2nd Trimester

Classes. 1 left, thank goodness.

I was so looking forward to these classes to learn more and feel confident that I was doing everything I could to prepare "us" for this new life.

The childbirth class was such a disappointment. If you have read WTEWE by Heidi Murkoff then you've pretty much read everything the instructor went over.

Tonight was the Newborn Care class. It was helpful but a lot of it was just common sense items that you may or may not have thought about - and inevitably you'll face them and probably make the decision that fits your family. Our instructor was phenomenal because she told a lot of personal stories... but that made it run nearly an hour behind.

Next and Finally is our Breastfeeding class - that one has to be more than enlightening since I really don't know much about the process and have never seen family or friends breastfeed.

So if I had to do it again I would skip all of it except for this next class (hopefully). Save your money and buy books... at least you won't worry about forgetting stuff with a book on your shelf. With the baby brain I have currently I should have recorded the classes. Hahaha!!

Re: Classes. 1 left, thank goodness.

• really?  I wouldn't say I loved my classes or learnt a lot, but i think it was really helpful for me and my husband to go to them.  It prompted a lot of discussion between us and got him more involved in the process.  I also liked that we could ask questions- something you can't really do with a book.  Some of the info was pretty common sense to me, and I had read a fair bit before we went.  The stuff on babyproofing, car seats, etc was really boring, I thought.  But still the process was beneficial for those of us who's husbands won't bother to read books.

• I'm so happy you posted this- I was looking at classes online last night and DH didn't think we needed the "taking care of your infant" class since we helped raised our younger siblings, and I certainly didn't want to take the childbirth class and freak myself out more. Let us know how the breast feeding one is, thats the only one I pre-registered for! 
    Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTulips21:

really?  I wouldn't say I loved my classes or learnt a lot, but i think it was really helpful for me and my husband to go to them.  It prompted a lot of discussion between us and got him more involved in the process.  I also liked that we could ask questions- something you can't really do with a book.  Some of the info was pretty common sense to me, and I had read a fair bit before we went.  The stuff on babyproofing, car seats, etc was really boring, I thought.  But still the process was beneficial for those of us who's husbands won't bother to read books.

The only thing it helped with my fella is to scare the merconium out of him. He swears he will not touch a diaper. Wonderful! I'm not sure he's really listening while we're in class. But at our doctor's visits he is all ears and I usually have a short list of questions. So I wish I could say these classes have really helped us but unfortunately I still feel like the books I have are going to be greater fallbacks. :0(

• imagekimmyt09:
    I'm so happy you posted this- I was looking at classes online last night and DH didn't think we needed the "taking care of your infant" class since we helped raised our younger siblings, and I certainly didn't want to take the childbirth class and freak myself out more. Let us know how the breast feeding one is, thats the only one I pre-registered for! 

The greatest thing I came out of the childbirth class with was breathing/relaxation/visualization techniques. And of course, the Mother Baby Unit nurse that I know said they re-teach that stuff to you while you're in the hospital. I'll definitely post about the BF class - but it's not until the first week of march... so you might beat me to it. Geeked

• I'm so upset that DH can't come to a few of the classes with me.  He was supposed to teach his night class on Tuesdays, but the school messed up and made it on Thursday which happens to be when most classes are offered.  Sad
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagesucrets4:
    I'm so upset that DH can't come to a few of the classes with me.  He was supposed to teach his night class on Tuesdays, but the school messed up and made it on Thursday which happens to be when most classes are offered.  Sad

There were mommy's-to-be in our class by themselves. Good thing about my classes is the resources they provide. Each class has a workbook and website that you can visit with a special code once you're home. Maybe your class will have something similar... So then you can become the teacher for DH!!

• Good idea!  Although if they're basically common sense like you said, it shouldn't be too bad.  He's coming to the Preparing for Birth (the important one with the L&D tour) and the Relaxation classes, though.  I'm still so mad at the school...he requested Tuesday and they were lazy and just kept it the same as last year. 
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"