2nd Trimester

Before you purchase an expensive breast pump...

Call your insurance company and find out if a breast pump is covered under your insurance.  Most of the time it would be under Durable Medical Equipment.  If you have Cigna, give them the code E0603.  Most of the time the pump will be covered.  You may need to get a prescription from your doctor.  If your baby has to spend any time in the NICU this would be considered medical necessity for you to get a pump.  I would also check with your hospital and find out if they would give you a pump and charge it to your hospital bill.  This is the most ideal way to go.  If not, you can still get reimbursed from your insurance company. 

I have Cigna and they are covering all but 20% of the pump.  Yay!

Re: Before you purchase an expensive breast pump...

• imagejayandjuliecruz:

Call your insurance company and find out if a breast pump is covered under your insurance.  Most of the time it would be under Durable Medical Equipment.  If you have Cigna, give them the code E0603.  Most of the time the pump will be covered.  You may need to get a prescription from your doctor.  If your baby has to spend any time in the NICU this would be considered medical necessity for you to get a pump.  I would also check with your hospital and find out if they would give you a pump and charge it to your hospital bill.  This is the most ideal way to go.  If not, you can still get reimbursed from your insurance company. 

Thanks for this.  I've been meaning to call and find out if my insurance will cover this.  What kind did you get?  Does it matter for insurance?

BFP#1 - 08/30/09 - m/c - 10/2/09 7w4d
    BFP #2 - 11/4/09 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My Book Blog
  • Good to know.  I have Cigna as well.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine doesn't unless there's a medical necessity like cleft palate or unless mother has to leave hospital while baby has to stay.  Too bad for me.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Interestingly, Mass Medicaid does NOT cover. you'd think they would because other wise a lot of patient might turn to formula (esp. working moms) without a pump and would be WIC eligible. wouldn't paying for a breastpump cost the state less in healthcare then it would to pay for months on end of baby formula?

different state budget for MassHealth/Medicaid and WIC but I don't follow the logic since it could help keep costs down. and a person income-eligible for Medicaid might not be able to afford a pump on their own... Tongue Tied

• The hospital we delivered at for our first, and hopefully for our second one had rentable hospital grade pumps, for a reasonable amount!  You can always look into that idea as well!
  • imageearthycrunchymama:

Interestingly, Mass Medicaid does NOT cover. you'd think they would because other wise a lot of patient might turn to formula (esp. working moms) without a pump and would be WIC eligible. wouldn't paying for a breastpump cost the state less in healthcare then it would to pay for months on end of baby formula?

different state budget for MassHealth/Medicaid and WIC but I don't follow the logic since it could help keep costs down. and a person income-eligible for Medicaid might not be able to afford a pump on their own... Tongue Tied

I should also note that Medicaid doesn't cover birthing or parenting classes either... some insurances pick up a portion. again, you'd think that people medicaid-eligible wouldn't have the resources to afford some of these types of classes but might really need it. 

• imagejayandjuliecruz:

Are you getting this through your prescription drug plan?

• imagebride47:
    imagejayandjuliecruz:

I was looking at multiple insurances and how they work it - most have it as durable medical equipment. you get it through a medical supply company in that case rather then a pharmacy. your insurance should be able to tell how to bill and where to bring an Rx from. Wink

• imageearthycrunchymama:
    imagebride47:
    imagejayandjuliecruz:

I was looking at multiple insurances and how they work it - most have it as durable medical equipment. you get it through a medical supply company in that case rather then a pharmacy. your insurance should be able to tell how to bill and where to bring an Rx from. Wink

Thanks, we will check it out!

• That's odd. I have Cigna and they told me they only cover it if mom and baby are separated. Did their policy change?
  • Each insurance is different depending on the options your employer selected.  For me, one is not covered so I set aside FSA $$ to rent it.
    Married and it feels so good! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ohh I have Cigna! I should call them! Thanks!!
  • I have Kaiser Permanente and if I buy the Madela one at my clinic it is 20% off.
  • We have BCBS and they don't cover it.  They said it's a convenience item.  Flex spending won't cover it either.  Same reason.  Flex will cover classes, insurance won't.  I am surprised other insurances cover it, since we have pretty awesome insurance.  I had 3 friends check and none of their insurances cover it either (maybe we have all BCBS, who knows).  Congrats if they do though!
  • I am having twins, so we will most likely be "separated" for some amount of time.  To be technical, you are separated from your baby when they go to the nursery.  They shouldn't really give you a hard time as long as your doctor says it is ok.
  • Honestly, with my last pregnancy i had BCBS and they covered it.  I bought it from the lactation office at the hospital and was reimbursed.  This time around our insurance isn't as good, but i just called.  They said it would be covered after my deductible and all i would pay is 20%, which is normal for my insurance.  Just something for all of you to check in to. 

Oh, and for whoever asked, i got a Medela Pump In Style Advanced with the last one and plan to do the same this time around.

• you may also want to look into renting one through your insurance. Mine was $17.50 for a small hospital grade pump for 3 months, and then $5 per month after that(I think). I only used it for a few months though. I was glad I didn't purchase one. We rented through Apria.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"