1st Trimester

Has anyone read the new Dr. Oz pregnancy book yet?

I went to Chapters today and I was looking to get What To Expect When You Are Expecting and then I saw that Dr. Oz has a new one called You Pregnant, I was wondering if anyone has read it yet and if so would you recommend it? I know people really like his other books so I thought maybe it would be good.

Also, are there any other Canadian girls out there that know of a good Canadian based book that they would recommend?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has anyone read the new Dr. Oz pregnancy book yet?

• Have it, but I haven't read it yet.  It seems like it has a lot of good stuff in it, but I'm hostile towards it because my mom gave it to me & she has been trying to get me to read You on a Diet forever - she always wants me to lose weight. Ha. So, I'm not rushing to read it for that reason.  ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"To be pregnant is to be vitally alive, thoroughly woman, and undoubtedly inhabited" - Anne Buchanan
  • I have it and I find it interesting.  It's not a typical "This is what happens month by month" but it offers ways/ideas to help your baby grow healthy with good genetics...somewhat arguing that you can change a babies genetics by how you take care of yourself during pregnancy...I'm not talking eye color, etc...but more like birth weight, etc.  It's good, but it includes a lot of medical terms.  I would skim through it at a bookstore before you by it to see if it's right for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Haha....yeah I totally understand how you feel! I wouldn't be rushing either! I really like his show so I thought the book might be worth picking up!
  • It's good to know that someone else has read it and found it good. I will for sure give it a skim in the book store before I read it! Thanks for the review!!!!!!
  • I read it and really liked it.  I found a lot of the information in it fascinating!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • The Mother of All Pregnancy Books - there is a Canadian version.  It's pretty decent for info.  It doesn't do the month by month thing though.
  • We received this Dr. Oz book as a gift from some friends who new we were trying to get pregnant.  I absolutley love it!  Full of great information and it is written in a sort of comical way which helps Daddy to be follow along.

Even though I am only 7 weeks, I have been referring back to this book to see if everything I am experiencing is normal.  I have yet to come across something that is not explained in the book somewhere.

Seems like they have a great post-birth excersice routine chapter as well.

Happy reading!

• Now I'm sure he is a very smart man and did research, asked experts, etc, but I have issues with people that write books out of their realms of expertise.  While he does apparently have some nutritional background related to cardiovascular health he is not an ob/gyn or a certified nutritionist.

I'm sure nothing in the book is bad for you, but again I don't like it when people write endless books about subjects they don't really have expertise in. 

• Hey, looking over from 2nd tri, I have read it and really like it. Tells you a lot about diets and whats going on inside there, I even go back and look things up when I'm curious.

• DH bought it for me, and I really like it.  I'm not reading it front to back...just picking it up, opening, and reading whatever I open to. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Haven't read it, but I'll have to see if the library has it yet. I love Nina Planck's "Real Food for Mother and Baby", which is more a nutrition-based pg guide.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Thanks ladies!!!!!!! I think I will pick it up. Also, I will look for the Canadian version of that other book as well!!!! I really appreciate the advice!
  • I bought this book as well, and I was a little skeptical because although he is a well-known doctor, I mean, come on, he's never physically given birth to a child.  I ended up reading front to back because I found it a lot more interesting than the other books I had.  A lot of it does have to do with the personal choices you make and how it affects your baby.  I loved it.
    BFP:12/19/09 ~Heard Heartbeat:1/29/10 ~No Heartbeat: 2/6/10~Natural M/C: 2/9/2010 I'll love you forever. I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be. Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have it....it's ok.  I like the Mayo Clinc book better.

imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"