3rd Trimester

Please explain the obsession...

Can someone please explain to me the obsession with being "groomed" for your delivery? Why are so many women so concerned about looking good 'down there' for their OB? It seems very strange to me...

Don't get me wrong! I groomed down there when I could still see it, but it has always been for DH's benefit. He hasn't minded the change up since I had to stop. It seems almost wrong to think that people are obsession over being groomed for their doc! I don't get it!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please explain the obsession...

• My only concern beyond pure vanity would be it's easier to clean up. With all the blood and stuff, the less down there for things to get messy.

Having said that, I haven't grommed in months...lol

• Well my DH was pretty horrified when he I showed him the Bradley book and he saw all those photos of ungroomed 1980s women giving birth!  So I told him he needs to keep it up for the next few months unless he wants me looking like that--haha.

• Loading the player...
  • Lurking...but I had DH groom down there for me only because I'm really hairy.  Some women just don't like body hair.

• Im not sure about being obsessed for my doctor, but I do it bc Ive always done it and its about personal hygiene for me. I cant speak for others, but it makes me feel cleaner. Not to mention my doctor has told me that I would be groomed when in the hospital if it was too long and Id much rather have had it done myself than have my doctor or some strange RN do it. 
  • imagepdxjenn:

My only concern beyond pure vanity would be it's easier to clean up. With all the blood and stuff, the less down there for things to get messy.

Oh yeah...I never thought about that but seriously true!

• I cant reach it and I dont trust DH with a razor.  I usually keep it well groomed, but at this point couldn't give 2 sh*ts. 
  • imagepdxjenn:

My only concern beyond pure vanity would be it's easier to clean up. With all the blood and stuff, the less down there for things to get messy.

This exactly!  And I don't like how it feels if it gets too out of hand.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't want to be hairy afterwards with all the blood and clean up. It just feels cleaner.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I care more about how I feel rather than what the medical staff thinks.  I don't like going from short and trim to the amazon river basin. 
  • For the sake of easy cleanup.

Because I"m so used to it I feel icky when not groomed.

I hate body hair...

• I have ALWAYS preferred to be more bare down there. If I start to get hairy than I start itching non stop which turns red from the irritation. I will groom down there because it bothers me...not because I give a crap if my midwife sees me with hair there. I also believe it will be easier to clean PP and less likely to lock in odors.
  • imageItaliannvegas:
    I have ALWAYS preferred to be more bare down there. If I start to get hairy than I start itching non stop which turns red from the irritation. I will groom down there because it bothers me...not because I give a crap if my midwife sees me with hair there. I also believe it will be easier to clean PP and less likely to lock in odors.

Exactly! I get more ingrown hairs when I don't shave then when I do! Dh doesn't care and I give two craps less what my doctors think but it irritates the heck out of me to have hair down there ( I have always been like that). Also I do think the pros of not having hair with lots of blood will be nice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepdxjenn:

This is my reason and I want to keep up, so I don't go through the pain of a "first" waxing or waiting too long in between.  

• I think the word "obsession" is a little strong.  Hells yes, I'll admit that last time I gave birth I hadn't shaved in months and I felt a bit embarassed because at least 20 different people looked between my legs in those two days.  I began wishing I had known some way to trim it up.

I see it like this: it's humbling enough to have every Tom, ***, and Harry on the L&D floor peer between your legs.  You at least want it to look its best (which ain't saying much, when it comes to pregnancy crotch).

• I've lightened up on the grooming since getting bigger.  I used to just have a little for show, but now I only trim to prevent a massive bush.  I am prone to ingrowns from shaving and can deal with it when I can see to extract them, but the idea of having to have DH take care of them is enough for me to ease up on my shaving rituals! 
    Baby #3 is on the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

Also Mama to Max 5/21/10 and Lucy 6/18/12
  • imagehollybabe:

I think the word "obsession" is a little strong.  Hells yes, I'll admit that last time I gave birth I hadn't shaved in months and I felt a bit embarassed because at least 20 different people looked between my legs in those two days.  I began wishing I had known some way to trim it up.

I see it like this: it's humbling enough to have every Tom, ***, and Harry on the L&D floor peer between your legs.  You at least want it to look its best (which ain't saying much, when it comes to pregnancy crotch).

LOL at the bump for censoring "D!ck" as a proper noun.

• From what I've heard from those that work in L&D, they honestly don't even notice what people look like down there. It doesn't register since they see so many.

I don't personally care about that aspect. I can understand wanting clean up to be easier, though. That makes sense.

• I do it because it makes me feel a little more secure being spead eagle with my feet up in the air.  I also paint my toe nails...Its not for my OB--its for my own peace of mind haha
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • yeah ... I could care less at this point and my husband could care even less than me ... of course I groomed before I was pregnant and once I became pregnant, when I could see to do so but now, nope ...  I've thought about going to get waxed before the birth but that would just sort of be a part of my "getting ready for baby process (buying a new robe and pjs, socks, lansinoh, baby's coming home outfit, mani pedi)." Just to feel "ready" I suppose but other than that, I don't really care
  • If you tear or have a c/s they shave you anyway.  Let the nurse do it!
  • I usually DON'T care but when there is hair down there and all the bleeding commences... It gets messy...
  • I like to look clean and tidy. It's pretty much vanity.
  • I've always heard that it's better to be trimmed before labor. It makes things easier for clean up & the dr can see the baby's head better. But I do it b/c I feel nasty once it gets too long. I feel like pee gets all in it no matter how good I wipe. I know it doesn't but I'm just paranoid about it. I don't do it that often, & if I don't get to it before labor it's not going to bother me!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageurbanwifey:
    If you tear or have a c/s they shave you anyway.  Let the nurse do it!

Trust me....I had an emergency c-section with my first and their "grooming" meaning the hospital staff was HORRIBLE!  Talk about major razor burn....it was almost worse than the csection recovery.  Dry razor on bare skin...no thank you.

For my 2nd and for this one, I will be high and tight!!

Canon 60D: Canon 50mm 1.8 & 85mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4
  • I personally hate having hair down there. It makes me feel really gross so I groom to keep myself feeling fresh. It also helps when AF comes.

I am going to make sure that I am well groomed for delivery so that I don't have to deal with all the fluids making things more unpleasant then they have to be. 

• imagemrs_sherod:

Lurking...but I had DH groom down there for me only because I'm really hairy.  Some women just don't like body hair.

Ditto. It just feels better when its all clean down there LOL. I also agree with a PP that said it'll be easier to clean up with because from what I hear, there's a lot of blood :)

• I am not sure if it is a requirement where you are giving birth, so I would find out. I just use my husbands beard trimmer HE HE! besides, can you imagine some intern shaving your nethers with a single blade bic? no ma'am. Besides that, it will certainly be easier to keep clean before and after the birth. What I thought was funny was so many girls getting pedi's just for the big day...who's gonna care what your feet look like? HAHA ! people are funny.

• imagepdxjenn:

This, as well.  But, it's also something I've always done--DH is used to it, I'm used to it.  Also, they'll shave you if there's too much down there, and my skin is too darn sensitive to allow for a nurse's hack job.

Plus, I'll be delivering at the same hospital where DH works--he's a urologist, so they consult with my OB/GYN team all the time.  I know how they talk about patients (come on, everyone talks about clients that way, whether you're in retail or a waitress or a doc/nurse), and I'm not going to have them say that about me!  I don't want them saying "Dr. L's wife is a real Chewbacca," even joking. 

Yes, I'm vain.  I'm okay with that. 

• I don't really care how my doctor sees me. He sees, like, a million bajingos a day. I don't think he cares whether or not I'm trimmed up. However, I am going to figure out something because I don't want to deal with PP bleeding with a giant bush.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"