2nd Trimester

Is it a good idea to stock up on formula, diapers, and bottles?

just wondering if at some point I should start stocking up on this stuff.....I mean are there certain babys that will not take certain bottles or you have to change their formula because they dont do well on it for some reason or another........or if I start them out on a certain formula and bottle, will they just take to it???? Sorry I just have no idea......

Photobucket Our IVF miracle, after 5 years, 5 IUIS & 2 IVFs

Re: Is it a good idea to stock up on formula, diapers, and bottles?

• We are trying to stock up on different sized diapers to be prepared. We've been buying the huge boxes of them when they go on clearance at Target. Same with wipes.

Bottles and formula, I'm not sure. We've bought some bottles for BF, but I'm unsure on the formula.

Sara

Sara - 30 DH - 32 Gracie - June 18, 2010 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • I wouldn't get formula, because every baby is different and you don't know if you will need a special kind, same thing with wipes and diapers. Instead if you want I would get gift cards and save them for diapers, wipes and formula after the baby comes.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know. I would definitely be afraid of doing the formula thing, like you mentioned, because it isn't uncommon for there to be allergies or or whatnot. I'd wait until after your shower with diapers, to see what you get, because you will get them. I have been thinking of buying baby wipes, lotion, etc. Because I know that stuff will be used throughout babyhood.
     I just want to prepare , so I am getting antsy. HaHa.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 6/28/12 EDD 03/07/13 MC 4w5d 07/03/12 new baby
    BabyName Ticker
    BFP 07/30/12 EDD 04/09/13
  • IMO I would hold off on the formula and bottles and stock up on diapers if you need to; a lot of folks will buy them as shower gifts but try and vary the sizes, i.e., I've read not to buy too many newborn sized diapers as babies outgrow them quickly
  • if I start them out on a certain formula and bottle, will they just take to it????  No sorry.

You could get a couple differeny types of bottles, and formula. Or ask your pedi (after you pick one) which formula(s) he/she recommends and then just get a little of that to make sure your LO like it.

You can get some diapers, but some people like some better than others  after they use them, and you dont want to get too many on one size ane have LO outgrow them (Like get a ton on newborn size and then end up with a 9-10 lb baby that will need the next size up very soon)

• I didn't stock up on formula with DS because I planned on BFing and the hospital also sends you home with samples of formula, which I never needed.

I already started stocking up on diapers (get a couple packs of size N, 1 and 2 because who knows how many of what you will get at the shower) and I would buy a few different types of bottles but not in the complete kits, just buy them seperately for now until you figure out which type your LO likes best.  DS would only take the Playtex drop ins with the latex nipples.

• Maybe a few diapers but don't over do it.  The same with wipes.  You never know if you will like them or if your LO will like them.    And formula no no no!!  You never know if your LO will have reflux, be lactose intolerant, etc.  Bottles I went out with DS2 and bought tons of drop ins.  DS ended up hating them but he loved the $2.99 Gerber 3 pack bottles.  So You never know how your LO will react to this things or if you will like them.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • imageMyBella:
    I wouldn't get formula, because every baby is different and you don't know if you will need a special kind, same thing with wipes and diapers. Instead if you want I would get gift cards and save them for diapers, wipes and formula after the baby comes.
  • imageMyBella:
    I wouldn't get formula, because every baby is different and you don't know if you will need a special kind, same thing with wipes and diapers. Instead if you want I would get gift cards and save them for diapers, wipes and formula after the baby comes.
  • imageKKenworthy12:

just wondering if at some point I should start stocking up on this stuff.....I mean are there certain babys that will not take certain bottles or you have to change their formula because they dont do well on it for some reason or another........or if I start them out on a certain formula and bottle, will they just take to it???? Sorry I just have no idea......

this! gift cards ! ! ! i going to start collecting gift cards 3 mths before. so at 28 weeks that way i have 12 weeks of 10-20$ cards saved up. of course u can do it sooner if u want

• Diapers in different sizes yes. We plan to get a few bottles of each kind until the baby decides which they like best. With my daughter she like Even Flow or Vent Aire but never drank from the playtex nurser. This baby may be different. As for formula I know what brand I'm going to use (goodstart) but won't buy a case of it until I know if LO wants milk or soy based. We plan to use Diapers.com to stock up once we know.
    kolney Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I registered for the Huggies Natural Care wipes. I got a sample and just happen to use them on my own bottom, and I was pretty good! I don't know how my DS-to-be will do with them, so I only registered for a few.

I also registered for the Huggies Pure & Natural diapers. I registered for bottles that connect to the breast pump I want.

So in response to your question, I would register for these things, but keep it to a minimum.  

• I agree with all pp's regarding bottles and formula - maybe just get a couple bottles and nipples of a few different kinds until you see what your LO takes. I would say if you want to stock up on diapers (esp. if you see them on sale), go ahead, just keep the receipts (tape them right on the box/case), in case LO outgrows the size too quickly, or has sensitive skin and reacts to a certain brand, etc.
  • IT's not that baby won't take to a certain bottle.. you just have to give it time and don't stress that he/she isn't taking to that kind of bottle.. I plan on using Avent bottles.. as far as formula dont' stock up cause u don't know what he/she will be allergic to.. I plan on buying a few bags of diapers here and there
  • Like with formula, I have heard some diapers or wipes can irritate baby's skin..so, I haven't been stocking up but I have a few diapers lying around. Just scared I'll spend lots of money for nothing.

I wonder if you save the receipt (like tape it to the box) if you can exchange them later??

• IMO, stocking up is a bad idea.

I wouldn't buy in bulk until you see what LO needs/can use. Bottles, formula, and diapers all vary for each baby. With bottles, the baby might not take to a certain nipple. With formula, the baby may have allergies or specific nutrition needs and you won't know that ahead of time. And with diapers, each brand fit each babies differently. You don't want to stock up on Pampers only to find out that they leak or fall off your LO and you really need something else. KWIM??

If you stock up on any of those things and they don't work, it has defeated the purpose and is actually costing you money and aggrivation. Instead, buy gift cards periodocially or put money aside in a seperate account for those things. Buy a couple bottles to start (1 or 2 of a couple kinds) and a pack or two of newborn diapers. Keep in mind, the hopsital will send you home with formula samples. Once you see what works, then you can stock up when your brand goes on sale.

• IMO, it's not good to stock up on anything until you know your baby likes it.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• imagemrs.jenni:
    IMO, it's not good to stock up on anything until you know your baby likes it.

Ditto this.

And yes, babies will sometimes NOT take certain bottles. We had Gerber Nuk bottles, Breastfow bottles and Playtex Drop-ins. DD would only drink out of the drop-ins. So, we ended up giving the rest away.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Instead of buying too much of the items you've mentioned, buy a gift card to Target or BRU whenever you have some extra cash to stock up.  Or just put the money aside and use it later.
  • We grab a pack of diapers every time we go to Costco. They have a great return policy so if they don't work out for some reason, I'm not worried about having issues returning the unopened packages.
  • We've been stocking up on diapers. Don't buy too many newborn diapers because there isn't a huge difference in newborn and size 1. We have about 15 boxes of diapers in the top of the closet, which is a pretty good start. Whenever I'm in Walmart, I'll pick some up.
  • I purchased diapers and wipes only if they were on sale and with a coupon, so they were pratically nothing or close to it.  I also taped the reciept to the pack. I bought 1 pack of newborn and about 5 packs of size 1.  They are all different brands, so I can see what works for the baby, name brand and generic.  I bought wipes in varying brands as well , but again only when on sale and with a coupon.  I don't think I will be purchasing much more, until I see what I get from my showers.

I'm not stocking up on formula because I'm going to try pumping and I'm not sure if the baby will have an allergy to anything, if it doesn't work out.  Also, I'm not sure what bottles will work the best, so I registered for a couple different brands and if they do not work, then I will purchase them until I find out what he likes.

• imageMyBella:

this!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We are getting some formula because two friends have $5-$7 coupons, so I can get a small container for $1.50 or less.  I figure I could possible exchange at walmart or donate to a shelter.  It will only be $20 to $30 in the end.  So no biggie.  I will get one bag of newborns, if we don't get them at our shower.  I know some people will get us wipes and diapers, so I am just waiting to see.  I may get some gift cards in the next couple of months. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"