Infertility

Gonal f: in the fridge or room temp

My pharmacy told me that gonal f, once opened, could stay at room temperature if you're going to use it within 30 days (on max stims, I go through pens quickly). But there's a post below where some girls say their REs told them it should stay cold all the time.

what do you do with gonal f?
Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
The Dandelion Archive
"If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Gonal f: in the fridge or room temp

• It's the same as follistim, right? And I was always told to keep that refrigerated.

Personally, I would just keep it in the fridge all the time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • fridge
    S/PAIFW
    Tara & Dave - TTC since September 2006
    PCOS - dx 1999 (amenorrhea) | freakishly long fallopian tubes
    Hypoglycemic | thyroid issues | severely anemic
    Multiple Clomid cycles of 50, 100, 150 - absolutely no response
    Follistim 50/100 | Follistim 75/125 | Follistim 100/150 IUI - all BFNs
    Converted IVF - BFP - m/c | FET - BFN | IVF #2 = BFN
    IVF #3
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told the only reason to refrigerate Gonal-F is to prolong it's shelf life and that room temp is fine once it's opened. I've done it this way for 3 cycles and had no problems.
  • I was told to keep it in the fridge.  I do take it out about 15 minutes before I use it, I think it not being as cold stings less
  • i always kept in the fridge (except for the 2x) i left it out!
  • My RE and pharmacy told me to keep it cold at all times. I do take it out about 30 mins before injection, because for me it hurts when the needles is cold. My RE said doing this was fine.
  • I have always been told to keep it in the fridge until you are ready to use and then bring it to room temperature.
  • I keep it in the fridge for storage and then once I start using it I leave it at room temp. It says that is fine everywhere I have read. Unless you live in a hot climate or something. You are right, it's to prolong the shelflife when it's unopened. Once it has been opened it's only good for 30 days refrigerated or not. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My RE and Pharmacist told me that my Follistim needed to stay in the fridge at all times. 

I know there are differing opinions on this though.

• wow - so many told to keep it cold at all times. I'm going to ask my RE on thursday to see what he says. I never asked him before, just went with what the pharmacy said.

It will be difficult for me to do - since I always have to do my evening stims at work - but i'll have to figure something out if he says to keep it cold.

Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageGenRN45:

wow - so many told to keep it cold at all times. I'm going to ask my RE on thursday to see what he says. I never asked him before, just went with what the pharmacy said.

It will be difficult for me to do - since I always have to do my evening stims at work - but i'll have to figure something out if he says to keep it cold.

A soft, insulated lunch sack and an ice pack work wonders!  It kept all of my follistim cold for our 8 hour flight to Hawaii in November.

The reasoning my pharmacists gave was that she doesn?t like meds to have big temperature fluctuations.  So, since they kept it in the fridge, and I stored it in the fridge prior to use, it was best to stay consistent ? especially since the meds are pre-mixed. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"