller.  We have the big things already, and I don't want to get greedy asking for stuff the baby won't need for 6+ months.

Re: Is 2 Registries Tacky?

• I'll be honest and say that I didn't read your post b/c its too long to explain 2 registries. 

No, 2 registries is not tacky

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 2 registries is not tacky.

And you'll need to put more than 22 items otherwise you'll end up with stuff you don't want/need. 

• Loading the player...
  • Not tacky at all. That way people have options if they don't like or live near the first store you chose. I wouldn't do more than two personally.
    with two cats
  • imagerobinsokj:

?

this?

• imageK.a.T.e:

2 registries is not tacky.

And you'll need to put more than 22 items otherwise you'll end up with stuff you don't want/need. 

This. Register at a second place. BRU isn't always convenient for everyone. Agree with pp -- add more so you get the items you want and not duplicates of everything.

• I think it is better to have 2, that way people have an option of where to go.  And you can register for the same things, like bottles, first aid supplies, crib sheets.  If you get more of something than you need you can always return it.

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Target when I registered there for my wedding.  The stores and online do not have the same things, so there is a good chance that the stuff you register for online will not be at the store near the location you are going.  Also, their return policy is horrible.

Because of that I will probably end up using Wal-Mart as my second registry.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Having 2 registries is not tacky at all. Just make sure you have things on there in all price ranges: $1-$100.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • I would register at Target also (and I did register at both Target and BRU).  I don't think it's tacky at all, I think it's helpful for people who would prefer to shop there.

Also, one thing to consider is returns.  If you get stuff from Target that you don't want it's really easy to return things if you have a registry (even if the items aren't on it).  You just print out a purchase log from their kiosk and take it up to the returns desk with whatever you're returning.

• 2 registries isn't tacky, it's generally helpful to the guests because it gives them options if they want to shop in store.  We had two, although we went with Target and Amazon.  Honestly, if it's for someone in town, I virtually always (if given the opportunity) buy from Wal-Mart or Target rather than BRU...even with a kid, I have to make a special trip to BRU, whereas I almost always have needs for me I can fill at the other two.

That said, I think it wouldn't hurt to have a look at Target/Wal-Mart/wherever and see if you can't split the registry between the two (they may have some items you already have, cheaper, or some things you like better).  20ish items isn't that many, and it's not greedy at all to registry for some later needs like a high chair, feeding stuff, etc.

• I have 2 registries because there were some things that I liked at certain stores that weren't at other ones.  Also, my friend had only registered at BRU and I told her she needed to also register somewhere else like walmart or target as most people that are coming to the shower don't live near a BRU.  Yay for small towns in the middle of nowhere.
  • imageCourtneyR2N:

I think it is better to have 2, that way people have an option of where to go.  And you can register for the same things, like bottles, first aid supplies, crib sheets.  If you get more of something than you need you can always return it.

Personally, I wasn't a big fan of Target when I registered there for my wedding.  The stores and online do not have the same things, so there is a good chance that the stuff you register for online will not be at the store near the location you are going.  Also, their return policy is horrible.

Because of that I will probably end up using Wal-Mart as my second registry.

This exactly.  I've registered at Babies-R-Us and Wal-Mart.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • 2 registries - def not tacky! What if yuo want different things at different places. Or something better at one store in one category and vice versa.   Sister-in-law had two.  Don't see any problem with it.
  • I don't think it's tacky, I'm thinking of registering at BRU and target too!

HTH!

• We registered at Target and BRU to give people options (and Target is somewhat cheaper too). We didn't register for the same *things* at both places, however.

Sara

Sara - 30 DH - 32 Gracie - June 18, 2010 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • I have two registries, BRU & Target.  We are in the same situtation with family all in another state.  Two registries gives them options.

Honestly, 22 items doesn't seem like very much for people to pick from.  I had girlfriends that already have children help me with mine, but I have 95 items on BRU and 75 on target.  I don't expect to get everything but that gives a range of items for people to pick from.

Heather

• imagerobinsokj:

I'll be honest and say that I didn't read your post b/c its too long to explain 2 registries. 

Sorry, me too.  However, two registries is totally acceptable. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Totally agree two registries is fine.

Also you can register for stuff that the baby will use 6 months +, especially if you have all the stuff for right away. If I was your guest, I'd rather buy you a booster seat or feeding stuff you'll need when baby moves to solids or something else that you'll actually use than have no registry options. Find more stuff -- 22 items doesn't seem like it offers enough choices.  

• I did 2 registries for my wedding because DH's side of the fam didn't have a Bed Bath and Beyond near them. We did another registry at Macy's and then also at Target because we knew some ppl were on a budget and Target's prices are more manageable than the department stores.

I don't think its tacky at all.

Expect MIRACLES!! Shocking surprise BFP 9/12/12 After 2 IUIs, 3 IVFs w/ICSI and 1 FET we have been blessed with a healthy baby girl born 26 August 2010! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJennicap:
    We have 3 registries, I'm sure 2 is fine

This. We registered at BRU and MyRegistry.com - which I found out later you can sync with Target - so anything that you put on there from Target shows up in there system, if you set up a registry there, so I figured, WTH, and registered there, too.

I feel weird about three, but try not to think about it too much - we needed an online option so we could register for cloth diapering supplies, and then everyone kept asking about Target ...

The problem with BRU is that it can be expensive and you can find cheaper things elsewhere - the problem with Target is often limited selection ... having MyRegistry.com allowed me to widen the selection and include cheaper items (our pack-n-play is almost $30 cheaper on Amazon than the same one they sell at BRU).

• No, two registries is not tacky.  Some items can be found at one store and not another...plus you can look at it as offering your guests two places to shop and price compare as to one.  Hope this helps!
  • imageJennicap:
    We have 3 registries, I'm sure 2 is fine

i've got 3 as well.. :) not tacky at all!

• imagejiffy-pop:
    Having 2 registries is not tacky at all. Just make sure you have things on there in all price ranges: $1-$100.

Yes

• I don't think 2 registries is tacky, but personally once I started looking around I didn't want to have to stick to just 1 or 2 places. There's way too much cute stuff out there to choose from! I used myregistry.com so that I could just add whatever I liked best without worrying about how many different stores the stuff came from. This might help you out with people coming from far away since they can shop online if they want. This website also lets you import target registries, so you could just do that if you want your family to be able to find what you want at the store too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"