3rd Trimester

Breast Pump and Insurance...

Ladies,

You should call your insurance companies and see if they cover your breast pump.  I have BCBS and they cover 80% of the cost of my breast pump.  I need to order through Edge Park, but they will reimburse me 80%.  I think it's worth the call to your providers to see if they cover it.  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breast Pump and Insurance...

• yes through my health insurance i get a free breast pump and free car sea!
  • I have BCBS too but they won't cover mine. Booo.

Definitely worth calling, though! 

• Loading the player...
  • I have BCBS, through my husbands insurance Federal Employee and they don't! Who did you talk too? Did just call and ask a customer service rep?
  • Yeah, me too.  I am a Federal Employee with Basic BCBS and it's not covered.  Maybe because I have basic?
  • I have BCBS through Horizon in NJ.  Our plan will cover it if the dr. tells them the baby is premature.   When I inquired further, they said the dr just has to write a prescription and I have to purchase and submit is as a claim.   I am going to call back to make sure... 
  • I am not a federal employee so I probably have a different plan.  I have BCBS PPO.  They looked under my specific policy and told me I was covered.  Boooooooooooooo.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageannasi83:
    Yeah, me too.  I am a Federal Employee with Basic BCBS and it's not covered.  Maybe because I have basic?

I have Basic too. No free nothing for me =(

• I agree - definitely worth calling.

I called and mine will only cover a BP if there is a medical reason (i.e. cleft lip, separation from mother in a NICU, etc.)

Ask specifically if there are circumstances where they WILL NOT cover your BP. Sometimes it's hard to get a straight answer from those folks. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • "basic" plan or not doesn't have anything to do with it - it's your individual BCBS. each one is it's own entity but is a licensee of blue cross. so mine in ND has nothing to do with BCBS in any other state other than the licensed name.

so unfortunately, what goes for on BCBS member, may not be for others.

• imageSissyKate21:

I agree - definitely worth calling.

I called and mine will only cover a BP if there is a medical reason (i.e. cleft lip, separation from mother in a NICU, etc.)

Ask specifically if there are circumstances where they WILL NOT cover your BP. Sometimes it's hard to get a straight answer from those folks. 

This is what I was told by mine as well, they will only cover it if it is medically necessary and I will have to pay a $100 deductible first, and then still pay 20% of the cost of the pump after that... so, if my pump cost $150, I would pay $100, plus 20% ($30) so insurance would cover $20.  Ah, thanks Harvard Pilgrim, keep your 20 bucks and I will skip the paperwork.

• I literally JUST called because you posted this.  I have BCBS direct POS and for me it is covered 100% w/ no copay under the "durable medical equipment" category as long as I use an in network vendor.  (of which there are 12 in a 10 mile radius; I'm in NYC.  The service rep is emailing me the list now.)  

Thanks for posting this! 

• lol I posted a PSA about this last week when I found out about mine! Congrats that's great news that you are covered :)

I have BS (in CA they are seperate companies) and under my policy it is covered w/RX as "durrable med equipment. Like everything else though it depends on your policy NOT the company you are insured with. GL ladies

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"