2nd Trimester

PET Question... (LONG)

My husband and I have two precious cats and have been wanting to get a puppy for some time. Because I am a SAHW at the moment, we figure I could put the time into training one before Little Boy gets here. I'll be honest. I really really want a puppy. I don't care if it is purebred or whatnot and I would really like to adopt one from a shelter. Sure, purebreds are cute and all, but that isn't a big deal to me.

DH, on the other hand, is very picky about getting a dog. He wants specific breeds and he wants them from a certified breeder. I understand that he wants to know what we are getting and how it was "raised." But, to me, plenty of animals are "mutts" and didn't come from great homes and are still good pets.

The whole horrible pet store thing, I understand, but that doesn't mean those poor puppies don't deserve homes.

Anyways, we found out that the Navy Exchange Pet Store is getting Golden Retriever puppies from their "breeder" in March(which is around the time we wanted to get a pup if we could find one). I would love to give one a home, but DH sat me down and read an article to me about "Pet Store Puppies" and told me he didn't want to buy one of their puppies.

I'm really sad, but I think I may over reacting... Someone talk to me. Crying

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers TTC #2 ~ Cycle 7

Re: PET Question... (LONG)

• Thank you for responding... I accidentally deleted it, trying to reply. I kept getting errors and stuff. LOL I really know how to screw things up on the net.

Anyways. I agree with my husband too, usually. I just think I am being a big baby right now. I think it is bedtime. Wink

• I am a firm believer in adopting from the SPCA.  I currently have two rescue dogs and they have both been great (one did need lots of work in the training department, but he was just under a year old and an aussie mix so it was energy and smarts that had me working to keep up with him)  He did house break quickly though.  

I would think that the NEX would use a reputable breeder.. We were stationed at pearl a few years ago, but I don't have any experience with the pet shop there other than buying pet supplies.  Can they give you information on the breeder or background on the parents etc?  I would at least ask.

There are also rescue organization that have only specific breads, but again I don't know what they have on island.  the rescues usualy are better about getting to know the dog and placing them where they will thrive.. Might be an option if you can find one there on island.

Good luck and boy do I miss hawaii!

• Loading the player...
  • imagekellygirl_1997:
    I would think that the NEX would use a reputable breeder.. We were stationed at pearl a few years ago, but I don't have any experience with the pet shop there other than buying pet supplies.  Can they give you information on the breeder or background on the parents etc?  I would at least ask.

We are going back tomorrow to ask about getting the breeders information. DH says that if they can't or will not give it to us, then it is a definite NO. He says if we can get information and possibly speak with the breeder and see the parents, see papers, and see what kind of environment they have lived in, then we may get one.

• I am a big supporter of local shelters and rescues.  We adopted our dog there at 8 weeks and she is AMAZING.  I know people brag about their kids and pets, but honestly everyone tells us how well trained she is and the best "mutt" they've met.  I couldn't be happier knowing that she loves being with us and was saved from being put down.  Try going on petfinder.com and you can put in what type of dog you are looking for male/female, age, breed, size, etc and they will find local shelters that have dogs which meet your match.  It's like match.com for puppies :) 

Not trying to be pushy, but personally I would never by a dog from a pet store, I just don't like what goes on there.  But whatever your choice, goodluck and at least check out what your local shelters have, there are some fabulous dogs there! 

• I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, but I would not get a puppy that close to having a baby. I have a puppy that's 8 months old and she's still a lot of work. Puppies needs LOTS of attention and training and you can do that for a few months and then the dog will get put on the backburner. I understand really wanting a puppy, but you have to consider what's best for the dog too. But if you decide to get one anyways, I'm with your DH... if the NEX won't tell you where the dogs come from, then that's a no go. But shelter pets can be great. Both of mine came from breeders... but when I was up in AK I was going to have to get a dog from the lower 48 shipped to me because there were no breeders for the breed I wanted in AK. I would imagine you might run into the same problem in HI. Good luck!
  • I would NOT get a puppy right now.  This is coming from someone who LOVES golden retrievers (see siggy pic).

A puppy is like having a baby in the house.  You're up all the time, and all your time ends up devoted to trying to train them.  You really have to be with all the time if you want to train them right.  It's exhausting.

The problem is when baby comes you won't be able to devote all that time to puppy, and you can't really get a puppy baby ready when you're trying to potty train and don't-chew-the-house-down train them.  So baby will be a HUGE adustment to the dog, and the dog could very easily end up resenting the baby because of this.  Suddenly you don't have the time, and the dog won't understand why.

Second, goldens are pretty rough as puppies (as are all dogs, really).  They are the greatest dogs, and the most wonderful pets for kids, but they are hell as puppies (a lot of goldens end up in shelters because owners can't handle them as puppies).  They chew and they have SO MUCH energy.  They also go through a significant nippy phase (all dogs do) where they use those SHARP little puppy teeth on just about everything - they don't know any better and it's part of training to teach them.  In the mean time, I went through a dozen shirts that got wholes in them and quite a few nips on my hands and legs.  What will you do when the puppy, just being a puppy, nips the baby because he/she is "playing"?  Or nips you because it isn't getting enough attention because you're focused on baby?

Anyways - sorry so long - but I would really wait until after the baby is here, for your sake AND for the dog's sake.  A lot of dogs end up getting rehomed because the owners had no idea what they were in store for with puppies...

• Please do not get a puppy from a pet store unless you do a ton of research on the actual breeder. Big red flag if they do not give you that information. I am a huge fan of adopting, there are so many dogs that need good homes.

I also agree with the others that now might not be the ideal time to get a puppy. Puppies are SO much work!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekellygirl_1997:

I am a firm believer in adopting from the SPCA.  I currently have two rescue dogs and they have both been great (one did need lots of work in the training department, but he was just under a year old and an aussie mix so it was energy and smarts that had me working to keep up with him)  He did house break quickly though.  

I am too. Any shelter for that matter. Look around too...many shelters have pure bred dogs and not just mutts.

You can always point out to your DH that even with a reputable breeder, you don't know what you're getting. You know the basic temperaments of the breed and trainability,  but each dog will have his/her own personality still.

If you go the route of the breeder, I highly suggest you run the breeder by the girls on the pets board bc they can tell you if it is truly a reputable breeder and why or why not.

Also, I didn't notice...how far along are you? There are considerations if you get a dog. Please note, I'm just trying to be helpful here, so don't take this as me telling you "don't do it". I'm simply saying think about this. For the first few days at least, you'll need someone there to help you take the dog in and out, play with him, etc.If there won't be anyone there, what will you do? Hire a dog walker for a few days? Doggy Day Care for a few days? Just things to check in to. If you have a little dog, it might be easier (I have a 9mos old husky/lab mix), but you still won't want to get up constantly to let the dog out bc you'll be tired and recovering.

Also, if you do get the puppy, page me (if you want of course). I have a great blog, CD, and now some experience "baby proofing" my puppy. I'm training him now with baby sounds and gear and such so when the baby comes she's the only new thing (not all the stuff as well), so he knows how to handle lots of the situations and its less stress for me, bc I know when I turn on the bouncy seat he won't think its his toy and he'll ignore it. If you'd like those suggestions and such, let me know and I'd be happy to share them with you  :)

• imagekellygirl_1997:

I am a firm believer in adopting from the SPCA.  I currently have two rescue dogs and they have both been great (one did need lots of work in the training department, but he was just under a year old and an aussie mix so it was energy and smarts that had me working to keep up with him)  He did house break quickly though.  

I am too. Any shelter for that matter. Look around too...many shelters have pure bred dogs and not just mutts.

You can always point out to your DH that even with a reputable breeder, you don't know what you're getting. You know the basic temperaments of the breed and trainability,  but each dog will have his/her own personality still.

If you go the route of the breeder, I highly suggest you run the breeder by the girls on the pets board bc they can tell you if it is truly a reputable breeder and why or why not.

Also, I didn't notice...how far along are you? There are considerations if you get a dog. Please note, I'm just trying to be helpful here, so don't take this as me telling you "don't do it". I'm simply saying think about this. For the first few days at least, you'll need someone there to help you take the dog in and out, play with him, etc.If there won't be anyone there, what will you do? Hire a dog walker for a few days? Doggy Day Care for a few days? Just things to check in to. If you have a little dog, it might be easier (I have a 9mos old husky/lab mix), but you still won't want to get up constantly to let the dog out bc you'll be tired and recovering.

Also, if you do get the puppy, page me (if you want of course). I have a great blog, CD, and now some experience "baby proofing" my puppy. I'm training him now with baby sounds and gear and such so when the baby comes she's the only new thing (not all the stuff as well), so he knows how to handle lots of the situations and its less stress for me, bc I know when I turn on the bouncy seat he won't think its his toy and he'll ignore it. If you'd like those suggestions and such, let me know and I'd be happy to share them with you  :)

• It's already been said, but I wouldn't get a puppy either.  If you really want to get a dog I would rescue an older dog, maybe you can find one that is already trained?  I rescued a terrier/mutt about 8 years ago, she was a fully a grown dog.  Best decision I ever made.  She is old now, and really lazy sleeps all of the time.  I think she won't even notice a baby around.
  • Two things - I would never buy a dog from a pet store.  If you really want a certain breed, consider a breed specific rescue or seek out a really good breeder.

Second, you DO NOT want to get a puppy now.  You are due in May/June and there is no way you can train a young dog to be the kind of dog you'd need by the time your baby gets here.  Puppyhood lasts for 2-3 years in some dogs, so unless you plan on adopting an older puppy (1.5+ yrs), you will not have the time to train your dog properly (i.e. to be well behaved, good with people and infants).

Sorry to be debbie downer, but I couldn't imagine getting up every two hour to breast feed AND letting a young puppy out to potty.  Or even making sure the puppy is getting enough exercise when you are recovering from delivery.

• I just re-read your post....if I could add a few more comments....a golden (in general bc as I said above,each pup is different) is easy to train, but very energetic. Also, it looks like you're due around the same time as me in May, so be aware that you *may* still be potty training/ training to walk on leash, etc. ALL the basics. I kind of agree with pp....go for an older dog...1 year old even when the "puppyness" is mostly over...they should be done biting, chewing, etc. I know you'll stay at home with the puppy, but training a puppy is difficult and even if you are home 24/7with him/her, it still takes time (not hours wise but weeks wise). Trust me...with a 9mos old husky/lab, I can promise you, there is alot of frustration, time, and energy that goes into training a large-breed puppy (smaller breeds seem easier to me only bc you can pick them up if they are misbehaving...I know you shouldn't, but you can...with my dog if he's in something he really shouldn't be, there's no way I can pick him up as he's now 55lbs). We've been working with a trainer since we got him at 8 weeks old. He's great at training, but he has TONS of energy and if he jumps on me, we're talking elbows or shoulders, not calves. 

So my point (sorry about the ramble) is that you should consider that a golden is a large-breed dog with energy and right when s/he's hitting real puppy (instead of sleep-alot puppy), is right around when your baby is due. So think about the help you may or may not have and how you would handle it...bc trust me...I would not have wanted a brand new baby when I was teaching Harley not to chew on the cords in the house and not to chase the cat  lol.

• Stay far far away from the pet stores. I am in the pet industry (I own a pet suppy store) and I can assure you that those dogs are from a puppy mill. There are no RESPONSIBLE breeders that sell to a pet store. Good breeders breed for the love of the breed of dog and they want to make sure their pups go to good homes.If the pet store is telling you the puppy is from a breeder they are flat out lying. I understand that you want to "save" the puppy from the store but you are just fueling the fire and making it even harder to put a stop to this horrendous industry. I have many friends that are involved in rescuing dogs from these puppy mills and I can tell you stories that will make your toes curl. I mean disturbing disturbing things these puppy mill owners do to these poor puppies and momma dogs. Do you really want to put money in their pocket so they can continue?

Now that that's out of the way, do you really want a puppy? They take a lot of hard work and they continue to be really hard work for at least a year. It's like taking care of an infant (if you think about it, they really are just babies). I have many customers who get puppies and are very excited the first day they bring them in and within a couple of weeks are ready to pull their hair out. They didn't realize how much work they are. We are actually planning on starting a puppy support group where puppy owners can come in and chat/vent/share stories of having a puppy. It's very rewarding but very hard work. Are you ready to raise a puppy and a baby at the same time?

There are a TON of adult dogs on death row just because people would rather have a puppy. These aren't stray dogs pulled off the street. A lot of them are pure bred, trained, well behaved dogs whose owners moved, got sick or even passed away. If you want to save a dog, these are the ones who REALLY need to be saved.

Also, you and your husband need to be on the exact same page before you do this. If he is that adamant about getting a pure breed from a breeder, fine. But make sure it's from a REALLY GOOD BREEDER and not from the pet store. You should be able to meet with the breeder, meet BOTH parents of the puppy, see the house that the puppy was raised in (making sure it's in clean condition, there are not a million cages everywhere, etc). The breeder should know the breed like the back of their hand, should be able to answer any crazy question you have about the breed. They also should be asking YOU a million questions. They should be sincerely concerned about the puppy and make sure YOU are a good home. If they say no because they are worried with the new baby coming then accept that they know better than you (because honestlym they do). Don't throw a temper tantrum and run to the nearest pet store, be an adult about it.

Sorry this was so long, lol. Like I said, this is stuff I deal with every day so I'm just being honest and giving you the best advice I can give that I've learned from a ton of peoples experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Good luck!!!!

• imageedbenbow:
    I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, but I would not get a puppy that close to having a baby. I have a puppy that's 8 months old and she's still a lot of work. Puppies needs LOTS of attention and training and you can do that for a few months and then the dog will get put on the backburner.

We're in the same boat - 8 month old puppy and OMG some days it is still so hard.  He is at that point where he KNOWS how to be good, knows the commands, but he won't listen at all.  I'm glad that he will be around 16 months when baby gets here - hopefully he will listen better by then.

ETA: We love our puppy and are glad we have him, but if we could go back in time, we would have adopted a 2+ year old dog instead of a 4mo puppy.

• imageedbenbow:
    I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, but I would not get a puppy that close to having a baby. I have a puppy that's 8 months old and she's still a lot of work. Puppies needs LOTS of attention and training and you can do that for a few months and then the dog will get put on the backburner. I understand really wanting a puppy, but you have to consider what's best for the dog too. !

This is a really good point. It will be extremely difficult to train a puppy properly when you are also focusing on being a new mom and taking care of a newborn. There is a really good chance that the dog will not end up being trained as well as you plan and then you have an untrained dog around a baby. Do you really want to overwhelm yourself like that?

Dogs are amazing to have as members of the family. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I'm just worried you don't fully understand what you're getting into at the same time as being a new mom. It might be best to wait. I'm sorry :( Just being honest.

• What you need is a support dog reject!  You know, the doggies that have been trained for a year to help people who are blind, deaf, ill, etc, but are too friendly to actually work for them.  They are amazingly trained!  You often see them walking around with the little jacket things saying, "work dog in training" or something like that.  That's what I would do if I wanted a dog so close to the birth of my child.  :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am a crazy dog lady - I train and compete with my dogs, as well as do work with local rescue groups.  I would recommend that you NOT get a puppy right now.  Maybe an older well behaved dog, but puppies are way too much work, even when they're 3 - 4 months old.  The puppy will not be 100% housebroken by then, and you don't want to be dealing with that and a new baby.  Also, 3 - 4 months is when you should start going to basic obedience classes, which will be pretty difficult with a brand new baby.  Dogs don't really "grow up" until 1 1/2 - 2 years old.  And some never do (especially if they don't get proper training when they are younger!)

Also, DO NOT BUY A PUPPY FROM A PETSTORE or a backyard breeder.  You can check out the petstore breeder if you want, but I can guarantee that it is a puppy mill.  Look into local rescues - a lot of them rescue dogs from puppy mills and adopt them out.  And before you get them they will be altered, and you will know if they have any "issues" from being mill dogs (usually they won't even adopt them out until these issues are resolved - at least our rescue won't.)

I have one dog from a BYB and another one from a reputable breeder (a reputable breeder prob. wouldn't sell you a puppy right now anyway, b/c it just isn't a good idea to have a new puppy and a new baby).  One has horrible teeth and genetic hip dysplasia.  He was cheaper at first, but I have spent hundreds of dollars on his health care, and I don't know how long it will be before I have to make some very hard decisions, even though he is only 7.  My other dog has no health issues, and I have access to his pedigree and health testing on his ancestors, so the likelihood of hip dysplasia, eye problems and heart problems are very, very low.  Also, I still talk with his breeder all the time, and can get advice or ask questions whenever I want. Higher cost at the outset, lower cost overall.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I don't see any reason to not get a puppy. If you have the time and patience.  I would rather get one before the baby comes than after.  I don't think it matters pure bred or "mutt", my only input is make sure it is a puppy, puppy.  If you get an older puppy, you still never know what it has been through.  I wouldnt want the baby to do something to set it off.  JMO  Good luck!  Dogs are great!!Smile
  • imagekellygirl_1997:

There are also rescue organization that have only specific breads, but again I don't know what they have on island.  the rescues usualy are better about getting to know the dog and placing them where they will thrive.. Might be an option if you can find one there on island.

Good luck and boy do I miss hawaii!

This- our smartest dogs have all come from shelters. I know your husband seems against it, but there are breed specific resues as well.  My favorite story is about chip, our beagle- we saw him on petfinder with his mom and two brothers, and we actually wanted one of the others, but when my mom got there to pick him up, chip was the only one left at the police station. while she was trying to fill out paperwork for him, he tugged her purse under the desk :) We always joke that he must have been in the station too long since he was already becoming a pickpocket lol. anyway, My mom works at a school and when he was younger (around4) she used to take him to work with her to play with kids because he did so many tricks (lay down, sit, shake, guess which hand the treat is in, jump through hula hoops  or arms) they loved it. He is still very very intelligent. I cant say enough good things about shelter dogs!

• You will not have time to properly train a puppy whatsoever before your LO is born.  Puppies are typically hyper & need strict schedules & rules for the first 2 years before they settle down.  Worst idea ever.  Seriously.

And your H is correct re: pet store puppies. 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I raised a blue heeler puppy when I was on bedrest with my second... it actually worked out really well and he's an awesome dog... those first few weeks of "attachment parenting" really helped in socializing him and in perfect housetraining because I was right there with him the whole time.  I did NOT choose this though!!  He wa a mother's day present from my DH who was SUPPOSED to get me some laying hens... and brought home a herding dog instead!  I was going to keep the puppy and send the husband to a shelter I was SOOO pissed!

Anyway- I think that getting the puppy now is better than after the baby is born- because you can focus on just the puppy for a few months and the baby- in the beginning- is going to be in your arms or up all the time... if you wait till next year- the baby will be crawling all over the place and face level with the little pup. 

I do think looking into an adult dog from a purebred rescue is a great idea.

Adopting from a shelter is a bit of a gamble- sometimes you get a gem and sometimes you get a total problem.  Adopting from a rescue "rescues" a dog just as much as adopting out of a shelter- but the dogs, because of the way they are fostered- are going to have more socialization and a better temperment profile and be matched to your family better than what you can deduce from the shelter enviornment.

Please for YOUR sake- do not buy from a pet store.  Aside from the ethical issues about puppy mills etc... NO reputable breeder would let their puppies be sold to the general public in what amounts to as impulse buying... a breeder who cares about their breed and their reputation- would not do that to their pups- a reputable breeder has a waiting list for their puppies.

but most importantly- MILL PUPPIES are usually broken. It's sad, sure they are souls as much as any other dog who deserves love... but due to the way they were kept in cages-(a problem in itself that you don't want to support) the natural canine hygiene habits pups are born with- are often effectivly destroyed for life.  Housebreaking a puppy who has those instincts intact is a breeze- because the dog understands it does not want to soil it's own bed/home/enviornment... a mill puppy- it's bed is it's potty- and it's sadly very common to be unable to housebreak these dogs because they just don't get it anymore- your housebreaking efforts are an abstraction to them as much as if you asked them to only step on the dark tiles of the floor but not the light colored ones.

• Definitely a big no to a puppy before baby comes, and an even bigger no to a pet store puppy. I really get that you want a dog, but you need to level with yourself--you are being selfish to think you can have a puppy trained and settled in before your baby comes and your priorities have to shift. Your looking at 2 years until a dog is at all settled down.

When the time is right, your DH has the right idea about breeders--although I don't even know what certified means. You would want a good breeder that shows their dogs and is dedicated to preserving the breed standard, not some person breeding "AKC puppies" in their back yard. Or you could go the rescue route, considering they have a ton of pure bred puppies that really need homes.

• I have to agree with those who are telling you not to get a puppy right now.  They are WAY more work than you're used to with two cats.  With a new baby on top of it, it's going to be be way more work than you'll want to deal with..

I have two dogs (ages 8 and 4) and one cat, and I'm worried about being able take care of them to the extent that THEY need once the baby arrives.  My dogs are older and ALREADY TRAINED, and it's going to be a ton of work that I'm already dreading.

GL to you--- I'd say wait til you're kiddo is over a year before you consider getting a puppy.  You and your husband won't be able to devote the time needed to the puppy that it needs/deserves if there's a baby around.

• I just want to say that we have two shelter mutts that are the BEST dogs!!  I agree that the pet store puppies need a home too, but chances are, someone will come along and buy them.  The shelter dogs aren't always as lucky.  I will say, though, that we got both of our dogs as puppies.  We adopted an adult shelter dog once, and had to find him a home because he was deathly afraid of DH.  I'm sure that not all adult shelter dogs are that way, but we've had good luck with the puppies. 

• It doesn't take only a few months to train a puppy. It takes years. They're much like children in that it has to be a consistent, continuing process for them. By May, though you would have trained your puppy for months, it still will be a puppy. Some dogs don't grow out of the "puppy" stage for a year or two, sometimes more. Sometimes never! It doesn't matter where you get the puppy, you NEVER know what their personality will be. Just because a certain breed has certain aspects to them, doesn't necessarily mean you "know what you're getting", as your DH put it.

I'm not discouraging you from getting a puppy, but I will always discourage breeders and puppy stores, whether either or one of them are reputable. There are plenty of pure breed dogs that are living in the shelter waiting for homes, even little cutesy puppies. Also, I would recommend checking out foster dogs. They aren't living in the shelter, but they are in need of a forever home too. 

I rescued an American Bulldog/Pit Bull as a foster on my own a little over a month ago. He is only 9 months, still very much a puppy, energetic and playful, but at the end of the day, my 3 dogs are such a joy to be around. 

• Your husband sounds like my dad, he never wanted a "mutt" either. However, I am very different and I believe some of the best pets are adopted or free. Now that I am older my parents have become fond of cats because in college I had to give them one of mine to take care of. With that, maybe if you brought a puppy home your husband will find it so irresistible that he will change his mind. It's a risky choice, but it worked for me. Good Luck.
  • No matter if you adopt a rescue dog or a dog from a shelter, you need to make sure you have time to devote to the dog.  You need to build trust and establish routines immediately.

Our dogs were 3 and a half years old when we adopted them from a rescue shelter.  They were used as breeding dogs and had to take time to learn how to be pets. I think that if we would have adopted them and had an infant or toddler, they wouldn't have made the progress that they have made up to this point. 

Whatever you choose, please please don't buy from a pet store.  My dogs are cocker spaniels and are small for their breed, so I know that they were probably cross bred with poodles or another small dog to make designer puppies.  Meanwhile, my dogs, Lyla and Lola, were treated like cattle.  They didn't learn how to walk on a leash or play with toys.  After six months with us, they are finally acting like happy pets.  It's heartbreaking to think about their lives before us and that it was all for the money that was made from their tiny designer puppies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I totally get what you're saying about your DH! Mine was so strongly against ever owning a mutt and when we met he refused to even go to a shelter and look! So we had two pure breed dogs, and don't get me wrong they're wonderful, but it wasn't until his friend wanted to get a dog that we all went to a shelter... Needless to say, he fell madly in love with a chow-Newfoundland mix! He loves that dog more then me, I'm pretty sure :) but just try taking your DH to a shelter, it's pretty impossible to not want to leave with at LEAST one! Then again, I get where everyone is coming from with the puppy thing, but it really comes down to the dog I think. My boxer was HELL to train as a puppy! We are still working with him and he's almost three, but our chow-newfie is PERFECT! He's very chill and every now and then we have an issue but he just turned one (we've had him since 2 mo. old) and he's been the easiest to train and just tons of fun! GL!!
  • If you are set on getting a dog NOW I would not get a puppy.  As a pp mentioned, brand new puppies are a lot of work and require lots of time and attention, I just don't think it would be fair to the dog, your baby, or yourself to take on the responsibility of a new puppy this close to having a baby.  If you really want a dog, get one that is a little older, even just a year old.  While they still require time and attention, it is nothing like that of a brand new puppy.  If you are set on getting a puppy wait until your baby is older.

Plus, everyone wants puppies.  Adopting an older dog would potentially be saving it's life since a lot of people pass them up.  I personally will only get future pets from a rescue or shelter.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ok, here's my two cents as a big dog person and someone who has a 5 year old Golden Retriever.

-I do not suggest a pet store. Even if by chance they are not from a puppy mill, it sort of perpetuates the cycle. Also, Goldens have a big risk for hip dysplasia and getting one from a store without getting to meet the parents is a bad idea. I found my baby actually by meeting the mother when she was pregnant and seeing what a wonderful dog she was and how calm and wonderful with lots of kids around, and knowing that was definately the line I wanted my dog to be from. It was a family breeder, they only had one or two litters from the mom dog and they were all kept with the human family and not outside in the yard or anything like that. So just keep an eye out for maybe ads in the paper or people you know who have goldens and ask where they got their dogs. Just check the breeders out and make sure you see where the dogs/puppies stay and meet the parents.

-Second, as much as I love my dog and she was such a fun, well-behaved puppy, I couldn't deal with another puppy right now. I am also a SAHW and a military wife, but Golden puppies need a lot of attention and a lot of exercise and entertainment and that lasts up til about 1 year and a half to 2 years. They're gonna wanna go outside a lot at weird hours of the night. Basically picture having a baby before you have your real baby and having to deal with both.  

-I could tell you all the stuff about shelters and older dogs, but everyone has said all that. I just wouldn't get one right now, and it pains me to say that because I'd totally have to be stopped myself if someone offered to give me a golden puppy right now, but just try to wait until after your baby arrives.

• My best friend and her hubby bought a purebred Pug from a "pet store" and it was literally sick for the first 4-5 months they had it. It had kennel cough they could not cure -- they spent so much $$ on medications, etc, trying to cure it. Then when they went to spay it, the anesthesia almost killed the dog (its heart stopped) -- I know it's probably unrelated to the dog being from a pet store, but could be related to it having been so sick the first 4-5 months of its life. I definitely suggest rescuing. You should check to see if your state has a purebred rescue for Goldens -- Colorado does and its a great way to rescue a dog but still get the purebred your hubby is looking for.
  • Oh and by the way -- I can't even imagine getting another puppy knowing that I'm pregnant and baby is due in July. I have a 3 yr old chocolate lab and she was and still is a handful. IMO, its a recipe for distaster.
  • Well, I'll probably get flamed for this - but I got one of my dogs from the pet store, and I'd do it again in her situation. I'm sorry, but by the time the dogs are in the pet store, the puppy mill people have already gotten their money. Unless every single person decides to quit buying from there, then there's no way to stop the cycle. Sentencing a little puppy to living in a glass box or being put down because they're taking up space in a pet store just doesn't seem like the answer to me. Unless the pet stores themselves start putting more restrictions on the puppies they sale and where they come from, (or any other number of other ways to restrict them with laws/regulations) there's no way to stop them from dropping off these poor puppies at pet shops and getting money all the time. (On top of that, a lot of dogs that end up in pet stores end up there because their irresponsible owners didn't bother to get them fixed - and their dogs got knocked up by the neighbors. Not ALL dogs end up there because they come from puppy mills.) I just don't believe in punishing the dogs just because there are irresponsible/horrible puppy mill people out there. Something else needs to be done to prevent the puppy mill people from breeding - but not buying from pet stores isn't going to be the thing that stops it.

When my husband asked for a Bloodhound, I found a reputable breeder and paid a pretty penny for him - and he is totally worth it. But one day when we went into the pet store to pick up some food for our lizard, I saw two mutts who were already three months old and discounted to 50 bucks. If we hadn't gotten her, I don't know that someone else would have for as old as she had gotten, and the pet store might have had to just "get rid of her." I couldn't let that happen just because she was in a pet store. On top of that - we found out she was born completely deaf. It's a lot of extra work to train a deaf dog - and if someone else had gotten her they might have dropped her off at a shelter because of her disability. If we hadn't gotten her - she wouldn't have the life she has today. (And she's awesome at sign language!)

Oh - and ya - don't get a puppy right now. It'll be all cute and what not until the baby gets here - and then you won't be able to give it the attention it needs, which will cause behavior problems. I'd wait until you have your kid on a schedule so you can know how much time you'd actually have to devote to the dog.

Kinley Joy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am a huge dog lover and can't really add much else to the debate aside from a personal story regarding allergies. My husband is severely allergic to dogs so we have a hypoallergenic dog, but my girlfriend wasn't so lucky. they had a beloved jack russell mix that was the center of their world. Their newborn son however developed asthma and they had to make the heartbreaking decision to rehome thier dog.  It was the hardest thing she has ever had to do and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Aside from how hard the training is (and it is HARD) the thing I would be most afraid of is loving this puppy and then risk the possibilty of having to rehome him. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"