Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

NTR: Perspective wanted

If you were going to be moving 2300 miles away from where your home is and you knew it would not be forever, like 3-4 years not more than 5 for sure what would you do for the following:

a) move all your belongings to the new place or put most in storage and just take essentials and buy new stuff there

b) rent your home in your current city or sell it

c) rent in the new city or buy

Re: NTR: Perspective wanted

• move everything, sell my current home, buy in new location.  3-4 years is a long time!!!
  • a. move everything

b. sell

c. buy

aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Loading the player...
  • I would move most of my stuff with me and rent in the new place. We have all of our (few) belongings here and we'll be here only until I finish my PhD (5 or 6 years total...3 more years from now!!!)
  • Store belongings. Depending on where you go, it's a pain in the butt to move things and most of the time it's easier to buy new stuff and sell it later.

Rent out your current home if you're going to move back to your current city.

Rent in new city. 

• Where are you moving to?? (trying to figure out how far 2300 miles is...)

I would move everything and it would depend on my financial situation, housing costs, and ability to rent.

Here- renting in the summer is super easy, but impossible in the winter.  Year-round rentals aren't super common. That said, new mortgage rules, needing 20% down, we'd probably be forced to rent our home so we could keep it.

If we rented our house, we'd have to rent in the new city.

DS 06.26.08 DD 10.23.10
    imageimage
  • imagepunkfiction_v.3:

a. move everything

b. sell

c. buy

agree

• a.) questionable...but I would prob. move everything

b.) sell home

c.) rent

• imageMiss.Modular:
    move everything, sell my current home, buy in new location.  3-4 years is a long time!!!

Ditto to all of this.

• Yeah what mod said, that is a long time. 
  • I would plan as if I weren't coming back, even if it was certain. 3-4 years is a long time and you never know where things might take you.
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • move everything, sell, buy. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • image*sallymad*:

imageMiss.Modular:
    move everything, sell my current home, buy in new location.  3-4 years is a long time!!!

Ditto to all of this.

Me too. Unless you're really in love with your current home. Is this hypothetical?

• 3-4 years is long enough that I would sell and buy in the new location.

If it were 1-2 years, I would have a different mindset.

• You have no idea how hard of a decision that is! lol.  I'm trying to decide all of that right now.  DH has been working in Alberta for the past 7 months and I'm still in Ontario.  We're trying to decide on moving there, if we do what to do about the house (since all the sales in the past 2 years in our area have been bank forclosures so we would definately loose money on the house) and do we rent or buy there and what do we do about our stuff here... Sigh...

It's definately not easy.  Good luck!!

Kristin & Dave

Happy Easter

My Blog

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Habs, not hypothetical just not set in stone just yet so I don't want to jump the gun.  Nah, we're not attached to the house really...maybe the trees I planted when we moved in.  Would it be gauche to dig them up and plant them in my friends yard until we came back, lol.

I just feel like we have sooooo much stuff to move. 

Kriz.B where in Ab is your H working?  I'll give you my 2 cents about living here.

• Move everything, sell home if I could (rent if I had to), rent in the new city.
    imageimage
  • imageMiss.Modular:

I'd do this!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are currently going through your exact scenario.  Two months ago, we moved 1600 miles from my hometown for for my husband's job
    (it's a 3 to 4 year rotation for him). We're currently in temporary housing, but we did the following:

- Moved all our belongings.  Right now about 90% is in storage until we have our permanent place. 

- Sold our house. We moved from a relatively strong real estate market (Wash, DC) and sold it pretty quickly.

- We are looking to buy in our new city and cannot wait until we find a house. 

We will probably head back in 3 to 4 years, but you never know. We really like where we are right now, so could conceivably stay longer.  

• imageMiss.Modular:

Agreed. Plus, you never know what might happen. You think right now that it would never be more than 5 years, but things could change. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sell my current home if financially feasible but RENT in the new city only. take my furniture with me (PODS is good enough).
  • 3-5 years is a long time

a) move it all

b) sell

c) buy

DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
    BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
    BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
    Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
    BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
    Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
    IVF or adoption??
  • Move the expensive purchases if possible, sell everything else.

Sell unless you plan on moving back.

Buy because 3-4 years of renting sounds like hell. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • sell everything, storage is a total ripoff.  just take your personal possessions and things you can't live without.  sell your house. buy new stuff in your new location and rent a new place.  are you coming to LA?
  • A) Move everything. I move every 1-3 years, and replacing things you already have is shockingly expensive.

B) Depends on the market and the shape of your home. If you want to move back to it and it's in relatively good shape, rent. Nothing is less satisfying than replacing the roof on a house you aren't even living in.

C) Depends on the market and your financial situation. If it's low cost market and you are willing to risk not getting a return on your purchase when you sell, then buy if you find something you like. Otherwise rent.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"