Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

PSA: Please read

My son nearly died last night so I wanted to share the info in case it might help someone else.

My husband is a night owl and stays up all night with our son so that his sleep doesn't get interrupted and neither does mine. He sleeps during the day while I look after our son (he works from home and travels frequently during his busy season but doesn't have a typical 9-5 job).

So generally our son sleeps in a pack n play in the living room since that's where my husband prefers to be. He's slept there since he was born so that we both were rested.

Last night, my son managed to roll to his tummy in his sleep (he can roll to his belly but not back over) and his face pressed against the mattress. Somehow, there was a little depression in the mattress, and he stopped breathing. Thank goodness my husband was there and was worried when he no longer heard Matthew, and he flipped him back over and away from the depression in the mattress, and he gasped and started to breathe again.

I'm not sure if the mattress is defective but I will be in touch with Graco about it because this should not be happening. The mattresses are supposed to be firm for the very reason to prevent this potential tragedy.

A lot of people think we're crazy for looking after Matthew in shifts like we do, but I don't even want to think of what I might have woken up to this morning if my husband hadn't been awake and actively caring for our son. I had a mini breakdown just thinking about it.

Check your PnP mattresses and make sure they are firm and safe! 

Re: PSA: Please read

• Options

OMG that is awful.  I have tears in my eyes just thinking about your LO.  I am so glad that everything turned out ok.

My DS is sleeping in his crib now but I still go and look in on him several times a night.  This is one of my biggest fears.

Thank you for sharing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm so sorry Susie, that must have been terrifying.  So glad everything is okay.

Can I just add my own little PSA to this thread?  I don't lay DS on his playmat anymore with a bib on.  If he's gonna be laying down, the bib comes off.  He flips it onto his face and suffocates because he can't flip it back down.  Maybe everyone already takes this precaution, but I didn't and it was frightening.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

OMG that is so scary!  I'm so glad your LO is ok!

Thank you for posting - I will be checking the mattress on our asap.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Susie I am so sorry that happened! I'm glad Matthew is ok. :hug:
  • Options
    OMG Susie! I'm so glad your DH was there! That is scary, I'm so happy to hear that LO is doing okay.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    A stowaway on board! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    That must have been so scary. I will be checking the PnP ASAP. DS has been sleeping there since we've moved until we get the crib up.
  • Options
    How scary!  I'm so glad he is okay!!!
  • Options
    OMG! How scary, I would've had a mini breakdown too if I were you. I'm so glad to hear that your LO is all right, and that your DH was there to look after him. DD is sleeping in her crib now and I wake up several times/night and go in and peek at her. I'm so paranoid, but she was getting too big for the bassinet and once when I woke up during the night when she was still in there, she had turned a bit on her side and her face was almost mashed up against the side!! So glad I woke up when I did and moved her away from the edge. Thanks for posting!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image Visit The Nest!
  • Options

Terrifying. Utterly terrifying.

So glad he is okay and I really appreciate you posting this.

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• Options

Wow, that is incredibly scary. I'm so glad he's okay!!!

DS still sleeps in his swing, and stories like this make me sort of glad about that... at least he can't roll over! (But we are going to start working on the crib soon)

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That made me cry.  I'm sorry you went through this but am SO glad to hear your son is okay!  Thank God your husband was up and alert.

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • Options
    How terrifying!  Glad he's ok

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OMG thank God your husband was there! That is really scary. So glad he is okay. You should definitely tell Graco about it.
  • Options

OMG how scary!  So happy he is ok!

Many people call me neurotic, but this is why I still use the Angelcare monitor

• Options
    I just have to say first of all that I am so sorry that this happened to your little one. And secondly, if Graco says that they have never seen a crease in the matress before they are full of crap. Walk into any BRU and look at them or when you put your hand on them and apply any weight at all they bend. This is exactly the reason that we did not choose a Graco PNP, we went with a Chicco because they did feel much more durable in this aspect. However now that Ive heard your store Im even questioning that. Good luck I really hope that you can make some headway with the company and at least get them to include a warning!
  • Options

First of all let me just say that I am SO glad that your hubby was being so diligent and that your LO was okay. My second thought is "OH NO" I just bought a Graco Travel Lite Crib and now I'm so scared! I bought it because I'll be breastfeeding and my first slept with me for the first 7 months of his life and getting him to sleep on his own was hell after that. I don't want to end up in that same boat again so I bought this to have him close and to make it easier to BF until he sleeps for a longer duration (rather than stumbling to the nursery every 2 hrs I can just sit up in bed and feed him that way ) 

This is the product description posted on the website with the product

You want your little one to be well rested. She?ll sleep soundly at home or away in the Travel Lite?, our ultra-comfy travel crib. It features a removable, full bassinet with quilted bumpers to pamper your little sleeper. The canopy with soft toys soothes and shields baby from light. This travel crib is designed to be 20% smaller than traditional playards, so it will fit easily in your bedroom. And it features our no-fuss, signature push-button fold and a handy carry bag, so it?s ready for a trip to Grandma?s at a moment?s notice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"