Trying to Get Pregnant

Anyone with PCOS come in please...

Last week I posted that I missed my cycle now for 70 days or more.  Last cycle started 11/27 ended 12/6.  Had Dr. appt. and ultrasound.  Thyroid testing was normal, pg test negative.  Ultrasound showed cysts in both ovaries.  Dr. diagnosed yesterday with PCOS... I was given progesterone (sp?)  to shed my lining.  Dr. hopes this will resume my cycles? If not I will be put on more meds.

So my questions are: 1)What does progesterone do for cysts?  a)Does it minimize them so that you can ovulate/have a period?  b)Or is it just for the lining? 

2) Are there any natural remedies to minimize ovarian cysts?  

3) Reading TCOYF - it sounds like weight loss may help.  If PCOS is something that people have a hard time breaking down sugars - (which sugar is in a lot of foods) Has anyone adjusted their diet/exercise routine and if so what are you doing?  (I eat fairly healthy, workout 3x weekly - but PCOS fits because I have extra weight around my lower stomach that does not go away and acne on my back). 

I'm just trying to absorb all this... Any ideas would be appreciated! 

TIA! 

Re: Anyone with PCOS come in please...

• 1)What does progesterone do for cysts? I've never had to take this, so I'm not 100%sure, but two of my coworkers have PCOS and both took this.  I was under the impression that it just brought on the period, because both of them also took Clomid for ovulation.

2) Are there any natural remedies to minimize ovarian cysts?  When I first went of BCP, I had several cysts in a row and a nurse suggested Vitamin E.  I take it every night and haven't had another one since.

3) Reading TCOYF - it sounds like weight loss may help.  If PCOS is something that people have a hard time breaking down sugars - (which sugar is in a lot of foods) Has anyone adjusted their diet/exercise routine and if so what are you doing?  Losing weight with PCOS can be very difficult for a lot of women.  I've gained weight while eating very few calories and exercising.  I only start losing while on meds to treat PCOS (like BCPs and now Metformin).

• 1)What does progesterone do for cysts?  a)Does it minimize them so that you can ovulate/have a period?  b)Or is it just for the lining? 

Progesterone is the hormone that is produced after you ovulate. About 14 days after you ovulate, if you are not pregnant, your progesterone level drops signaling your body to shed the uterine lining. Progesterone does not get rid of cysts, it helps you get a period thus starting your cycle over. Day one of your period is day one of your cycle. You need to get a period every so often to prevent uterine cancer ect. 

2) Are there any natural remedies to minimize ovarian cysts?  

There are many people who believe acupuncture can help. If you are insulin resistant, taking cinnamon can help with your resistance and that will minimize the PCO. Even a 5-10% loss in body weight can help resume regular cycles.

3) Reading TCOYF - it sounds like weight loss may help.  If PCOS is something that people have a hard time breaking down sugars - (which sugar is in a lot of foods) Has anyone adjusted their diet/exercise routine and if so what are you doing?  (I eat fairly healthy, workout 3x weekly - but PCOS fits because I have extra weight around my lower stomach that does not go away and acne on my back). 

A healthy diet with fewer carbs can help. 30 min of exercise 5-6 times a week is also beneficial.  See above for weight loss. 

I have PCOS, and have conceived two children with fertility treatment, and am now pregnant with a bonus baby! (although the numbers are looking not super)

It is possible to have children with PCOS!

• Loading the player...
  • I have PCOS, I only get AF if I am on the pill, or if I go on Prometrium (progesterone) for two weeks.

Weight loss and eating a low GI diet can help for some women, but not all.  I've had PCOS and haven't ovulated my whole life, whether I was a 115 lb teenager or now.  I will definitely need meds to ever ovulate.  You should ask your doctor to do a test for insulin resistance, and that will help determine if you need to go on a low GI diet or on a medication like Metformin.  Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies =)  On the one hand, it PCOS explains many things (trouble losing weight no matter how healthy I eat, or how much I work out).  So when doctors give metroformin(sp?)  is the expectation to be on it forever or only when TTC?  I'm concerned with overall wellbeing, and being healthy to TTC.  

Thanks again! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"