3rd Trimester

Game - WORST GIFT

This reminds me of those people who have fashion shows of old Bride's Maids dresses.  Let's see who got the most usless, corniest, or "out there" gift for LO at a baby shower.

All the baby showers are over. "WHAT WAS THE WORST GIFT YOU GOT?" 

*Please note that I am grateful for all my gifts and for the people who got them for me. I'm lucky to have such a wonderful family and friends.

Re: Game - WORST GIFT

• DH's Aunt got us these totally random yellow and blue ceramic ducks.  We did not have a duck or even animal theme for our nursery.  I guess she just liked them.  The card with it was weird too.  First, it wasn't a baby card - it had a pair of high heels on the front.  Then she had ripped off the second half where the message would normally be and just wrote "Congratulations" and her name on the back of the high heel picture.  It was weird.  Not the worst gift I am sure. but it was odd!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I know it's the thought that counts BUT at one of my baby showers with DS1, one of my cousins packaged up a BOX of used clothes (some completely stained and unwashed) wrapped them up and tied with a bow. ?Really?! ?I appreciate anything, but used baby clothes need not be wrapped up. ?I had probably 25 people at my shower and I was so stunned that I didn't know what to say! I ended up pulling out each article of clothing and commenting just as I would've done if it was all brand new. ?
  • Loading the player...
  • We got, from a friend of MIL, what looks like a homemade blanket.  It's just weird.  Why would this woman (whom I've met like once) go to the trouble to make us this blanket.  And, our theme (and 90% of the cloth things we registered for) is puppies, in blues and browns.  This is a bear in all primary colors.  I don't get it.  It's not a bad gift, per se, just weird. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not the worst gift but definitely an odd one...

My DH's family has this inside joke (we're talking for YEARS now) about lobsters.  It's a tradition for them to buy one another different, random lobster themed things for Christmas.  Well, for the baby's room we got this very nice, hand carved and painted, lobster table lamp.  It's pretty funny and will go in the nursery even though it doesn't exactly fit our theme but it was definitely strange to open a gift labeled for the baby and see a wooden lobster looking up at me. 

To be fair, we also got very nice matching lobster candle pillars for our wedding...

ETA:

I almost forgot one!  We got a box from DH's grandfather the other day.  Inside was a very, very nice hand crocheted baby blanket that a friend of his had made and...a soft gun case for a handgun.  He said it was for DH because "none of his guns he currently owned would fit in it" but it was definitely a shock to see it packaged with the baby blanket.  He also previously sent us a camo shirt sized for a four year old for when LO is "ready to go turkey hunting."  Gotta love him but he's a bit eccentric! 

image image
  • nothing!  from my MIL....not so much as a card congratulating us on our pregnancy or the arrival of the baby!

(BTW...we got the same nothing for a wedding gift)

• Bird feeder in the shape of a baby with a bonnet because nothing says welcome like birds eating out of a baby.

• A magnetic bracelet that has ten pictures of various saints on it (probably bought at a dollar store).  I originally thought it was a gag gift for Christmas, but no, I was informed it was for the baby.  We're not religious, and I guess my stepfather's parents felt that the baby needed something religious... I guess.  So odd.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • The offer... no more like the insistance to cut the cord... Not sure how you'll do that from the waiting room!
  • My step-MIL got us a huge, hideous, wooden mirror which is painted with a weird burgundy/black/dark green design that looks like a cross between vines and curtains you would find in a haunted house. It's difficult to explain how ugly it is. Seriously it is huge and chunky and has no place ANYWHERE in our house, let alone a baby's room. It would probably fall off the wall and kill someone.

The worst part is she won it at a school raffle. Ugh. I don't care how much you spend, and I don't even care if I like the present or not but I DO care if you put thought into it or not... and she clearly did not.

• A porcelin baby doll thats head spins and it sings.
  • imagenlvaden:
    A porcelin baby doll thats head spins and it sings.

geesh....this scares me!!!  LOL

• A baby book titled " God Gave Us You." Very sweet sentiment, and I appreciate the thought...but DH and I are atheists.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My shower theme was ducks since we're team green. They were cute & people took them home with them (there were literally 200 around the entire room all dressed differently). Everyone signed a big duck but I have no idea where that's going yet. As for an actual gift, thoughtful and nice, not weird, but a huge Pooh Bear. I like Pooh & all, but it's one of those "what am I going to do with this?" Pooh is currently sitting on the floor next to the rocking chair. Our nursery doesn't really have a 'theme' per say, but it's a sunny yellow with green stripes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesoko987:
    A baby book titled " God Gave Us You." Very sweet sentiment, and I appreciate the thought...but DH and I are atheists.

We got lots of children's bibles from DH's very Catholic side of the family despite the fact that everyone knows while not atheists, we dont realy believe in any organized religion.  DS is almost 2 and we still weekly get the "when is he being baptized?" question.  Ughhh....never.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagesoko987:
    A baby book titled " God Gave Us You." Very sweet sentiment, and I appreciate the thought...but DH and I are atheists.

This made me LOL. ?Some people... ?

• imagelovinfall:

Bird feeder in the shape of a baby with a bonnet because nothing says welcome like birds eating out of a baby.

Hahahahaha!  This made me laugh out loud. Yes

• imagesoko987:

LMAO...ohh thats great, someone must think you guys need god in your life.

• From one of MIL's sisters we received a onesie that says "does this diaper make my butt look big?" in pink and purple letters.  The shower invite was all blue and clearly stated we were having a boy. 
  • My MIL gave us the ugliest stuffed dog. I'm not talking a cute cuddly stuffed dog, I'm talking something you buy at a craft show. When I pulled it out, DH goes, "look it's clifford  the big red dog!!" It's big and the legs and head are attached by buttons (real kid friendly I know) and it is stuffed hard!!! Then there is a giant ivy bow... looks like a decoration for christmas!! I have no clue how to get away with keeping that out of sight without MIL getting offended.

• imagesoko987:

This reminds me of MIL's gift to us for DS #1.  In the box, at the bottom (you know, so we wouldn't think she was being pushy) was a little booklet called something like "Raising Your Child in God's Image" or some such BS.  It was another fabulous publication from the televangelist she sends money to.  We got something similar for our wedding full of crap about how I'm supposed to "obey" and "submit" to my husband.  Lady, have we met?  At all?

• DH's aunt made us a quilt.  It's primary colors - red, yellow and blue - and the pattern is going to give our baby an epileptic seizure.  I feel bad because I know it's not easy to make a quilt... but it is sooo fug.

I'm going to hell Embarrassed 

• imageDlabrecq:
    The offer... no more like the insistance to cut the cord... Not sure how you'll do that from the waiting room!

LOL

• All I am going to say is that my SIL and MIL have the worst taste in baby/kid clothes, and a knack for picking out the loudest and most obnoxious toy at the store.  Without fail, I can count on it every time. 

My g'ma, who used to sew a lot when I was younger, has completely lost her taste.  The things she has sewn for DS have all been so ugly I can hardly bear to put them on him.  Which is too bad, bc if they fabric wasn't peach polyester, they would be really nice outfits!

• Ladies, I would LOVE to see some pictures of these items!

OP, great thread idea, BTW...

My shower is in a couple of weeks...starting to worry now...heheheh!

• Stuffed animal hedgehog that has a certificate for naming a star. Cute but odd.
  • Oooh I think I win!

At my work shower, one of our oldest, most highly respected co-workers told me - after all the presents had been opened - that he couldn't find my registry at Target.  So, he ended up handing me a white business envelope with something bulky on the inside. 

I opened it and, lo and behold, cut up pita bread was on the inside.  No explanation at all.  We passed it around the table and people were trying to pull the bread apart to see what was on the inside, nothing.  Nothing.  No explanation - just... pita bread.

• A few weeks ago, my aunt randomly mailed us a big box of things she found at a thrift store.  Mostly just old, ratty blankets.  Though, there was also an old, cheap wall clock in there that had animals on it instead of numbers... so instead of it being 12:00, it was "rooster" and at 12:00, you'd hear a rooster crowing!  She probably spent more money shipping this box to us than on all the tacky things inside it. 

I must add... for Christmas she had sent us a couple items off our registry, so she's not totally crazy...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  •  I got a baby tank top with 1.50 written in sharpie on the package and a smashed bottle brush set with 1.00 also written on the package.

Also I got tons of clothes and blankets, which is great, but only 2 things are NOT pink. I am swimming in a sea of pink.

• imageNeverKnew:

Oooh I think I win!

At my work shower, one of our oldest, most highly respected co-workers told me - after all the presents had been opened - that he couldn't find my registry at Target.  So, he ended up handing me a white business envelope with something bulky on the inside. 

I opened it and, lo and behold, cut up pita bread was on the inside.  No explanation at all.  We passed it around the table and people were trying to pull the bread apart to see what was on the inside, nothing.  Nothing.  No explanation - just... pita bread.

This might be the funniest thing I've heard in a long time...and most distrubing! 

I got lots of great gifts.  I can't really pick out anything that's too weird or ugly.  The only thing I can think of is an outfit I got from a co-worker.  It was a set of pink and purple Nike onesies and sweat pants.  Nothing to out of the ordinary.  EXCEPT that I coach basketball and cross country and it had cheerleading pictures on it.  Not a huge deal except that everyone knows that the cheerleading coach and I don't get along.  I've got nothing against the sport, just this lady!  She's nuts!  It was kinda a slap in the face!  It's a cute outfit though. 

• My brother-in-law's wife mailed us a plastic grocery bag stuffed full with USED cotton-like absorbant training pants, that she used to potty train her two girls with.

These are the type of training pants with like 8 layers in the crotch and designed for soaking up urine.  Lovely.

• Haven't had my showers yet, but you ladies are making me nervous! *giggle*

On the other hand, when my family found out we were prego, everyone bought me pink things, b/c they assumed I would make a girl...they were wrong! :)

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNeverKnew:

Oooh I think I win!

Wow.  That's just weird.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have two:  I live in FL and I was given two fleece blankets from my uncle.  Then - my sister had a large 30"x40" picture frame made that house 6 VERY random photos of DH and I, together and individually, so that we "can hang it in the nursery for LO to see her parents" - as if she's not living with us and will forget what we look like.  When I say random: two wedding pics, one engagement, one from a vacation, and two from baseball games.  Its huge, doesn't match the nursery colors or decor, and....she spent $170 on it!
  • A snowman outfit in size 3-6 months.  So LO would fit into this approximately May-August.  I'm sure it was on some 99 cent rack somewhere.
  • My BFF made me this amazing basket... with a whole bunch of stuff I can't use :(  I have really sensitive skin and LO will likely too. She knows this but I think just got a head of herself. She got a ton of very fragrant and dye filled toiletries, baby powder, wipes, etc. That's the least practical gift since I know I won't be able to use it.

The worst might be the head to toe tie dye outfit from my aunt (including hat and socks). Overall, I did really well.

• This post is awesome.
  • DH and I are athiests.  That being said, MIL gave me a baby book COVERED in quotes from the bible, and when you open it up it's divided into sections like, "Baby's Christening," "Baby's first prayer time,"  etc.  It also came with a little plastic cross necklace for the baby (I guess for when she's a little older). 

She knows we don't believe in god.  This is the woman who decided our wedding didn't have enough religion in it (we were married outdoors by a justice of the peace), and who took it upon herself to make a long speech about Jesus and the virtues of a god-centered marriage, while everyone was laughing into their dinner. 

I guess she just can't help herself lol.

• We received Christmas Onesies in size 0-3 months.  DH and I doubt our daughter will fit into that size by christmas next year.  Not only that, the clearance price tags were attached and the gift was in a Happy Birthday bag.  I love my family!! lol

• LOL! You girls absolutely crack me up! I got 2 handmade blankets (but I like those). I got a big tote of hand-me-down clothes from my bff... but I asked for those, and they were not wrapped.

I'd say the worst gifts I got were the little "keep sake" things. I don't mean "the outfit LO will come home in" I'm talking things that will never be worn and are completely unusable. I can "keep" them in a box and tell LO when he's older that these are yours but you never wore them... and you never used them in any way. That's why they still look brand new.

• Well, DH and I are Christians, so it wasn't really innappropriate, but just really weird. When DS was born two years ago...a friend of my grandmother's gave us a "statue"....not really a statue but I guess a display piece. It was a giant plastic molded hand and in it was a small plastic baby. Under the hand, on the stand were the words "God's greatest gift."

Lol we ended up giving it away as a white elephant present at  a Christmas party and said how versitile it could be...you could put candy in the giant hand....a stapler....paper clips....possibilities were endless!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"